Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 28-03-2016

Default MP9 meshing clutch bell problems for a newbie

Hi

I am just getting round to fitting a motor (alpha clubman engine) to an MP9 (tki3) and with no experience with doing this I was looking for advice

The trouble I have understanding is how do you make it align/mesh correctly.

Do I move the clutch bell away from the flywheel just enough with the clutch shoes making contact with the inside of the clutchbell

or

do i remove the factory fitted collet on the engine and shim this out moving the flywheel also towards the front to line up.

I really don't think its a good idea to remove the collet so I am reluctant to do this (and don't have a clue how to do this)

I want to set it up correctly first time so wondering what I am doing wrong when it comes to aligning the centre diff with the clutch bell

Thanks

Martin

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 28-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

that looks a mile out in the photo use large shims behind the collet move the whole clutch forward on the crank shaft.
You can also shim the clutch bell forward a little, but make very sure when the clutch bolt is fully tightened the clutch spins freely and has a little end float as things will get hot.

Is the clutch a kyosho one, I wouldn't recognise if it is or isn't as I gave rallyx up in 2012

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 28-03-2016

I am unsure if it's a kyosho clutch

So if I understand correctly you are saying remove the collet from the engine and shim the whole clutch forward on the crank shaft. Which makes sense. But if the collet I'd fitted on the engine at manufacture - how do youremove it safely from a alpha clubman

Tougher then I thought but makes sense what you are saying
Cheers

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 28-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes remove the collet,its quite simple to do, just open it up a little with a small flat blade screwdriver then gently work it off.BUT I have also been reading the other posts in the nitro section that are also asking about the make of clutch you are trying to fit. As a general rule with rallyx it good to use the chassis manufacturers clutch on the car,so if its kyosho, use a kyosho clutch etc as they are all different, if the clutch you have is for a different car,or aftermarket there is a good chance it just won't fit, looking at the photos your clutch looks a mile out, you normally only have to shim some fine adjustments 2mm etc, you look like you need to find 5-6mm
Also the flywheel looks nice and central to the hole for the starter wheel,were it should be, if you manage to shim it all the way forward to get mesh I think the flywheel will be well off central to the chassis hole

It really is a good idea to keep a rallyx car uncomplicated to get reliability, if this is your 1st,get a kyosho clutch as your life will be so much easier:thumbs: the clutch is one of the hardest working parts of the car if you try a botch job ten times out of ten it will let you down!

Hope Ive been some help

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 28-03-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2016

That isn't a kyosho flywheel.