Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 10-11-2011
Mad Member

Default Gear Diff for TRF201

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out here has tried to fit a gear diff from another car in the TRF201? The ball diff I have works nicely, but I'd love to try out a gear diff in it.

I know there is a gear diff for the FF03 by Spec-R, but I heard it's too wide to fit in the TRF201 gear casing. I looked a little further and since the AEB4/4.1, TRF201 and with some parts even the DEX210 share the geometry of parts, I was wondering whether the gear diffs of these might fit. I quickly figured the DEX210 diff wouldn't work due to the very short outdrives. The B4 has imperial sizes but perhaps someone has tried it?

So in short: Anyone got more information on this?
Old 10-11-2011

I wonder if the longer 410 outdrives will fit in the 210 gear diff and together make a suitable gear diff for the 201...

As the 210 gear diff isn't available just yet, we'll have to wait and see..
Old 11-11-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
I wonder if the longer 410 outdrives will fit in the 210 gear diff and together make a suitable gear diff for the 201...

As the 210 gear diff isn't available just yet, we'll have to wait and see..
Nice idea! I really hope they are indeed interchangeable. I see in the manual that the gear diff will use the same 9T and 14T gears inside the diff, so the hex shape with which the outdrives fit through the 14T gears will be the same.

The 210 Gear Diff will probably be available soon. Then it's just finding the people who have the parts to try it out, and let's not forget, would like to help us find out!
Old 11-11-2011

Well, my 210 gear diff is on back order, I have 410 outdrives, and I might just try it in my 201 GTO... Unfortunately, I don't have a standard 201 gearbox to be positive that the diff will not foul in one. Likewise, it is possible that I may have an issue with the GTo gearbox that isn't there with the std one.
Old 11-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out here has tried to fit a gear diff from another car in the TRF201? The ball diff I have works nicely, but I'd love to try out a gear diff in it.

I know there is a gear diff for the FF03 by Spec-R, but I heard it's too wide to fit in the TRF201 gear casing. I looked a little further and since the AEB4/4.1, TRF201 and with some parts even the DEX210 share the geometry of parts, I was wondering whether the gear diffs of these might fit. I quickly figured the DEX210 diff wouldn't work due to the very short outdrives. The B4 has imperial sizes but perhaps someone has tried it?

So in short: Anyone got more information on this?
Maybe the TA06 diff is a direct fit?
Old 18-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to Junior Z

I use a gear diff on my TRF201 since august.
I use the diff gear form de Kyosho Ultima SC
This diff gear need to modified the gear box.
It's very easy to do it with a dremel...
What pleasure to run with a diff gear!

Old 19-11-2011
Mad Member

Cool! I happen to have an Ultima SC so I know how smooth the diff is Just wondering though what exactly needs to be modified to make it fit? Just dremeling the edges a bit so it's a little narrower?
Old 28-11-2011

Junior Z: It would be great if you could post a couple of pictures of your modifications and maybe let us know what Kyosho parts are needed
Old 30-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to Junior Z

Hi Perli,

To adapt the diff gear must be changed as the red area on the image below. It's not very difficult to achieve if we take the time and having the right tools ... There are approximately 1 mm in width to win.

Kyosho Ultima SC Parts:

Old 13-12-2011

Sorry for my later reply but thanks a lot for the pictures and the description! Looks like something I will try!
Old 19-07-2012
Mad Member

A few weeks back I came across the opportunity to buy a new, complete and assembled Ultima SC Diff for a good price. I bought it and today I modded my car for a gear diff.

The job took about an hour - the other rebuilding and cleaning work I did not included (that took me the whole day) - and the instructions above are detailed enough to get the job done.

There are only two things I'd like to add to the post Junior Z made:

First of all, after shaving the material the bearing has to extend slightly further into the casing than the ribs (aka the recess than holds the bearing needs less shaving than the ribs). If you don't do this the diff will rub slightly on the casing, even if the bearings are far enough apart (I think it has something to do with the screws that close the diff).

Also, take things slowly, it's best to shave off, test fit everything and repeat the cycle until you have enough clearance rather than overdoing it.

The diff feels very nice and smooth, it's very unusual to feel this on my TRF201! The first test will be on the 28th of July on astroturf, as a practice session for the nationals race one day later. I'm very curious about how it will drive, stay tuned!
Old 19-08-2012
Mad Member

I've driven the car twice now with the diff.

The first time was on a large astroturf track (Arendonk in Belgium):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCrDOrbMuQ

The track was wet on saturday, even at the end of the day it was still damp and Schumi silvers were still the way to go (though they wore very quickly). I used my setup from Kampenhout, except for the gear diff. I also swapped around my uprights (as they were touching the springs every now and then).

That weekend my car felt better than it ever had - in the wet and damp conditions. It was balanced and I felt I had the right amount of bite everywhere on the track. Once it became dry (end of the qualifying sessions) on sunday, I had to swap to Schumi yellows... It felt good on the really slow bits, but on the faster parts of the track (90 degree turn before straight, the first 2 hairpins after the main straight and even sometimes on slower parts of the track) it was just scary and it took some changes in my driving style to keep it from grip rolling.

I did no side by side comparisons on the same track between the different diffs. I'd like to do this, for that I have to make sure I have several oils and a fresh ball diff.

I also did a run on clay - with the astroturf setup (apart from the front springs) and it was all over the place - no surprises there then with my shabby preparation - If my FF Buggy is not ready in time to use at the next race, I'll again use my TRF201 on clay, this time I'll do some more preparation to get it running properly.