Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-10-2012
Mad Member

Default Durango pistons+piston rods in TRF shocks?

Hi everyone,

Lately I had been looking at replacing my TRF201 for another car - possibly X6 or RB6, but most likely a DEX210. However, considering how good the car has felt for the last few races - and the amount of spares I have for it - it's not that attractive to make the switch to another car right now.

So the decision stands: I'm keeping the 201 at least upto halfway next season. That (for me) justifies some mods/upgrades/customization to the car.

One of the improvements I'd be interested in is to have easier to work on shocks, taking the Durangos as an example. The quick removal of them, and the ability to easily swap pistons.

So I was wondering... Has anyone looked at putting Durango (small bore) piston rods and pistons on the TRF shocks? Or are they too different from one another?
Old 14-10-2012

Won't work! The durango pistons are larger/bigger diameter, slightly larger bore, they are equivelant to a losi in diameter. The Tamiyas are on the small side, they are even a bit smaller than associateds, which in turn are also a bit smaller than losi. The durango shock shafts are also a larger diameter, dont remember exactly the diameter but the shafts are large, I believe 3.25mm. Where as the tamiyas again are on the small side, measuring smaller than losi/associated shafts, which are identical.
Old 14-10-2012
Mad Member

Well there go those plans then. So it's either TRF dampers or completely different dampers then! I just want the shocks to be easier to work on, so I'm getting quick removal shock mounts. I thought Durango style pistons+rods would be the bomb to finish it off Ah well... Perhaps I'll just measure the Durango small bore shocks to look if they would fit on there, or I'll just have to accept the fiddly work with circlips - after all you need something to fill your time between the heats

Edit: I just acquired the info that the DEX410 small bore shocks are about 5-10 longer (both front and rear) compared to TRFs... And I found out the Durango shock mounts will not fit, either! What a pity I'll just look for another set of those quick removal mounts then and keep the TRF shocks.