Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 21-06-2011

But that one day is a whole years worth of wear and tear remember!
Old 21-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
And not just on the cars
Old 21-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
I can see that the consensus then is for a yearly event which is cool if that's what people want I wont try and force my opinion, but I still think the wear and tear on the cars is relatively negligible - sub £40 to replace the belts and stub axles and I'm guessing sub £30 to sort out both diffs. That's £70 split six ways which is less than £13, and if you buy abroad you could halve these costs easily.
Old 22-06-2011

Only thing I can think of that would be a nice is a change of body style, obviously everyone should run the same body to not give any team a advantage. but something like the Peugeot 908 Le mans style body would be cool.
Old 22-06-2011

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
I can see that the consensus then is for a yearly event which is cool if that's what people want I wont try and force my opinion, but I still think the wear and tear on the cars is relatively negligible - sub £40 to replace the belts and stub axles and I'm guessing sub £30 to sort out both diffs. That's £70 split six ways which is less than £13, and if you buy abroad you could halve these costs easily.

We did three car sets of axles, at £10 a pair = £60, three pairs of diff outdrives at £10 a pair £30, a few uprights and wishbones in the race and testing, rounded a couple of wheels out and trashed two sets of slick tyres, around £100 the lot, I've retired three LiPo packs since the event as the continued cycling finished them off, so abouit £180 perhaps and the bodyshell I had painted is dead so to replace that would be another £30 plus £45 for the painting, I bought several sets of bumper foams to custom make some front and rears, I bought a LiPo protector and some LEDS, a few spare belts and wishbones just in case so abouit another £100 all up, not to mention all the motors (7 in total) which was £70 up in smoke, and a couple of spare ESC's on standby all pre wired up just in case, so another £50 there. Rough total not including the fees for testing and club race days to get it set up, so I blew somewhere in the region of £500 easily, so no matter what car you chose, endurance racing is not cheap.

Have a 6 hour race if you want, maybe a 12 hour race too, but I think 24hrs should be once a year, and that is enough! It was special, let's keep it that way
Old 22-06-2011

I think we (Doris Racing) spent something like £750 inc testing and that was after calling in favours and discounts. We did have to but 6 cheap lipos as there were no touring car drivers on the team but there is no residual value in those after 24hrs of abuse. Car stiil needs about £50 spending on it before it would be ready to go again. So we don't want to be doing that too many times a year.
Best keep it as a special annual event in mid summer in my opinion.

jason
Old 22-06-2011

I have to agree, on behalf of the Essex Monsters, with both Des and Jason, keep it yearly, keep it special.
Old 22-06-2011

Why not copy the 1.1 scale Le Mans series????

A series of four 6 hour 1000lap races (to keep up interest) with a 24 hour as the crown jewel?

The 24 was an amazing event, but I can understand the pressures of running too many events of that sort. It’s a large commitment, not only financially but on people’s time. Having said this, nobody is forcing anyone to do an event September. It would be great if there was some drop outs so other teams get bitten by the bug…

Then run an endurance series
Old 26-06-2011

Sorry it took so long to get this together chaps, but here is the timelapse video for the 24hr with the rest of the usable GoPro footage from the pace car:

The timelapse video runs continuously over 5 minutes and I've tried to insert the other clips at the correct points to show the progress of the race over the 24 hours. A modicum of artistic licence may have been used...
Old 26-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
Bad. Ass.
Old 27-06-2011

love it, still buzz from it when i see pics ect loving how i was 1st on the grid on the 1st 24hr am the one in the red with the daft hat near the rostrom alot lol
Old 27-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
Sorry it took so long to get this together chaps, but here is the timelapse video for the 24hr with the rest of the usable GoPro footage from the pace car:

The timelapse video runs continuously over 5 minutes and I've tried to insert the other clips at the correct points to show the progress of the race over the 24 hours. A modicum of artistic licence may have been used...
That is brilliant Eric!!! Love the team bits at the end. Great momento to all the teams that took part. Memory for life and now it's been brilliantly visually documented.

Thank you for taking the time to do it :-)
Old 01-09-2011

Hi Guys, looks like we are going to just make this an annual event, i've been trying to get really cheap brushless systems so we could include it in the next race fees, and HPI are clear out of the Sprint cars at the moment and their brushless systems are a bit pricey (too good a quality and too fast for what we need).

So i've decided to keep this as an annual event, so you have until next July to get your car up to tip top condition and we will be running 17.5 brushless systems. More info and news to follow next year.

Hope you all understand. It will be the same weekend as Le Mans again. :-)

John.
Old 01-09-2011

I have a cunning plan already

Jason
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
I have a cunning plan already

Jason
That does not surprise me :-)
Old 03-09-2011

ezrun systems ?
Old 13-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjy View Post
ezrun systems ?
I was thinking the same thing 12t ezruns would be good & Dez actually worked out in the Chand-a-cola team we spend £70 on Saturn motors replacing the motors that burned out + a testing motor, for that money you could of bought an ezrun for about £55 from the bay of E & still been able to use the motor again next time.

Before you say "you can only get ezruns on ebay because nobody in the UK sells them" Etronix (CML) have just launched a range of brushless motors which are ezrun motors with a different sticker on them & Speed Passion do the Inspire system which is an ezrun system but painted black - for about £100 the set (double what ezruns go for on the bay of E) which just goes to show in the UK we get ripped off for our RC stuff... faling that, get a trade account set-up with Dinball & get a job-lot of cars & motors.
Old 13-09-2011

Our Sprint flew with a 13t ezrun setup in it during a cheaky warm up enduro at the club. They'd go the distance too. I know a few people racing minis at the club that have been running the same motor for over a year!

Giant cod sells them in the UK.
Old 13-09-2011

Hobbywing Justock speedo?

Jason
Old 13-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nce View Post
I know a few people racing minis at the club that have been running the same motor for over a year!
My original one is stilling going strong since Nov 2008, must of done at least 100 club meetings. In fact that was the one that did the 2hr enduro too!

Just ran the normal 35a ezrun speedo. The justock would be ideal, probably overkill.