Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 10-02-2013

Here is a pic where you can see the glue. Really not a problem once they are glued.

It's a simply fix and requires much less effort than keeping your 511 diffs clean. 511 fan-boys like to point this out as one of the design flaws of the 502, but really it is not as much of a problem as the 511's have with the completely exposed diffs and required custom gear box covers etc. I.E. you can use a cheap and readily available commercial off-the-shelf part to solve the problem on the TRF 502X.

Sorry about the ripped boots. If we ever meet face-to-face I owe you $2.99. Wish I had remembered the glue detail.

Last edited by kidcongo; 10-02-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2013

Don't worry kidcongo!! I really appreciate your tips!!!
As I bought 4 bags of Durango boots, I had no problems to replace it.
This afternoon I changed the damaged boots and glued to the shafts as you say.
I want to try it, hope the next weekend not rain on the track.

Best regards
Old 10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcongo View Post
It's a simply fix and requires much less effort than keeping your 511 diffs clean. 511 fan-boys like to point this out as one of the design flaws of the 502, but really it is not as much of a problem as the 511's have with the completely exposed diffs and required custom gear box covers etc. I.E. you can use a cheap and readily available commercial off-the-shelf part to solve the problem on the TRF 502X.
Hey, let's play nice together...

I don't think there's any fan-boy mentality here...

511 502X
Old 10-02-2013

Sorry DJ, Didn't mean to offend or flame. Around my parts "Fan-Boy" can be taken as a compliment. The 511 is clearly an awesome car and I don't disrespect it.

On the same hand, I do feel the 502X sometimes gets more press on it's flaws than everything that Tamiya did right. For the average club racer it's to top contender, and at least in my opinion, a very durable and hassle-free car.
Old 10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcongo View Post
Sorry DJ, Didn't mean to offend or flame. Around my parts "Fan-Boy" can be taken as a compliment. The 511 is clearly an awesome car and I don't disrespect it.

On the same hand, I do feel the 502X sometimes gets more press on it's flaws than everything that Tamiya did right. For the average club racer it's to top contender, and at least in my opinion, a very durable and hassle-free car.
that's cool - no offence taken!

I'd just hate to think that there was any disrespect... because I think the 502X is awesome! I am an old Tamiya 4WD shaft-drive buggy fan, I used to race the Top Force Evo back when I was younger (!!) and love the simplicity and ease of the shaft driven platform.

I'm actually trying to convince a friend to get a DB02 (or 502X if he can afford it) because he wants a modern 4WD buggy but doesn't think he'll do well with the maintenance - I think this will be the perfect platform for him. He likes my 511 but I'm not sure it's a good car for him. He's not very experienced but I think if he starts with a basic motor (8.5T+) he can learn quickly with the DB02/502X chassis.

Also I don't think he will find a 511! So the 502X/DB02 is better already... heck, if I had some spare money I'd pick up a 502X just for fun!