Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 25-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
Hi, I understand but please take three things into account.

1) Originally I wasn't going to release the cars until this weekend anyway, but I gave in to pressure to let you have them early as people wanted to re-build them (my mistake I should have stuck to my guns).

John.
Always stick to your guns! Can't please all the people....
Old 26-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
Hi, I understand but please take three things into account.

1) Originally I wasn't going to release the cars until this weekend anyway, but I gave in to pressure to let you have them early as people wanted to re-build them (my mistake I should have stuck to my guns).

2) I have had a team say they are cooking their motors, and i've had one say it's fine. If I fix the gearing and everyone burns out their motors then who will be responsible? Me. therefore it's going to be open gearing and the cooling you have put in will still give you an advantage as you can run at whatever ratio you want without risking your motor.

3) I bought 15 pinions that might no longer be needed :-(

So advantage still to you :-). Those that haven't looked at cooling will always have to factor in a compromise of speed and heat, or slow and cool.

John.
Hey John,

Sure, I understand - sorry, it was not meant as critiscism. I feel that as most teams probably havent even run the cars in race trim around the Ardent circuit layout anyway we were being a bit premature about changing the gearing rule.

But I understand that you guys can't have an endless supply of motors on tap and nobody wants to be swapping them out every hour anyway, so I can see where you're coming from. Doesnt change what will be a great event, really looking forward to Saturday.

Thanks for your efforts thus far!
Old 27-05-2011

Indeed, my team car hasn't even turned a wheel yet, want to keep it fresh for race weekend. Using a couple of older cars as testers, but with fresh motors and speed controllers we tried different set ups, but might just get along on Saturday to try the Sorex 32's and see how that changes anything, but I think we are literally just going to run the Sprint 2 exactly as it came out of the box, nothing we've tried geometry wise or set up wise has made the slightest bit of difference on the kit tyres. Only limiting the throttle helped improve lap times by refusing to let the tyres break traction so you could concentrate on the fastest line instead of drifting, which was hilarious, but remarkably slower lap times.

On another note, have you seen how much air the HPI Saturn 20T motor pumps out? It's pretty amazing with it's internal fan, and negates the need for a fan on it, though the speed controller could do with a little help if the grip improves with the Sorex 32's fitted instead of the kit tyres.
Old 29-05-2011

quick question about other peoples cars..

anyone else missing the odd screw?? Ours was missing the screws from where the puple aluminium attachs to the rear bulk head on the side where the belt tensioner is.

anyone elses like that?
Old 29-05-2011
Mad Member

Team Doris had an excellent test day. Thanks to all at Ardent for hosting us, and having all the kit available as promised.

We used a T car and the race chassis. The Sorex tyres are good, and with a lot of running on ours, wear was minimal. It seemed to us that the 32s are not as hard on the car as the 28s we used the last time. It isn't that there is much less grip, but it does seem that the car doesn't load the motor as hard.

Our very old motor did release it's built-in smoke capsule, but on dis-assembly it had got a lot of mileage. We practiced a lot with driving styles to check temps, and the way you drive affects temps. Our new motor ran fine, and we did a 30 minute run that went well. A fan on the speedo helps a lot too.

We also did a wet-tyre run, and found a good set up. That stint will provide a respite for the motor, and the key will be consistent driving style and not hitting anything.

There were up to four cars on track, and we all found our way round each other. You spend 10 minutes eking out half a lap lead, and then lose it if you make a single barrier tap. This is going to be really close racing, so congratulations to John for the choice of both car and motor. I hope everyone will help with passing, otherwise there will be a large amount of frustration.

I thought the speeds were quite close, with most differences being confined to what stage the cells were at in their run, and how the motor was being treated by the driver. We tried a few different gear ratios, and ended up back on the one we started with - the 34T pinion on the kit spur!!

Looking forward to it all now, and hoping the other teams are too!
Old 29-05-2011

All good to hear chaps.

Like you say, the driving style and grip will determine temps and longevity. All the motor failures I've had have been brushes wearing out and dropping off their copper spring mounts. I wonder how long they will run for, continuously from new? I expect all teams will suffer similar wear rates and all the motors will die within an hour of each other. Whether that's after 5 hours or 25 hours we shall see! All I know is we'll be starting with a fresh motor right out of the packet. No amount of extra cooling will reduce brush wear, but it might improve performance by reducing magnet temperatures. That in turn might actually promote brush wear by offering extra torque/revs.... we shall see

I hear some teams are trying different drive shafts etc, I hope that is frowned upon as we are trying to run the standard cars to keep costs down. I see there is a heavy motor plate heatsink available as an aftermarket upgrade, similarly I doubt that would be allowed, though home made clip on motor heat sinks will of course be allowed I expect. John?
Old 29-05-2011
Mad Member

I hope that heatsinks will be allowed, however and wherever they come from. It's an obvious thing to do; there are loads out there; it is an easy way to protect the motor. It would be unfortunate if we were not allowed to spend £15 on a heatsink, but had to spend another £30 on replacement motors. John?
Old 29-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
I hope that heatsinks will be allowed, however and wherever they come from. It's an obvious thing to do; there are loads out there; it is an easy way to protect the motor. It would be unfortunate if we were not allowed to spend £15 on a heatsink, but had to spend another £30 on replacement motors. John?
Guys, the rules are simple, cooling mods are welcome, providing you do not replace a kit component with a cooling device. I.e. motor mount replacement to one that aids cooling = NO

Drive shafts being upgraded = NO as you are replacing a kit part.

Shocks being upgraded = NO

Rule of thumb is the only thing you can add is cooling aids providing it doesn't remove kit components.

Clip on cooling = OK

Fan cooling = OK

Holes in shell providing it doesn't ruin the look of the car = OK

On the Saturday we will pass the cars through checks 2 hours before the start of the race, enabling teams to rectify any errors. Teams that do not comply have the option to rectify or be spectators. We want this to be as close as possible and I can not wait!!! :-)
Old 30-05-2011

Good call John.
How about bumpers front and rear to protect the paint work? Cost me bugger all to make, might help the paint stay on with 15 cars on track.
Old 30-05-2011

That's ok Dez

Bumper modifications to protect shell = OK

Bumper modifications to enhance damage to other cars i.e. spikes = NO
Old 30-05-2011

Cool, bumpers are cool.

But no Bodicia Wheel nuts, no flame thrower exhausts or smoke machines, no disco balls with strobe lights, damn, back to the drawing board
Old 30-05-2011

Damm, I guess my high power lazer will have to come off the front of our car now
Old 31-05-2011
Mad Member

John, thanks for the decisions, that all makes sense.
Old 31-05-2011

Are we allowed to replace any of the ball cup?

The steering on our race car is a bit sloppy... We don't have the same problem with the T car.
Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nce View Post

The steering on our race car is a bit sloppy... We don't have the same problem with the T car.

Interesting question, the Sprint2 is very sloppy on the linkages, especially the left hand front is very vague compared to the front right. It would be easy to spot if someone had done improvments even if the ball cups were still black, because if it doesn't slop about it's not original! John?
Old 31-05-2011

Have to agree Dez... if the cars are going to be equal (besides gearing changes & radio stuff etc) surely the cars have to be as closely matched as possible which means tollerences for natural slop in the car & the like has to be the same on every car. I know it's tricky with what is basically a mass produced RTR car to get 2 cars the same in every aspect i.e. there will be minor differences such as play in the linkages & shocks etc between cars, Could it not be possible to allow the use shims of to reduce excessive slop but have such changes be supervised by a scrutineer?

However is it really necessary to go to such measures, if the teams have had their cars early they should of had time to do a complete strip & rebuild & thus put right any errors & flaws from the manufacturing process as we are after all dealing with experienced RC racers who take pride in what they do, not some production line staff in Malaysia or where-ever who don't take pride in their work & just smash the car together to meet a monthly target. Surely experienced RC users who buy an RTR (or even a 2nd hand car) would take the liberty of stripping the car down to it's component parts & rebuilding it to take off any burrs or tighten/loosen any screws or fastenings & making sure the diffs actually have been greased/oiled properly, the shocks are not leaking / have oil in them & the bearings all run free etc etc, especially before putting it onto a track for 24 hours of intensive racing.
Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nce View Post

I had not thought about it until we popped 2 steering linkages off in very gentle contact with the barriers at the test day. Now keen to change them for ones that will stay put for 24hrs.
Given that they have become looser as the car has been stripped and rebuilt and set up adjustments we will replace the standard ones anyway, need to know if they have to be exact replacements.

Jason
Old 31-05-2011

We (Team Stoke RCMCC) have managed to remove the slop out of the steering and ball cups in general without replacing the original ball cups so just checking to see if there is slop won't be an accurate enough test to see if they are original, I think there could be more bracing issues to resolve about the meeting I.E driver changes - changing the driver with every pit stop is gonna to leave us with a maximum of around 40mins in between an individuals stint on track, taking in to account marshalling as well.

Any thoughts?
Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater View Post
I think there could be more bracing issues to resolve about the meeting I.E driver changes - changing the driver with every pit stop is gonna to leave us with a maximum of around 40mins in between an individuals stint on track, taking in to account marshalling as well.

Any thoughts?
Didn't think the rule about changing driver at every pit stop was being enforced anymore...for this very reason. Especially with with 12+ teams, busy rostrum.
Can't see it in the rules on the ardent website.
Old 31-05-2011

I thought it was intended that each team marshalled their own car. Hopefully drivers will be able to do longer stints (especially when half the team are having a kip) otherwise it will just get too busy on the rostrum and distact other drivers.

Jason