Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 13-11-2014

Default looking for powerfull saddle packs

Hi all,

What type of powerfull saddle packs do you recommend?
Old 13-11-2014
Mad Member

For?..........................
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 13-11-2014
Mad Member

You'll have to be a little more specific. Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as friendly forum advise, but asking a question like that without giving out any other information regarding your chosen application just makes one look a complete berk.

What are you doing with them? (ie, bashing or racing)

What car?

What motor/esc combo?

If you want help, then people need to know details about your problem. Little life lesson for you. You can have that one for free.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 13-11-2014

Sorry for that. Didn't think it would matter. Here goes. I'm gonna use the sadlle packs for races on astro turf and carpet in my asso b44.1. With a hobbywing 120 amps esc and an 5.5 turns motor.

Overall i want more power. So i can go all the way during the 6 minutes race. Now i have the idea that after 2 minutes its done with the power.

Currently i'm using gence ace 5100mah 25c. That doesn't do it for me.

My local shop has the following options but i'm open for other suggestions.

TrakPower 5400mAh 7,4V LiPo 60C Saddle Pack

Absima 5500mAh 7,4V LiPo 90C Saddle Pack

Team Corally 5800mAh 7.4V LiPo 90C Saddle Pack

nVision Factory PRO 7.4V 5500 mAh 90C Saddle Pack
Old 13-11-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

More power? Or power not to drop off as quick?
BTW I've run 4200mah 30c for 20min without any noticable drop in power, so your's must be knackered!
Old 13-11-2014

@ Col

"power not to drop off as quick?" Does that mean that some packs lose there power faster than other packs?

What kind of packs do you use (brand)

Sorry for the question of explanation but i'm from holland. Hopefully no hard feelings
Old 13-11-2014
Awesome Admin

A pack of good condition lipo's should produce very similar power right upto the cut-off point; whereas a pack of older, well used lipo's will not and a gradual loss of power may be noticeable.

I'm currently running the same lipo's as mentioned above - nearly 2 years old now and still pretty good

these are slightly newer, but no real difference that I notice.

It should be noted that even when new there was never any noticable difference in power despite the 60c difference in discharge rating.
Old 13-11-2014

Your using 70 c saddle packs mine are just 25c can that also be a cause off lack in power. Thanks for the feedback appreciate it.
Old 13-11-2014

what is your gearing?? just asking as i have been running gens ace 4600 saddles in a b44, 24 tooth pinion on an lrp x12 6.5 turn, novak esc if i remember correctly timing is 8 degrees. car is quick down the straight and accelerates well out of the corners. motor gets hot but not hot enough that you cant touch it. from fully charged to voltage cutoff is about nine minutes on grass track. with a higher c rating, you may get a bit more initial punch and acceleration, but as at higher revs your motor is producing less torque and using less current you shouldnt really see much drop off in performance
Old 13-11-2014

Hi dodgydiy,

I'm using a 81 teeth spur and a 20 tooth pinion. Did you dremel your pinion brace. Because 20 tooth pinion is the largest i can fit. as i ran my car for 6 minutes my motor is 55 degrees celcius and the esc round the 35 degrees celcius
Old 14-11-2014
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaggdaddy View Post
Your using 70 c saddle packs mine are just 25c can that also be a cause off lack in power. Thanks for the feedback appreciate it.
The IP's are 30c, the HPI's are 95c.
TBH most of these manufacturers figures are bullshit
Old 14-11-2014

The Gens Ace are supposed to be accurate and I have always rated them, have you just 1 set of saddles? Do you balance charge?
Does sound like there is a problem you could try running sensor less just to eliminate possible faults and also drop your cut off voltage to 3.2v.
I always look at the start voltage on my charger after a race to see what the pack voltages have reduced to eg. 8.4v - between 7.2 and 7.6v, if your pack voltage is lower than this then sounds like battery is passed it or charger is not charging correctly
Old 15-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by beale View Post
The Gens Ace are supposed to be accurate and I have always rated them, have you just 1 set of saddles? Do you balance charge?
Does sound like there is a problem you could try running sensor less just to eliminate possible faults and also drop your cut off voltage to 3.2v.
I always look at the start voltage on my charger after a race to see what the pack voltages have reduced to eg. 8.4v - between 7.2 and 7.6v, if your pack voltage is lower than this then sounds like battery is passed it or charger is not charging correctly

I have multiple packs (five) i always charge them balanced. And i cycle them 1 to 5 so first the 1 pack then the 2 pack etc. Thanks for the voltage tip. Gonna check that.
Old 15-11-2014

think the b44.1 mount is different to what i have on a b44 but 24/81 goes straight on no problems, only have to dremel the mount to fit much smaller pinions on, much easier to change to a bigger spur though. some brushless motors really benefit from being geared quite hard while others like higher gear ratio's allowing them to rev. i know my x12 is slightly overgeared, but it smoothes the car out a lot by doing so. the speed passion 8.5 i use in my 2wd has to be geared much harder than it really should be to perform well, again with low timing, have had hobbywing motors in the past that needed the same treatment. ignore the batteries for now as the gens ace perform well for their price, and try gearing up a couple of teeth, turn down the timing on the speed control, run it and check the temperatures. if temperatures are sensible bring the timing up a little bit and try again.
Old 16-11-2014

Thanks for the tips. Gonna get in to the pinions and esc.
Old 16-11-2014

no surprise you are running 25c batteries, they dont really give power.

i went from 65c to 90c and i noticed the difference, my motor/esc run little cooler with higher discharge rate batteries
Old 16-11-2014

my son has used orion 90c saddles and gens ace 4800 25c saddles on the same day on a a high grip track in his b44.2 with a reedy 6.5t and a vampire sr1+ gearing at 81/22 and his lap times and temps were the same, he couldn't tell the difference between the two packs
so £25 for a set of gens ace or £75 for orions
sold the orions and brought new gens ace saddles
Old 17-11-2014

I like my SMC lipo packs

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 17-11-2014

I've yet to see an industry standard for determining the discharge capabilities of Lipos and strongly suspect that a lot are dreamt up or are just theoretical. The Big Squid RC Lipo shootouts have shown that the Gens Ace Lipos are pretty damn good even compared to much more expensive batteries, you can see one of the tests here;

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...0-mah-edition/

I use Vapextech cells as I find them reasonably priced but also have good punch and last well.
Old 17-11-2014

@ Badger5

Thanks for the link. I've read the test and a second place is with one point difference a good reference point.