Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 13-05-2014

Default A few questions about SHRCCC?

Long time RC'er with a couple of kids and my eldest has a Hyper Mini ST and enjoys bashing but wants to race somewhere, now as we live on the border of Yateley School we would have joined up there but it's shut down
So a quick google led me to here and I'm quite interested as I used to race electric buggies at Courtmoor School BITD (with a Tamiya Bigwig).
I was wondering what classes race at SHRCCC, I can see results for 2WD and 4WD but I see there is an SC class too and was wondering if there are levels within the classes?
I really want to start out with a basic 2WD or 4WD brushed setup and NiMH batteries (I have some brushed ESC's, some reasonable LRP motors and quite a few NiMH batteries and charger) so he can get used to the racing on track, is there a stock, super stock class or similar?
We will come down and watch the racing one Thursday or Sunday but was hoping to get an idea before his birthday at the beginning of June and I don't want to just go out and buy a buggy only to find it's not competitive or can't be raced.
Currently thinking a Hobao H2 Pro which is very competitively priced might be a good start point for him.
Also is there any historic racing? I wouldn't mind having a crack with my Tamiya Wildone , although I am tempted by an Egress re-re.

Cheers,

Carl.
Old 13-05-2014

Hi Carl

2wd is the predominant class these days being supported in larger numbers than 4wd at club level.
Yes we do race short course trucks but only at large meetings on a general Thursday/Sunday club meeting it's 2wd and a few 4wds
Brushed motors and esc and nimhs don't really get used for racing anymore although perfectly useable brushless and lipo is so much more efficient and hassle free
Steer well clear of the hobao you will spend forever in apex models ordering parts they are not a very strong car. Best bet is to look at what everyone at the track runs then go from there I would recommend a losi 22. Nothing wrong with a second hand roller
Hope this helps
James
Old 13-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
Hi Carl

2wd is the predominant class these days being supported in larger numbers than 4wd at club level.
Yes we do race short course trucks but only at large meetings on a general Thursday/Sunday club meeting it's 2wd and a few 4wds
Brushed motors and esc and nimhs don't really get used for racing anymore although perfectly useable brushless and lipo is so much more efficient and hassle free
Steer well clear of the hobao you will spend forever in apex models ordering parts they are not a very strong car. Best bet is to look at what everyone at the track runs then go from there I would recommend a losi 22. Nothing wrong with a second hand roller
Hope this helps
James
Have to admit I am a little disappointed with the response, not so much about the car as everyone has their favourites and so do most clubs, but the lack of an entry level class for the younger generation seems an oversight.
My boy is 12 and although he has a good handle on the Hyper Mini ST, he doesn't know racing and control on a small track, chucking him straight in with a brushless lipo setup is not only expensive but a bad way to learn and potentially destructive. I was looking at tarmac racing (not really where my heart is) and both clubs I looked at offer a stock class as an introduction series and I was hoping for similar here. Ah well, there just isn't the budget to buy a car, brushless motor/esc setup and lipo's and charging rig. I can run to a car and a couple of additional batteries (I already have a NiMH peak AC/DC peak charger) as I already have some brushed ESC's spare and a choice of LRP brushed motors, there seems little point in pursuing it if he is already at the back because of budget.
Back to the drawing board then, look like it may be back to tarmac touring cars at Aldershot.

Carl.
Old 13-05-2014

Hi Carl,

I used to race at courtmoor school some 26 years ago, a couple of our other member also raced there albeit after I left.

I personally think you'll find the off road scene friendlier and more helpful. There is also a range of abilities at the club with plenty of new and juniors. My son has just started racing and he's 7 1/2. I've set his car to go slow and he does ok. There are a number of other kids ranging from 7-14 so he'd be in good company.

For reference my son races a losi 22. Strong car and great for beginners and top drivers. Why don't you pop down this Thursday and have a look.
Old 13-05-2014
Mad Member

Default ?????????

I think you misunderstand

New drivers of ANY age are MORE than welcome. We have juniors racing and newbies all the time.

there are different heats and newer drivers are in the 1st heat.

So get down and see what its all about.

James mentioned the car, there are many choices and get a feel for whats best once you have been

a brushed set up is fine to begin with, just not many use them as the brusdless/Lipos etc are much better and more efficient now.

But if you already have these electrics that's fine to get going. then decide what to get later on.

SHRCCC is one of the most friendly for new and young drivers and I think you need to just come along and see what its like. You are welcome to come and watch, chat etc etc anytime..

2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 13-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarlos View Post
Have to admit I am a little disappointed with the response, not so much about the car as everyone has their favourites and so do most clubs, but the lack of an entry level class for the younger generation seems an oversight.
My boy is 12 and although he has a good handle on the Hyper Mini ST, he doesn't know racing and control on a small track, chucking him straight in with a brushless lipo setup is not only expensive but a bad way to learn and potentially destructive. I was looking at tarmac racing (not really where my heart is) and both clubs I looked at offer a stock class as an introduction series and I was hoping for similar here. Ah well, there just isn't the budget to buy a car, brushless motor/esc setup and lipo's and charging rig. I can run to a car and a couple of additional batteries (I already have a NiMH peak AC/DC peak charger) as I already have some brushed ESC's spare and a choice of LRP brushed motors, there seems little point in pursuing it if he is already at the back because of budget.
Back to the drawing board then, look like it may be back to tarmac touring cars at Aldershot.

Carl.
Carl,another ex court moor racer here with my boy now racing. Kian started 6 months ago with a used losi 22 and my oldvelectrics, but I soon up-dated to brushless and lipos, cheaper in the long run by far.

No need for a stock class as it would cost more if a junior arrived with the wrong kit, it's better to all run what you have, however most kids run losi 22 as us who have to repair them like the tank like build quality. I sold a whole set up Inc Batts, motor, controller etc to a new kid last week so now would be a great time for you to join in the fun.
Old 13-05-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Lots of great advice here. You'll find the 'stock' Tarmac classes far from stock - it's all down to the whizziest motor brand and super esc.
Old 14-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarlos View Post

Carl.
Hi again Carl
I think you need to re read my original post I stated that brushed motors esc and nimhs are perfectly useable and that the newer brushless lipo is just hassle free never said anything about not being able to compete with older equipment.
Also as for the car side of things you asked if anyone knew anything about them sorry for telling you what you didn't want to hear. You asked for advice I was merely trying to guide you.
And as dudders has said stock touring car racing isn't cheap I left touring cars because it got so expensive
Old 14-05-2014

Ah, seems a bit more positive.
When I was saying about stock class the limits were quite strict the defunct Yateley school club used to run a 27T motor and 2C lipo limit and Aldershot has a class with a HPI 15T firebolt motor, both classes would be fairly cost effective to enter and seemed like a good idea for noobies.
On this lipo/brushless thing I didn't want to bring him down and be put into heats with people where he'd be getting in the way of much faster cars, it's annoying for them and disheartening for him. We will probably change and evolve if things progress and invest first in LiPo and then move to brushless but want to start with what we have.
I will try and come down on a Thursday evening and have a look.
Part of the reasoning for this whole racing thing is so my boy can build his own car so he knows how it all goes together (and can follow the manual) so when he needs to adjust and fix it he can and it's not just left to me. I'm sorry to say though £240 (or even more on the Durango DEX) on a Losi 22 bare kit just isn't happening (I have two others vying for money and attention). The main options would be a Team-C TC02Evo on the H2 Pro and the H2 being discounted at the moment to £99 looks very tempting. The online reports from racers running it seem to say the H2 is tough (much like any Hobao/OFNA) and only has a problem with diff O rings which are easily upgraded and front knuckles which were re-designed after the first batch. I will do some more reading though.

Carl.
Old 14-05-2014

I dont think you will find a better club to race at ,
SHRCCC has allways been run as a fun club that anyone can race at (as long as you have a 1/10 scale buggy or SCT then you can race it !.
I would say go for a second hand car ,you will get a lot more for your money !.
As for the build side of things (once its built 80% of the car will never need to be played with again & the other 20 % he will pick up in no time at all ).
Please do not be put off by the cost (Have a look at www.hobbyking.co.uk and you will see that if you want to go down the brushless road at some point it is not that bad .
If you whant to spend money it is very easy but if you dont then there is tones of second hand stuff on opple & ebay and also from guys at the club .

(also from yateley )

Gary
Old 14-05-2014

Hi there, I've been racing a dex 210 when I can get down there for about 9 months and have recently started taking my 11 year old son Scott who also uses a 210 as it's easier to manage the spares situation if you use the same cars. His complete set up inc charger lipos and all electrics and a spare set of wheels and tyres for when it's wet cost me £200 it's just a case of looking for bargains on oople and ebay. The drivers that you think your son will get in the way of are all aware that everybody has to start somewhere and at one point in time they were beginners on a limited budget. Like most others have said you should pop down on Thursday evening and see for yourself and have a chat with a few of us and get any other questions you have answered.
Old 15-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobson1970 View Post
I dont think you will find a better club to race at ,
SHRCCC has allways been run as a fun club that anyone can race at (as long as you have a 1/10 scale buggy or SCT then you can race it !.
I would say go for a second hand car ,you will get a lot more for your money !.
As for the build side of things (once its built 80% of the car will never need to be played with again & the other 20 % he will pick up in no time at all ).
Please do not be put off by the cost (Have a look at www.hobbyking.co.uk and you will see that if you want to go down the brushless road at some point it is not that bad .
If you whant to spend money it is very easy but if you dont then there is tones of second hand stuff on opple & ebay and also from guys at the club .

(also from yateley )

Gary

Gary, if you hussel over to apex models they haveca brand new losi 22 in a box for much less than the £250. I nearly brought it for kian so he could have a new car. Then I realized I didn't love him that much so changed my mind!
Old 15-05-2014

I sold my losi 22 a long time ago , i did not like the fact that you have stuff the ESC,servo,batterys & pt in a space the size of a matchbox
Thats why i have an XB4 & my new KF .
The 22 is a great car (but not for me )

Gary
Old 15-05-2014
Mad Member

Default 2wd

if going the 2wd route there is stacks of choice and many decent used examples about look on here for starters.

the 22 is strong as can be but yes very limited on space inside.

so much choice, pop down the track and/or apex and see what you like.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 16-05-2014

Came down last night with the kids, the eldest is interested now and want's to race (he won't give up the Gas truggy for bashing though) and so does the younger one too, even my 3 year old daughter much to her mothers disgust want's a 'pink car' now.
Looking to invest in brushless and lipo setups (I would say looking at the pros and cons lipo don't make the clearcut case that brushless does as they look to be really high maintenance) so will have to keep car budgets to minimum but at least if 3 of us are running the same car sharing spares and messing with setups will be easy, so sorry to say we will probably go with the H2 (he want's new, but i'll go used), but variety is the spice of life and all that and it would be boring if everyone raced Losi or Durango's.

Carl.
Old 16-05-2014

Carl , if you wanna go for that car is cool ,!my suggestion is to make sure you have enough spares with you on the day you race or you will be forced to pack up and go back home if u break something,
In would still suggesting a Durango 210 .😀
Old 17-05-2014

Default Damage

Buy what you want, just come down, race and have fun with the kids. If you break something, just but an extra one for if it happens again. The kids don't break as much as us adults as they have faster reactions and slower cars!