Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 22-11-2006

Neo,

when I was looking for battery info, I culled a bunch of info from this thread:

http://www.doughtyuk.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1321

Elliott.
Old 22-11-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Yes, you would have ti dremmel them off, but I think it is well worth the effort, the biggest issue is the front mount behind the motor, but I reckon it is quite do-able.

they are pretty snug in there, aren't they, shame you don't have some sidexside packs to check, defo no room for corally connectors.... would have to go to deans.
Old 22-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
how much was it in total?? looks good though, just wish they had left a little more room on the rear of the chassis to mount the TRF suspension blocks...

Just out of interest, whats the spacing between the mounting holes on the TRF sus blocks?
Reason being, the chassis comes with a carbon spacer for the rear which is about 5mm think and sits between the bottom of the rear gearbox and the rear of the chassis
Old 22-11-2006

the distance between hinge pins is exactly the same as the standard TRF blocks, hence the reason for nagging 3Racing about it.
Old 22-11-2006

Nearly done. Not quite a TRF501X, but it'll do me

Old 22-11-2006

is it possible to raise the gearbox more withough causing issue's?? soooo tempted to buy one
Old 23-11-2006

I think it is possible to raise it without too much trouble. If you look in the first pic there is an extra plate tha fits between the gearbox and the bottom of the chassis. You can always fit a thicker plate in there and then just use spacers where the front part of the rear gearbox mounts onto the chassis (second pic)

Old 23-11-2006
Administrator

whats the idea of raising the gearbox ?
Old 23-11-2006

there maybe a clearance issue on a front suspension mount with the motor plate and motor, so it would save making a new motor plate.
Old 23-11-2006

In the Tamiya DF-03 shock kit there are four blue anodized metal spacers (it's a quality box of bits if the very smallest parts are anodized) that are supposed to sit between the plastic ball end links at the bottom of the shock and the bottom spring mount. They are a bit pointless. These pieces will fit perfectly where you've put the silicone O-rings on the hinge pins.

Elliott.
Old 23-11-2006

those spacers are there to raise the spring cups out of the way of the wishbones and hopefully stop the buggers from popping off...

Now, I am in two minds, do I buy the 3Racing conversion or an F103GT.... bugger
Old 24-11-2006

Finished apart from Leccy bits

Old 24-11-2006

sweeeeeet
Old 24-11-2006

In case you thought I was making all this up, I've just uploaded pics of my DI to photobucket. They should be available here:

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/ElliottHopkins/

The paint is Pactra's racing red, rushed and blotchy. Minor hop-ups include Tamiya DF-03 threaded shocks, DI slipper clutch, smaller than stock Tamiya dish wheels with Ballistic minispikes (welcome to England) and (essential) 3 Racing Ti screws. Modest upgrades in importamnt areas thus far. In terms of electorincs, LRP IPC V7.1 (still the best speedo ever made, I don't trust speedos I could hide under my small change), Hitec Gem receiver a perfect fit, KO metal gear servo and normally a Peak Dynasty 19T spec V2 dalek head. All good stuff.

Elliott.
Old 26-11-2006

I had my first race meeting at the CML Raceway today. In practice, I had a little crack with the DI. It handled really well. It was raining heavily most of the day and when I got out of shape on a few of the slippery jumps, I could correct myself well. When I took a corner badly. I could correct it. The Dark Impact flattered my driving. I might run it in the summer.

(By the way, I haven't had any experience of contemporary 4WD cars, so I wouldn't have anything to compare it with, but I was pleased with it).

Elliott.
Old 01-12-2006

Default Weight savings?

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much weight is saved when using the 3 Racing chassis.
Cheers
Mark
Old 01-12-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

hello there,

i was wondering, do you run the bevel gear diffs, or ball differentials in the car?

and do these cars sound nice and smooth, or do they sound like the tamiya TL -01 series ?
Old 01-12-2006

ball diffs, and thet are a little noisey, but that was mine on full chat with the CVD's chattering.....
Old 01-12-2006

I reckon all the gears wear out quicker than you'd expect and the gearcases wear a bit too. This however may have been down to the dusty summer I had with the car.

ALTHOUGH, the noise itself may be down to the space on the insides of the gear boxes not deadening any mechanical noise.

Not much of a comparison, but my Associated buggy is much quieter and that gearbox case hugs the gears.

Elliott.

Last edited by Elliott Hopkins; 01-12-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2006

Hello chaps
Thought I'd sign up to this forum as it seems to be full of knowledgable people (unlike certain other forums I know of...) and introduce myself. I've been racing off road electrics for about 3 years on and off, mainly on wooden floor at a nearby club (FORCC at Faversham, for anyone in the Kent area of the UK) but I have raced on grass a few times. I prefer grass, you actually have traction! I've owned a DF-03 since may or whenever they were released in this country, and been steadily modifying it into something almost unrecogniseable...

It's got all the Tamiya hopups (including 2 extra heatsink bars), a cooling fan above the motor, full CVD's (including the 5 stars centre one which I found on Ebay), a mixture of Square and 5 Stars aluminium steering cranks and knuckles, and the newest additions 3 racing carbon chassis, front and rear towers, and diff outputs (kept breaking the stock Tamiya ones). I've also crowbarred a Trakpower lithium battery into the chassis, aided and abetted by my trusty dremel and hacksaw I got the Trakpower from the rep as a sample to try out, it was one of the first ones in the country, workign in a model shop does have its advantages Anyway just thought I'd say hello, and it's nice to see a site full of electric off road stuff
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X