Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 18-11-2010

Default Diff & slipper setting up

Stripped and re-built up the ZX5 (original) I bought yesterday and now looking for some advice please if poss on how to set the diff and slipper! I know from past experience that diffs should be smooth with lil or no slip (while holding the outdrives with screw drivers holding the outdrives) is this correct? Going to be trying RogerM's advice (found else where in this section) of setting the diff shimming

No too sure on how to set the slipper though (built it as the manual says with 13.5mm of the shaft showing!)

Also how far forward should the cup on the slipper shaft be to hold the centre shaft? as when I roll the car forward it sound nasty!!

Shocks....how far do you fill these? up to the start of the thread (inside)?

Any one have any starting setup for carpet track running Schumacher mini pins?? ie shock oil/springs camber etc

Should I set the car (fully loaded with electrics) to have the front and rear arms level?

Sorry for all the questions, that you have prob answered a million times before it's just I thought I had a month to get things sorted when in fact I'll be racing it a week Sunday at Ardent's Winter Series

Thanks in advance (yet again)
Old 18-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Lee

Diffs should feel free but not slip. Its as simple as that really boss
Tighten the slipper right up to initially set the diffs as you dont want to feel the slipper slipping and confuse that for the diffs

Slipper is all about the track really. Best to bed the diffs in with a tight slipper to check for "barking" and tightness, then loosen the slipper off till you get a few feet of slip from a standing start.

The other way I have seen it done is to stand on your car and hit the throttle...if it slips its a good start lol

Front and rear driveshafts level is a good start, maybe front shafts slightly (slightly) higher to calm the front down.

Are you running high grip or low grip track? if high grip you can get away with a slightly tighter slipper to get more traction but not so tight that it eventually fecks your diffs up.

As for the more indepth stuff, there are alot of good Kyosho drivers on the forum who'll hook you up a setup id imagine

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

Drop me a PM if your stuck... ive found as have others, the FS/FS2 needs to run the diffs and slipper loose.. not sure about ther ZX5/SP as the motor etc is in a different position.

When i say loose... i mean loose in comparison to how " most " people would set a diff/slipper up..

Cheers

Nick
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

Easy way is to tighten up till you have to put force into it... or as instructions says. Then back off a quarter... put in car and run them in, put can to one side and give quarter throttle. Do this both sides, about 1 min each side. Then compress car on table or carpet and try turning your slipper.... if it doesn't slip then nip up the diff's, repeat process untill happy. Do make sure slipper isn't too tight though!!!

You cannot check the diffs by holding rear wheel and slipper etc... the diff will always slip.
Old 18-11-2010

Thanks for the replies guys....think I've sorted it now!? Will test it tomorrow night at my local club to make sure everything is working AOK

Shimming the diffs I found a chor! diff in check backlash, to tight, diff out move shims around, diff back in etc. etc lol

Any idea what springs I should get hold of? got some silvers and gold's at the moment (came with the buggy)

Another one......I have around 1mm movement on the slipper shaft where the pinion will move for and aft against the crown gear! is that right or should that movement be shimmed out???

Cris.....track will be high bite (carpet) mostly as I think Ardent run multi surface for the buggy's
Old 19-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That movement sounds very very wrong! I would need to see the car or pictures to be sure of the problem though my first guess is you've not got the pinion mounted correctly on the shaft, its possible.

It does take a while to get the diff shimming on any shaft drive car right, the beauty of the Kyosho drivetran though is that you will only do it once as the gerars are bomb proof and don't wear .... so long as the initial setup was done correctly that is. Typically it will take me about 5 mins an end to set the backlash on a new built set of gears the first time and I recheck the mesh maybe every 6 months or so or if I fit need diff balls and/or plates.

For springs I'd get hold of the following;

Front #65 yellow ,#70 silver ,#75 lime green
Rear #65 yellow, #68 blue and #75 lime green.

I'll be at Ardent on the saurday evening and the sunday ... pop over and say hello and I will help the best I can although I never ran the original ZX5, started directly with eh SP spec suspension in 2007 I'm afraid.
Old 19-11-2010

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply.....I have built the car up as per instruction manual, and while I had the gearboxes apart yesterday doing the shimming I rechecked the slipper shaft etc and all seems to be in order.

I've done a lil vid showing the movement on the shaft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKer21eCF4w

I've got a feeling I may need to shim the shaft out??

Cheers
Lee
Old 19-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not sure when I'll next be on a proper computer to watch that vid .... no net access at home at the moment.
Will se if I can look at it on my mates tonight