Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2013

surprise surprise, but I disagree...

There are local club racers AND local regional racers... The trouble is that, in my opinion, the rc4 will impact on the established local club racers. Which are those that enjoy the hobby, but perhaps do not quite take it as life or death as some of the regional racers "can" do! I guess it depends on where and what you think is the heartbeat of a club and who you think you can get away with upsetting.

The only trouble with the scenario that Darren suggested was that he very interestingly seemed to diss the cheapest option very easily and quickly. Perhaps he is not used to talking with racers on a budget, but I do not understand the "real deal" reference to the mylaps... MRT works currently, the end.

And I am quite chilled, I just think each club should make its own mind up based on its own membership wants and requirements... It seems there are quite a few of the SHRCCC who have MRT and DO NOT see the need to have to change. Or are we going to have to manual count everyone..

Those wanting to attend regionals etc face a different choice and challenge to those who "just" want to relax and race with folk once or twice a week..

And on that note have fun racing tonite, hope its snowing! It is here!!
Old 17-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Or are we going to have to manual count everyone..
Oh please got nooooooooo

And not snowing... yet Sunday might be ice racing!
Old 17-01-2013

Okay, call me thick if you like, but what's better about the new PURCY over the HARRY ?
And I have to agree with Darren, it's got to be a tough call for clubs! as racer's
On a budget or not, will Start buying the new PURCY pt's then only to find they can only race at clubs that's upgraded !
It's a crazy situation that Amb has created ? I'm not one, but there must be loads of racers with the MRTs ?.
And how long before Harry's become unavalible to buy anyway ??
Old 17-01-2013

Have all the clubs in the region got the RC3 box which allows the firmware upgrade to RC4, i know our club still has the RC2 box (not a club in your region).

Only asking as if they do have RC2 it means there is a cost to the club to get the new box.
Old 17-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv View Post
Have all the clubs in the region got the RC3 box which allows the firmware upgrade to RC4, i know our club still has the RC2 box (not a club in your region).

Only asking as if they do have RC2 it means there is a cost to the club to get the new box.
AFAIK all clubs in this region are now either RC3 or RC4... If it cost the clubs to change then I think that would be a whole new scenario too....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 17-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
AFAIK all clubs in this region are now either RC3 or RC4... If it cost the clubs to change then I think that would be a whole new scenario too....
I think TORCH run on the RC3 software on RC2 decoder

Tough call!!
Old 17-01-2013

IF we have to upgrade and I'm only saying IF - would the supplier of the system we have to move to accept a group buy i.e. buy in bulk to keep the cost down?
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 17-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie stella View Post
I think TORCH run on the RC3 software on RC2 decoder

Tough call!!
Yup correct Matt and with the deal being offered RC4 + warranty... Hello!

To be discussed tomorrow.

As you know a lot of our racers travel (TC, 1/8th & 1/10th) so my advice, bin the MRT. What to choose, I'll leave that to the racer's own budget. If they only race at torch they prob have MRT, therefore get a Percy via trade in is my recommendation.

Me I use Harry PTs so job done.

As a race director I hate MRT! Clashes... I spoke to Mr Knight Saturday and he hates them too lol!

MRT copied My Laps, it's business - get over it.. They done well while it lasted.

Some people will spend nearly a trade in price on tyres for ONE meeting. So what's the big deal on cost?

I accept it's not a nice cost for those with nothing as it's not got the same buzz re a motor or something.

We still offer handouts at torch, these may change to handout Percy PTs. Handout PT for car keys etc. so we are happy to assist those new racers. However over time they get PTs as at some stage their best run is always the one that they didn't 't fit the HT...
Old 17-01-2013
Mad Member

Default Bulk

I think there is a current small discount for buying bulk Harry's and I guess the same for the Percy.
I feel eventually we will all have to have Harry or Percy for the main clubs. And MRT may well be defunct unless they develop a PT that will work with the later system and offer a trade in of the old MRT pt's ?

Hopefully a cost effective and easy transition will materialise in the next few months. But at the moment, it's not looking great news for anyone really, except the seller of the Harry/Purcys

I think Darren made some very good points regarding local/regional club interaction.

We all need to think about the club racer and the regionals to. The higher the racer is/gets in results etc the more accepting they become of change and the costs involved, and just tent to go with the flow.
It's the club racers, the bread and butter of most clubs that need to be considered. A Pt is an expensive item just to count a lap, even thou its accepted as an essential item for all classes. If the makers got the price down, to maybe £20 per PT, then no one would really care, but at £65/£76 per PT it's just not something budget/local/club racers are willing to just replace. It's an expensive item that we just have to have. To make life easy.

I race a supastox at BRCC and they use an iris style PT that's £20, I had to buy one to race there and that was no problem. But if I was told, I had to buy a £76 PT to race there I would have not bothered. Not a chance as I have 2 x Harry's already for my 10th buggies.

So it does come down to price in the main part, so maybe there is a back step to be made, the clubs go back to 20 rechargeable PT's as handouts before your round and do away with personal PT's.... Then BBK would be a little stuffed as they would sell none of there PT's once all clubs had there 20.... So no one wins.

Sadly, we are not wanting to go back to the old style PT handouts, so we must move on, just a shame it's bully boy tactics of " buy the latest pt or our other PT or your stuffed"

Not ideal in any version for the clubs, racer or wallet. Only winner is the maker of the PT and the software......... And that is..............
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 18-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
the clubs go back to 20 rechargeable PT's as handouts before your round and do away with personal PT's....
Impossible, unfortunately!

It is my understanding that BBK (mylaps, whatever) supplied and serviced (unless you knew what you're doing) the handouts and have stopped this service since the mass rise in PT's. Thats why the BRCA followed suit and removed handouts from Nationals last season.

Also, this would never be ideal with PT's as handouts as moving them from car to car throughout the night/day would result in wires wearing out etc...
Old 18-01-2013

I don't know much about PTs as a speciofic issue however I do work in technology.

All the products / services I deliver to my customer how a cradle to grave life span. We know and share the details of when products, large or small, wil be End of Life'd and they know and can budget for that.

If we are having to move PTs due to technical reasons, fine. However, having spent c. £120 on PTs already in the last 6 months, I do find the prospect of 2 new PTs at £75+ a bit of a ball ache

So why did I mention the EoL? Well if we have to move thats just life but at the prospect of £150 for 2, I would like to know lifespan and expected utilisation of it. I don't mean "Well if you race twice a week you'll get twice the usage", I mean something like 8 out of 11 clubs in your region are going this sytem including TORCH SHRCCC and XXXXXX."

2 new PTs cos theres competition in the market place should be a lower figure IMHO
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post

As a race director I hate MRT! Clashes... I spoke to Mr Knight Saturday and he hates them too lol!

MRT copied My Laps, it's business - get over it.. They done well while it lasted.

Some people will spend nearly a trade in price on tyres for ONE meeting. So what's the big deal on cost?

I accept it's not a nice cost for those with nothing as it's not got the same buzz re a motor or something.
S'funny I thought clubs "catered" for their racers and members and not the other way around! I just see this as a bit of ignorance (as in not understanding) of how to use MRT's. We've had a couple of clashes at shrccc, but nothing a few minutes resetting one of the MRT's didn't cover. It really is quite simple if you bother to try to cater for your members...

As for "some" spending that much on tyres, yes, but aren't those "typically" the racers who also enter the regionals etc? If you argree then surely its down to personal choice to spend that much money on tyres, just as it would to then spend the money on updating" a PT that worked at both your club and ours. What you are still not getting is that some folk like to escape and race once or twice a week WITHOUT huge expense on tyres or anything else. I'm just concerned that the "bullyboy" business tactics used by mylaps penalise those racers... Especially if clubs like you just "roll over" and accept the proposed changes just like that... I think its pretty sad that no-one is trying to stand up for the little guy in all this... But then again, looking at this forum, and the number of times you've changed your car in the past few years, it seems thst you are one of those who doesn't mind (or can afford to) spend large amounts of cash on their hobby... Good for you, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round... I just get the feeling "some" people can't see or understand that...
Old 20-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Err what's my cars and finances got to do with it?

As others know I'm working on things behind the scenes, talking with other clubs, racers, BRCA and BBK.

I've actually got a sizeable list of racers asking about upgrades. So no I'm not ignoring them, far from it. I could just say sort yourselves out lads....
Old 20-01-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Just to add, this is A club member talking not on behalf or representing SHRCCC!
Old 20-01-2013

Its simple, from the points you raised and attempted discussion points but you "appear" to be in the camp of spending "lots" on your hobby, so to you the cost is insignificant.. I'm just trying to say not everyone is like you, and if we as SHRCCC club are not careful we may lose some of our core club members... Which I think is what I wrote... It ain't rocket science...
Old 20-01-2013

Dudders... YES, I am independent, these are MY thoughts and views only... Although I will be saying them again at our next AGM!
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Dr Up Grade I like many run 3 MRT PT's and still want to compete at Regionals, unfortunately BBK seem to be forcing clubs to change and upgrade, so it is fate acomply exchange my MRT's or give up, i am unaware if BBK have considered they might be pricing and forcing some people out of the holiday or do they care? As Mikey said in a round about way MRT have riden on BBK's coat tails for a long time if it was your business would you not look to stop it?
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 20-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Its simple, from the points you raised and attempted discussion points but you "appear" to be in the camp of spending "lots" on your hobby, so to you the cost is insignificant.. I'm just trying to say not everyone is like you, and if we as SHRCCC club are not careful we may lose some of our core club members... Which I think is what I wrote... It ain't rocket science...
Surly if we don't move with the times then we'd still be shouting out numbers off cars as the went past race control. At least the Older AMP transponders will work. In big business no one wants there product "cloned". And i believe in the upgrading "clubs" defense is it not mandatory to upgrade if they are to hold a national?

Besides I like the idea of Percy's being able to have 4 transponders with the same number with a .1, .2,.3 etc after them. Much easier to remember!
Old 21-01-2013

Hotrod Chris, your exact words are what I'm worried about for our club. That some people will decide to give up. It sounds like your club is lucky that you've made the decision to stay despite the increased expense. As for BBK I kinda lack sympathey for them especially after this (what I see as) aggressive business orientated move that has no real term benefit for the end user, their customers... I think someone else has already said that they don't care about the RC world and have moved on to bigger fish such as 1:1 cars. Wasn't there something about Harrys not working with kers in F1?

As for MRT 'copying' or cloning the technology, I work in a business line where intelectual property (IP) is paramount to what I do. If a company didn't protect themselves in the first place well enough in this regard then well thats tough... Especially as the competitor can produce and market them at oh say 2/3 the price. Surely that tells you someting about the mark up by BBK...?

Chef, I understand about moving with the times and upgrading for an advantage... I just can't see the advantage of this to the end user, or at least having a 1-9 number after the main number isn't that big enough advantage to go with the cost of it..

One last point to Mikey... I'm not really into all this behind the scenes talking... I say lets have everything upfront and in the open, complete transparency and full disclosure. So just what have you been saying, and to whom? Not to mention that for the sake of a level playing field, have you also been involved in any behind the scenes talks with MRT? Perhaps as a 'representative' of racers you should...? I don't know you from Adam, so by what 'mandate' or 'right' do you have to be talking behind the scenes anyhow? Sorry, but it feels like your apparent personal bias towards BBK has influenced your discussions... And how is that really helping all racers..?
Old 21-01-2013

When push comes to shove mrt have produced there own timing system that will not run anything but mrt transponders so the way i look at it is bbk or amb or whoever they are have decided if ours won't work with yours then yours won't work on ours.
Closed Thread