Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-05-2012

Default TRF502 or TRF511

I suppose this question has come up in several threads already, but anyway.

After a few years with another make of car, I'm thinking about going back to a TRF car. I used to run the TRF501X untill 2009 and loved it !
The natural step would be to go to the TRF511 but I find it extremely hard to get my hands on a kit. They seem to be unobtainable at both the LHS or the known online stores. I wonder where you guys find those 511 kits.

However I can get a good deal on a TRF502, but I'm a bit hesitant since I read about a fair amount of issues with the 502 (steering lock, ackermann, bump steer, front shock geometry, easily cracked but hard to find gearcases, ...). And I always prefered belt cars in the past (they tend to be "smoother").

Is the TRF502 worth the gamble or should I continue the search for that elusive TRF511 kit ?
Old 24-05-2012

I think one of the most telling facts is that Lee Martin has gone back to the 511 for this year's nationals, and seems to be doing rather well with it, as usual.

I managed to find a bargain 511 on ebay. I don't think they sell them anymore, so second hand is the only option.

Great car, but then I've never driven a 502 to compare it with.

SilverstoneRCMCC
Old 25-05-2012

We run the 502 chassis at our clubs to great effect. Ive just taken the plunge aswell!
Old 25-05-2012
Mad Member

I run a 502 and I find it a great handling car. Yes it lacks a bit of steering but there are ways round it. They are pretty bullet proof too.

As for 511' I believe you can buy them in Japan And they have been re-released with geared diffs included along with ball diffs.

I'd imagine they would be expensive tho.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 25-05-2012

2nd hand will be your best bet. The new kits with gear diffs are ridiculously expensive. I might by selling my 511 soon as its too nice to race
Old 26-05-2012

I tried several "unofficial" sources and it's official : you can't get a new TRF511 kit at the moment, not even the expensive kit with the gear diffs.

Second hand : everybody seems to hold on to their 511's at the moment.

What worries me about the 502 in terms of reliability is the front shock tower assembly. We race a lot on astro and i can see troubles ahead with front gearcase breakages and front shocktower cracks (my 501 front shocktower broke regurarly untill I started using a 3racing one. That never broke again). And the A-parts seems to be difficult to obtain and they are expensive. Also the new alu steering assembly is expensive.
Old 26-05-2012
Mad Member

Everything for the cars are expensive! Saying, I ain't ever broken a front shock tower and I've had the car in som bad rolls.

Easy version of the 502.....buy a B44.1. Wish I had......
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 26-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
I tried several "unofficial" sources and it's official : you can't get a new TRF511 kit at the moment, not even the expensive kit with the gear diffs.

Second hand : everybody seems to hold on to their 511's at the moment.

What worries me about the 502 in terms of reliability is the front shock tower assembly. We race a lot on astro and i can see troubles ahead with front gearcase breakages and front shocktower cracks (my 501 front shocktower broke regurarly untill I started using a 3racing one. That never broke again). And the A-parts seems to be difficult to obtain and they are expensive. Also the new alu steering assembly is expensive.
I've been running my 502 for over a year and a half and still haven't broke a shock tower or mount. The A parts are now available for about £12 delivered from eBay as they are the same as the DB02.. I think the 502 is a great car and very reliable..
KF
SV2
SVR
www.racing-cars.com
Old 26-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
Everything for the cars are expensive! Saying, I ain't ever broken a front shock tower and I've had the car in som bad rolls.

Easy version of the 502.....buy a B44.1. Wish I had......
Ill buy it off you dave. Throw in the orion settings box an all!
Old 26-05-2012

Well, I just ordered the 502 and some parts and options. Just couldn't resist the TRF electric blue bling.

What do you guys prefer for the steering : the LM mod or the new steering hopup ?
Old 26-05-2012

I've ran both and think the new steering hop up gives a better feel, I'd also recommend the rude bits camber link mod..
KF
SV2
SVR
www.racing-cars.com
Old 26-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifta View Post
I'd also recommend the rude bits camber link mod..
I was considering it. It's a bit like the CAT system of camber link plates.
Old 27-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The front shock tower doesn't seem weak per se, just in certain circumstances it gives. As said, replacements are now cheap, though I am not sure the DB02 rear one works, how have they made the output drive work?

Overall the 502 is getting there now, as long as you have some form of steering mod on it, and the camber link mods (Either the rudebits or the homemade style).

As for 511's...not sure I can justify mine sat doing nothing, and I am back in the uk for a week or so around the end of June, I may be prepared to sell it then, along with gear diffs and the usual hopups (though I'd lob standard turnbuckles and shocks back on to sell!)...
Old 27-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
The front shock tower doesn't seem weak per se, just in certain circumstances it gives. As said, replacements are now cheap, though I am not sure the DB02 rear one works, how have they made the output drive work?

Overall the 502 is getting there now, as long as you have some form of steering mod on it, and the camber link mods (Either the rudebits or the homemade style).

As for 511's...not sure I can justify mine sat doing nothing, and I am back in the uk for a week or so around the end of June, I may be prepared to sell it then, along with gear diffs and the usual hopups (though I'd lob standard turnbuckles and shocks back on to sell!)...

Think of me if you decide to sell your 511 Dave

Dc
Old 27-05-2012

[QUOTE=DaveG28;658839]The front shock tower doesn't seem weak per se, just in certain circumstances it gives. As said, replacements are now cheap, though I am not sure the DB02 rear one works, how have they made the output drive work?

The gearbox bottoms and tops on the DB02 optional carbon mouldings are the same as trf502x mate, I bought them for mine and the parts tree is the 502x chassis number and A parts moulded on the tree, the carbon content looks exactly the same too Far as I know the bottom half of the gearbox is ' tilted' on the DB02 to get the centre shaft at an angle
Old 30-05-2012

I just ordered my second TRF511 today and it is on its way from RC champ... bloody expensive though
Old 30-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowta View Post
I just ordered my second TRF511 today and it is on its way from RC champ... bloody expensive though
So champ still has 511's ? I should have known.

It's to late now since my 502 is on its way, but just out of curiosity : what is champ charging for the 511 kit ?
Old 30-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
So champ still has 511's ? I should have know.

It's to late now since my 502 is on its way, but just out of curiosity : what is champ charging for the 511 kit ?
the kit itself is 48394 yen
add shipping and paypal charges
grand total 55770 yen or 454.00 pounds
Old 30-05-2012

454 pounds!?!?!? damn!!! just get a DB01R!! enclosed drive train included! lol
Old 01-06-2012

My 502 and some bits arrived today.

I'm going to build it with the new steering set but I'll also prepare the LM mod and try it out.