Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 22-06-2009

Default Old shocks - how do they wear?

I've rebuilt my gold tub's original gold shocks with new red rings and new black o-rings under the caps. I was careful of the threads, and used plenty of greenslime...

However, the shocks still lose fluid when run hard - mostly weeping out from around the shafts.

The fluid inside turns grey and metallic-ey when I check it after a meet ( as well as being a bit low). I've noticed that the insides of the shock bores have worn away the anodised surface in places - revealing shiny aluminium.

Are these old shocks just worn? beyond repair? Or am I missing something here?....

Might the shock shafts themselves be the worn components too? They are still shiny and look evenly chromed.

What might be causing the shocks to wear like this? Is this a common way for old shocks to announce their imminent retirement?

Thanks - any feedback's useful!

Cheers,
Ty
Old 22-06-2009

My rc18t had leaky shocks(they are a common fault).

I have a micro scope at work with a nice wide field of vision so i stripped them and had a look to see if the problem could be rectified.

I found although the shock shafts look good and felt smooth as silk the finish is actually not that good when viewed under the scope. What happens in a short space of time it wears the o rings out. When viewing the o rings under the scope the wear was clear to see.

My solution was to put the shock shafts up into a high speed drill and with some 3000 grit wet and dry(i think it was 3000 grit) i gave the shafts a polish and replaced the o rings with new and they seem to be holding out.

Could be something that may be worth a try.
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

break out the green ae slime. and get busy with it.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 30-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleefocus View Post
My rc18t had leaky shocks(they are a common fault).

I have a micro scope at work with a nice wide field of vision so i stripped them and had a look to see if the problem could be rectified.

I found although the shock shafts look good and felt smooth as silk the finish is actually not that good when viewed under the scope. What happens in a short space of time it wears the o rings out. When viewing the o rings under the scope the wear was clear to see.

My solution was to put the shock shafts up into a high speed drill and with some 3000 grit wet and dry(i think it was 3000 grit) i gave the shafts a polish and replaced the o rings with new and they seem to be holding out.

Could be something that may be worth a try.
A really good idea- thanks. will give that a try next time I've got them apart.