Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 01-12-2013

Default Foams question please.

Where are you guys buying your foams from these days?

I think I got my last set from kamtec but they were too narrow for the rear and look daft.

Pretty sure Matt said you can get double width donuts for the rear.

Also what shore rating do people use, softer on the back?

Thanks a lot
Andy.
Old 01-12-2013

Andy,
Me and Callum use the Contact 1/8th scale donuts which we normally buy direct from Schumacher http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/catego...ar_Donuts.html we use 37 shore. Likewise the tyres are slightly narrower than the rear wheels.
Lee
Old 02-12-2013

The last foams I brought were from kamtec models and were UFRA Pinks in double width which you cut down for the size you require.

The Ufra Pinks are 34 shore rating so ver soft.
To find on the Kamtec website put "1:8" in the first search box and "foam" in the second.

I am about to buy some more foams myself and am going to try the contact ones (Although I dont like they dont fill the whole wheel) but am gettting softested I can for the rear (35 I think) and harder for the front (40) due to the way my car handles and it being 2wd.

Note: Kamtec also do the shumacher contacts too.

I did try some foam I got from work this week, that idea is now scrapped

Still somehow made the A though.

What clue are people using to attach the tyres to the wheels????

Thats what I need help with.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
The last foams I brought were from kamtec models and were UFRA Pinks in double width which you cut down for the size you require.

The Ufra Pinks are 34 shore rating so ver soft.
To find on the Kamtec website put "1:8" in the first search box and "foam" in the second.

I am about to buy some more foams myself and am going to try the contact ones (Although I dont like they dont fill the whole wheel) but am gettting softested I can for the rear (35 I think) and harder for the front (40) due to the way my car handles and it being 2wd.

Note: Kamtec also do the shumacher contacts too.

I did try some foam I got from work this week, that idea is now scrapped

Still somehow made the A though.

What clue are people using to attach the tyres to the wheels????

Thats what I need help with.
So the emulsion rollers didn't work then I use the normal super glue type adhesives.
Old 02-12-2013

My kamtec foams have always gripped well, although as we have said, narrow at the back and not very tall. Always been a bit worried the side walls of my rims will dig into the carpet, but don't think that has happened yet.

As for how to glue them on, hurrah that falls into the category of one of the very few questions that I can answer on RC car racing:-)

Contact adhesive is best I am led to believe. Superglue soaks into the foam apparently and can even soak through to the surface and reduce grip or ruin the foam.

I used contact adhesive, after getting rid of the ribs on the middle of the wheel (pain in the arse that was, unless you have a dremel). Worked well in the end, still on same set, several months later.
Old 03-12-2013

I run the shuy 1/8th foams on the 410 they are now pretty worn and don't cover the whole rear wheel . I run 40 shore all round they grip well and grip even better on Vaughns b44.1.
I have struggled with the X6 tho with these tyres as I can not get consistent grip with them last time I ran it it was awesome in practise before the final but soon as I put more additive on it was all over the place. I have noticed a lot of the 2wd lads tend not to use a lot of additive but doing that will cause inconsistency as well
I am looking for a more fuller rear foam as well for the 2wd as you do need more side wall for grip on them
Old 03-12-2013

Any recommendation on brand/type?
I brought some glue for glueing foam to foam which is classed as a contact adhesive but found out the hard way (After loosing a tyre and pete anouncing it over the microphone) that it dont work for foam to plastic!!!
Great for foam to foam though

2nd is 1st placed loser!!