Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 14-10-2013

Default Dex210 handling

Hi guys,
Need some advice ! Yesterday I raced my 210 for the first time indoors it was 50% wood 50% carpet, I was running everything kit no hop ups with 35 oil all round !! Tyres were new mini pins all round !! Now on the carpet she was gripping like she was on rails but soon as it hit the wood you would steer and have to wait a pretty long time for it to turn in, there was just no grip ! So I got some help and advice from one of the guys there and got a lot better camber and I tried staggers at the front !! This solved the issue on the wood but I lost a lot of grip on the carpet

Any advice on how to keep the amazing grip on the carpet put also keep it on the wood aswell, i.e springs, oils, anything really. All the other guys were running pins all round and it looked like they your on rails.

Thanks in advance
Old 14-10-2013
Mad Member

You'll find the mini-pins will get better once they've bedded in on the rear. Keep the cut staggers up front too.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 14-10-2013

I had almost the same problems.
New car, minipins in the back and cut staggers up in front.
On carpet everything was on rails. Super easy to drive and fast.
On the plywood jumps it wasn't so awesome.
Hard to jump with lots of nosedive or maybe I'm just used to 4WD
Old 14-10-2013

So basically there shit on wood !!
Old 14-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark6183 View Post
So basically there shit on wood !!
They're hard work setup wise. What kept catching me out was I found I had to change the setup week after week even though it was the same surface. I was always chasing the setup it got annoying in the end instead of racing it so I got a Bmax2 now I'm extremely happy.
Old 14-10-2013

Might be worth trying some Schumacher Venom88's? They are slick cut with grooves which DEX210's can use on the rear. They work well on carpet and should work equally well on wood floor. May need some additive to give full grip on carpet and wood floor.

Hope this helps
Old 14-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
They're hard work setup wise. What kept catching me out was I found I had to change the setup week after week even though it was the same surface. I was always chasing the setup it got annoying in the end instead of racing it so I got a Bmax2 now I'm extremely happy.
Your the 2nd person today that's said get a bmax 2 !! Are they easy to set up ?
Old 14-10-2013

I had one and ran it along side a DEX210 but do not fool your self that you will not have to work at it to get it sorted. castor angle and Ackerman would be a option to change.
I would ask if anyone would let you have a drive before changing
They are both good cars but then there is the RB6 the TM2 etc
Old 14-10-2013
Mad Member

No point in changing cars, there's loads you can change on your DEX210 and it's an ace car. Yes the Yok's do go well but you can still translate what the bmaxs do onto your DEX210 with the endless possibilities of set-up.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 14-10-2013

I went onto the durango site and looked up some carpet set ups so I'm gona give them a whirl this week
Old 14-10-2013

What springs do you guys use ?
Old 15-10-2013

I use kit springs front and rear, if you are getting understeer on the wood is this on corner entry mid or exit, as when this happens gives you an area to look at to change.
Old 15-10-2013

The 210 does seem to lack a lot of traction compared to most other cars I found.
Old 15-10-2013

Quote:
Your the 2nd person today that's said get a bmax 2 !! Are they easy to set up ?
Spot on out of the box, the kit setup is near bang on just stick 20g in the front and that'll do. They are excellent and the version 1 is cheap as chips and because it has the plastic chassis it has loads of grip on the slippy floor.
Old 15-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
The 210 does seem to lack a lot of traction compared to most other cars I found.
The lack of traction I found to be mainly on the rear end - increasing the droop helps a lot, using 0* anti-squat, and (though I have yet to try it), a low roll center mod.

The understeer on wood however implies it's the other way around - at least on wood. The two times I drove on carpet+wood was at the EOS, and I noticed there was some kind of dust and fluff accumulating on the wood. I can imagine the staggers might slide over the dust whereas the spikes can find some grip. Since the grip issues you're having on wood are that bad, have you tried pins yet? Of course you may have to calm down the car on carpet by removing the outer and inner rows of spikes, as well as the suspension setup

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 15-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
The lack of traction I found to be mainly on the rear end - increasing the droop helps a lot, using 0* anti-squat, and (though I have yet to try it), a low roll center mod.

The understeer on wood however implies it's the other way around - at least on wood. The two times I drove on carpet+wood was at the EOS, and I noticed there was some kind of dust and fluff accumulating on the wood. I can imagine the staggers might slide over the dust whereas the spikes can find some grip. Since the grip issues you're having on wood are that bad, have you tried pins yet? Of course you may have to calm down the car on carpet by removing the outer and inner rows of spikes, as well as the suspension setup
It's the pins where I get no grip on wood and loads on carpet ! The staggers work well on wood but not as sharp steering on carpet !! I need the best of both worlds !!
Old 15-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARB View Post
I use kit springs front and rear, if you are getting understeer on the wood is this on corner entry mid or exit, as when this happens gives you an area to look at to change.
It's on entry and mid section then towards the end section she finds grip but by that time I've gone really wide
Old 15-10-2013

Try a shorter front camber link it will give more entry steering also if you "free up the rear" it will allow the car to rotate more into the corner. As for mini pins on wood they need to be nearly bald to work on a slippery floor hth
Old 15-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
Try a shorter front camber link it will give more entry steering also if you "free up the rear" it will allow the car to rotate more into the corner. As for mini pins on wood they need to be nearly bald to work on a slippery floor hth
Thanks I'll give that a try, how do I free up the back end though ? I'm not the best at the technical side of things :/
Old 15-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
It's the pins where I get no grip on wood and loads on carpet ! The staggers work well on wood but not as sharp steering on carpet !! I need the best of both worlds !!
Ok, I read that wrong, sorry about that. Adding agression to the cut stagger setup shouldn't be too hard. Does the car have too little steering altogether or is it in a certain part of the corner (turn-in, mid-corner, on power out of corners)? Or is it really sharpness you're missing?

There are loads of things you can try. My suggestions:
- Try the difference between cut staggers and low profile cut staggers. The low profile one should feel sharper because the tire doesn't deform as much, but will probably provide less grip.
- A lesser caster angle (for example 25 or even 20 degrees): Less caster to me felt like the car had less agressive turn-in. 20 degrees made the front end less predictable and sharp than I like, but less caster had more steering altogether (the steering builds up a bit, and eventually it's higher).
- Try a more upright rear shock position. I haven't got experience with this on the 210, but the same principles should apply: It will remove some rear sideways grip as the shocks will try to resist the initial roll on turn-in - it might increase chances of oversteer on wood, but it's worth a shot as on high grip, the looser rear end may unlock more steering and may even enable you to throw the car around in a tighter line. Doing the opposite to the front end instead of this should give a milder effect: It will make the front end roll more on turn-in, loading the outside front wheel and increasing steering.

Also, when making your setup, keep an eye on the cut staggers... I'm not sure how much bite you'll lose if the ribs' edges wear off.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy