Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 15-08-2011

Big enough... yeah, but ideally you'd want a bit more room, however if it's still got the pits area there it might make up for it being a bit tight.
Old 15-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
I remember that!!

did you ever go to Jubilee Arena in Bury i while back? purpose built indoor venue?

also tourers at Geoffrey Kershaw Centre in Bury was always fun!!
Old 15-08-2011

Default indoor racing

if you are thinking of raceing micro or mini t i am in the middle of signing for a unit in whitefield its about 2450 sq foot it wont be big enough for 1\10 cars as i am using it for a doggy day care centre but i can hire it out for micro racing plenty of room you could use it on wed nights aswell as sunday it would help me out with the rent and help u guys out for a bit of fun racing
Old 15-08-2011

Chris, nope, nope, never went to those, after Millenium closed i quit TC's and went buggy racing at the old goshen track. Always preferred off-road anyway.
Old 15-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Chris, nope, nope, never went to those, after Millenium closed i quit TC's and went buggy racing at the old goshen track. Always preferred off-road anyway.
I raced at Bury in the mid 90's. when the fire happened burning down the rostrum, not realizing the club were still running shortly after sold all my off-road gear and went indoors. Stupidly not knowing the club sorted out a new rostrum and got the club running again.
I got very bored of flat touring car racing ( within a few months) sold all that gear and gave up.
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

Can someone let me know the budget for venue hire for the Sunday,
I'm going to ask about some space in our building.

M
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
Can someone let me know the budget for venue hire for the Sunday,
I'm going to ask about some space in our building.

M
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and effort matt
Old 15-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and effort matt
Why not?
Despite your belief there is no conspiracy at play here!

Coleman - There isn't a budget as such. We just need to be able to break even or better with a sensible number of racers at a fair price.
Chadderton is a big, expensive venue, but the answer was to hold big, expensive meetings. In contrast most weeknight clubs are much smaller and cater for only a few heats but at low cost.

Since we aren't really planning on a major series, just indoor club meets - consider 20 drivers paying a fiver as your bench mark. Obviously sometimes we'll have more, but its critical we never have less (or the meeting is a net loss).

Oh and bear in mind we'd need pitting space, somewhere for race control and storage for jumps, rostrum etc.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Why not?

Coleman - There isn't a budget as such. We just need to be able to break even or better with a sensible number of racers at a fair price.
Chadderton is a big, expensive venue, but the answer was to hold big, expensive meetings. In contrast most weeknight clubs are much smaller and cater for only a few heats but at low cost.

Since we aren't really planning on a major series, just indoor club meets - consider 20 drivers paying a fiver as your bench mark. Obviously sometimes we'll have more, but its critical we never have less (or the meeting is a net loss).

Oh and bear in mind we'd need pitting space, somewhere for race control and storage for jumps, rostrum etc.
+1 Si

+1 the bear!!

Any where is worth a look. Nice one Coleman

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Why not?
This wasn't the case when he was offering his services on a Wednesday night so there could be a mid week bury event. That was until that was cast into oblivion and received the usual crap
Old 15-08-2011

Whats happened to everyone, I remember racing in the mud and sleet - take a flask, gloves and warm coat. I'll find it loads easier to attend from this week onwards and joined Bury 24 years ago when people didn't scarper when they got wet.
Old 15-08-2011

outside sounds best for me i did that 10+ years ago at bury and i sure dont mind doing it again just need to make sure the kettle is on after all when it snows dont need track markings then just shovel a track out lol

LRP S10 Blast BX
Losi Mini-T
AE RC10 B3
Losi XXX kinwald edition
Yokomo super dog fighter 2
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

Sounds like more want to race outside than they do with indoor micros
Old 15-08-2011
Mad Member

The big thing will be breakages, plastic and freezing weather usually makes parts break with much lower tolerances than in normal operating conditions.

Back in the day racing cars with a 19t motor and 1800 nicads they didnt take as much of a beating as a brushless lipo beast of today.

Racing in a pubs function room with cheap spec class cars. Then having a some food and a drink or two afterwards sounds like a good idea for a club, whatever time of the year IMHO.
Old 15-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As I said - I too have done the outdoor meetings in the winter. I was running an RC10, 1400SCR's (1800's didn't exist back then!) and a 19x2 outdoors at Springfield back as a kid. In fact, I always used to win the Junior class every winter series as I was the only one who would be out there every meeting, rain or snow.
But thats why I'm concerned - because I was the only one coming every time.

The fact is, at a wet meeting lots of people leave early. Stuff stops working properly, people get cold and fed up etc.

However - there is good news. I was speaking to someone yesterday who was working in the clubhouse. The plan is to have a cafe working in there doing tea and pies. They will be serving out of the hatch out the side of the building (ie right near the track) but they will also have a room inside, with freeview TV and a few comfy chairs. That means it will be a good place to go and 'defrost' between rounds.

But Qatmix - I'm still considering this micro-t club idea, midweek, as it has real potential. Its the doing the racing in the pub bit I like.....

Lippy - Wednesday nights was a much more complicated concept involving use of some expensive club equipment by someone we didn't even know that well back then. Essentially there was no problem with Coleman helping, but a committee member would also have to have been present, which kinda defeated the point....
Racing on a Sunday, Rog would still handle all the clubs hardwear - its just that Matt would provide a location.
If you want to know what the problem was, look up the price of an AMB/Mylaps system and you'll see why we weren't going to just let people use it.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

What dont you mean? It was literally weeks ago weekdays were discussed and offered by Matt, since then he's been to bury twice, so you know him well enough to trust him now? I don't remember ever seeing you two in the same vicinity so how you know each other so well now I'd like to know.
Old 15-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

OK, lets try it differently.

Would I leave Coleman (or you even) in charge of over £3K worth of timing equipment, plus packing away and locking up the outdoor track? No!

Would I store a few rolls of carpet and some metal girders in Colemans warehouse, have Rog bring and supervise the expensive timing gear (and take away with him afterwards) and thereby host a race meeting at said warehouse? Yes!

See the difference is that in scenario A, Coleman is running the meeting and responsible for all of Burys stuff and facilities, whereas in scenario B, Coleman provides a venue and looks after some low value (but bulky) stuff, whilst the important gear is still handled by Roger.

That is a massive difference. The difference between me coming to visit your patients and you leaving me in charge of them!

And I must add - this isn't against Coleman either. It would simply be exactly the same deal as we used at every indoor venue, and the same deal Roundabout used, Ribble use etc.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 15-08-2011

how much dous it normaly cost to rent a sports hall on a sunday?
Old 15-08-2011
Banned

How can you even say this when you know nothing? I've extensive IT experience and included in my CV is over 3 years working with British aero space IT support department (CSC Preston), so a laptop and basic timing system are hardly a challenge!

Tbh SI I find your whole judgement of people highly naieve considering your role as a teacher! If you wish to be the one that decides who and who isn't "qualified" for use of the timing system by all means go ahead, but it's a shame you feel me and Matt are so unskilled to using a timing system, next time I'll drop my CV in for you to actually see what I'm capable of!

Quote:
OK, lets try it differently.

Would I leave Coleman (or you even) in charge of over £3K worth of timing equipment, plus packing away and locking up the outdoor track? No!

Would I store a few rolls of carpet and some metal girders in Colemans warehouse, have Rog bring and supervise the expensive timing gear (and take away with him afterwards) and thereby host a race meeting at said warehouse? Yes!

See the difference is that in scenario A, Coleman is running the meeting and responsible for all of Burys stuff and facilities, whereas in scenario B, Coleman provides a venue and looks after some low value (but bulky) stuff, whilst the important gear is still handled by Roger.

That is a massive difference. The difference between me coming to visit your patients and you leaving me in charge of them!

And I must add - this isn't against Coleman either. It would simply be exactly the same deal as we used at every indoor venue, and the same deal Roundabout used, Ribble use etc.
Old 15-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Qualified has nothing to do with it!

Its about liability.

If I break it, its my fault.

If I lend it to you and you break it, its my fault.

Whilst I doubt you are any more likely to break it than me, considering I get the blame either way you should be able to see why I'd be reluctant too.

Actually the above isn't strictly true - in actual fact the hardware is in Roger's charge. Only 2 other people have taken it that I know of, Stu and myself - both committee members. We'd not just let Buds or Johnny borrow it any more than we'd let you.

Those are the clubs rules to protect the clubs property. If Rog lent the timing gear to Buds to run a 'Bud Balls Grand Prick (I mean Prix)' and he smashed the AMB connection box (£1200!) meaning we couldn't use the transponders anymore you would be seriously p!ssed.
Stu blocked my suggestion about renting the track out to Dave at Roundabout for Wednesdays because he pointed out that, whilst they were unlikely to damage the astro - if they did, we couldn't race on Sundays. That was just about the astro - Dave has his own timing gear! I wasn't sure at the time, but I can see where he is coming from.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm in some way suggesting you aren't capable. That is not the point. Ultimately only certain people hold the liability of the clubs property.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC