Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater View Post
I think there could be more bracing issues to resolve about the meeting I.E driver changes - changing the driver with every pit stop is gonna to leave us with a maximum of around 40mins in between an individuals stint on track, taking in to account marshalling as well.

Any thoughts?
Driver changes and marshalling are covered in post 41 & 42 of this thread
Old 31-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nce View Post
Driver changes and marshalling are covered in post 41 & 42 of this thread
...which still infers that every battery change is a driver change. For some teams at the test day that's a driver change every 12 minutes - is that wise? In the real thing, you have three drivers and you can swap them around as you choose. Most do a three-hour stint, but some have done a bit longer or shorter depending on track position, strategy and need for lengthy pit-stops. I hope we will be allowed to run our drivers for long stints so that we minimise the rostrum traffic, and allow drivers to settle into a rhythm with the car.
Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
...which still infers that every battery change is a driver change.
Does it?

Post 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3buggy
The driver change rule could be hectic, no long stints :-( how do you check the driver is always changed everytime you stop for cells?
Quote:
Good point on the rules front, especially the driver changes, I might revise this one as I for one do not want to police it.
Since then referance to that rule has been remove. Sensible option too!
Old 31-05-2011

Well the rule I read was that if for any reason the car stops or has to be removed from the track, the driver must change. This was simply to stop the favourite/fastest driver doing 23 Hours while the reast of the team sat bored or went home, and got just ten minutes each on track in 24 hrs.

I completely agree all drivers should get equal stick time, but I understand it will be hard (impossible) to police.

If all my drivers do an hour each, for example, I could drive home, have a meal, bath and sleep in a comfy bed, and drive back to the circuit when it's my stint. That's not what the event is intended to promote surely?

So how is it going to work? John?
Old 31-05-2011

Hi Guys,

To answer some of your questions,

Ball cups should remain kit standard. Remember the basic rule is you can take stuff off the car, but not add or replace. (Cooling fans excluded.)

Driver Stints and marshalling.
Team marshals their own car and the team decide on who drives when and for how long. reason for this is I nor anyone else wants to have to police this for 15 teams for 24 hrs, because if we make a bad judgement or miss that a team didn't change a driver when they should have all hell will break loose and this is supposed to be fun. So Dez if you want to go home have some tea and put your feet up then you can.

Teams that put their best driver out for as long as possible they are most likely to burn out their motor or burn out their best driver. :-)

4 hrs solid concentration per driver is going to be really hard.

By the way i've had a driver drop out of Team Ardent, anyone know anyone that wants to race with sticks?

John.
Old 01-06-2011

Team Dudders would also ask that we can make an exception to the ball cups being standard please; we lost driveshafts four times on saturday after very light contact and there were only four cars on track. As they are dog bones we kept losing them and had to hunt the track for them, something we will not be able to do inthe dark when the race is live. We envisage going through a lot of dog bones otherwise... Just seems like a change that would be in line with keeping the costs down, parts supply to a minimal with negligible performance benefit.
Old 01-06-2011

Good point, I'll go make some dog bone tethers now like they do in F1, no way we are losing any drive shafts in the dark ;-)

I've not popped a ball joint yet, nor lost a dog bone and Callum & I have been racing a Sprint 2 for three years!
Old 01-06-2011

My son has been racing a sprint 2 as his first car indoors and has lost a couple of driveshafts but I did find putting a little piece of a plastic bag inbetween the ball and cup which took up the slop and not lost a dogbone since
Old 01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Team Dudders would also ask that we can make an exception to the ball cups being standard please; we lost driveshafts four times on saturday after very light contact and there were only four cars on track. As they are dog bones we kept losing them and had to hunt the track for them, something we will not be able to do inthe dark when the race is live. We envisage going through a lot of dog bones otherwise... Just seems like a change that would be in line with keeping the costs down, parts supply to a minimal with negligible performance benefit.

Yes our team has had the same problems, kiss the barrier a little to hard, ball joint pops and then drive shaft comes out, Yes, I know the answer is not to hit anything........but, can we allow the changing of the ball cups?
Old 02-06-2011

I don't know how they'll police it if you are sensible, use the same length and colour ball joints.

Personaly if the cars pop a ball joint every time you clip a barrier it's a great incentive to drive clean and will give that extra edge to the racing which will keep you on your toes and wide awake for the 24 hrs!
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
I don't know how they'll police it if you are sensible, use the same length and colour ball joints.

Personaly if the cars pop a ball joint every time you clip a barrier it's a great incentive to drive clean and will give that extra edge to the racing which will keep you on your toes and wide awake for the 24 hrs!

I knew someone was going to come back with that one

looking forward to the Team Monsters living up to the team name, so looking forward to this meeting, going to be a hoot!

Our monster energy drink will be keeping us awake
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post

Yep, but regardless of how clean you/me/we/they drive, do you want to put a wager on 13 cars going for 24 hours without incident? I'll give you good odds.....
Old 02-06-2011
Mad Member

It's not general driving that's the concern, it's when people are passing each other it only takes a split second's misunderstanding and you're minus a drive shaft. It's not malicious, no one is to blame, but as the hours tick by and I am at the end of my Nth stint, I make no guarantees I could take the best decision on placing the car where someone else expects me to!

This is supposed to be Le Mans - how many of the real teams would take to the track with a known problem and rely on not having a single incident with a backmarker? Why should we?

I'll not take Andysans odds, but I will take any odds on offer that it happens during the wet weather period on the kit tyres! I mean, you just know John is going to throw that in about 3am on Sunday morning when we are all getting just a teensy bit beyond our bedtimes!!

Matters not, it'll be what it'll be...
Old 02-06-2011

Ordered flourescent yellow paint for the driveshafts this morning!
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
It's not general driving that's the concern, it's when people are passing each other it only takes a split second's misunderstanding and you're minus a drive shaft. It's not malicious, no one is to blame, but as the hours tick by and I am at the end of my Nth stint, I make no guarantees I could take the best decision on placing the car where someone else expects me to!

This is supposed to be Le Mans - how many of the real teams would take to the track with a known problem and rely on not having a single incident with a backmarker? Why should we?

I'll not take Andysans odds, but I will take any odds on offer that it happens during the wet weather period on the kit tyres! I mean, you just know John is going to throw that in about 3am on Sunday morning when we are all getting just a teensy bit beyond our bedtimes!!

Matters not, it'll be what it'll be...
+1 agreed. Believe that we can now swap one turn-buckle at a time to RPM rod ends only once the stock ones fall off however. From the horses mouth!
Old 02-06-2011

OK, WILL THERE BE ENOUGH RPM ROD ENDS TO GO ROUND?

in the words of a school teacher "I hope your brought enough for everybody!?!?"
Old 03-06-2011

ROD End rules (Ball Cup, tie rod end, whatever you want to call them :-)

Hi Peeps, Rule is, you break one you can replace it with whatever tie rod end you like, but you have to bring your own. Kit ones will be available to purchase on the day. All cars have to start with the kit ones.
Old 04-06-2011

I don't know what the fuss is about, there's more slop in each pivot and bearing than all the ball cups put together, and I've three Sprint2 cars and they all feel good to me, even the really old ones, and only once we popped a ball cup off, by slamming into race control at the end of the straight flat out, didn't we Callum!

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when Team Chand-a-Cola go testing at Ardent on the proper tyres around the proper 24Hrs circuit.............
Old 04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
We will publish a working setup 2 weeks prior to the event so you can get the cars performing well from the very start. This will be given to you with your shell and is done by someone who is not competing (most likely Andy Moore or Jonny Bowden)

Hi John we have just got our cars, obviously no time for practice! Whats the set up?
Old 04-06-2011
Mad Member

Are we running to BRCA lipo rules or can we use any hardcase lipo's?

Clown