Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 13-01-2020

Default General electronics questions.

Hi all,

I am looking to get started but on a budget, and was wondering if anyone can answer some general electronics questions.

I’m. Not planning on winning anything and maybe going to a local club.

When I did touring cars some 9 years ago, I had an esc and motor combo from China under the brand EZRun. It didn’t cause me any issues, was reliable etc - but not sure if I was just lucky at the time. Has anyone had dealings with the offerings on eBay these days / if they are subject to new rules with clubs / BRCA? Ideally I’m looking for a rtr setup but just in case - best to ask.

The next question is about transponders. Unlike 9 years ago, there seems to be much more of these and I am unsure if all work the same way or if you need to match it with what the club runs? Again, presumable BCRA have some kind of standard? Does the cheaper eBay options meet those requirements?

Final question - gyros. Can’t remember seeing these 9 years ago - are they allowed? Any point to them?

As said, not looking to be competitive, I’m not a brand snob and just looking for something I can take part with and not be out of pocket too much if I end up leaving it behind again.
Old 13-01-2020

Check out the trade room on here, there are a few 2nd hand items that may suit your needs.
Old 13-01-2020

Are you doing touring car again, or off road?

EZrun is made by Hobbywing, still going and a very respected manufacturer.

I'd avoid any combos on ebay and if you're on a budget buy decent brands 2nd hand - plenty of bargains on here and the Facebook groups.

Rules depend on club, class and if you are planning on doing regionals / nationals. For example, I race off road and my local club allows any 540 size motor, any esc, brushed and brushless, sensored and sensorless, and any battery as long as it's 2S and hardcase. We also allow any choice of tyresm so really relaxed rules wise. At the opposite end a local TC club has motor wind limits, blinky ESC and foam tyres for GT12, rubber for TC.

Go to a big sanctioned BRCA event and all electrics need to be on the approved list.

Transponders - Also depends on where you will be racing, a lot of clubs use older RC3 decoders, a lot use the newer RC4 decoders. In general an RC4 PTX is backwards compatible with RC3 unless it's a 3 wire Purcy which will only work on RC4. MRT make clones, newer ones work on both RC3 and 4 but the majority of older ones only work on RC3.

Best bet is pop along to where you will be racing and have a chat there, see what their rules allow.
Old 13-01-2020

Likely it would be 2wd buggy as my old club shifted over to gt12.