Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 15-09-2014

It's tough to decide what constitutes 'vintage' or not. The oople series had the same problem this summer when trying to decide the rules for their RC10 class. The RC10 Worlds edition, from 1991 I think (That has just been re-released) had a stealth gearbox that was able to handle much hotter motors than the standard 6 gear tranny in the Standard RC10 classic.

I think that anything that pre-dates the Losi XX or Associated B2 should be allowed to keep the class authentic. Also, A 10.5 or even 13.5 motor limit would be a good way of keeping things fair as like I said before the gearboxes on the later cars are far more capable of handling faster motors so would be a big advantage over the older cars.

A control tyre would be good too but the problem is that the classic rc10 uses 2" wheels where nearly everything else uses 2.2"

Chris
Old 15-09-2014

Ok so is my losi xxx kinwald ok for vintage?
I'm up for motor limits.
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 15-09-2014

Send a message via MSN to birdy

By the sounds of it this is getting serious!!

Battery's, Motors, ESC, Tyres should also be limited for the Vintage class me thinks.....

www.bmrcc.co.uk
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
By the sounds of it this is getting serious!!

Battery's, Motors, ESC, Tyres should also be limited for the Vintage class me thinks.....
It should be a bit of fun with retro cars for me ? As long as Birdy and Rob Mills give the rest a 3 lap start !
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 15-09-2014

Post I

This is where the whole vintage thing gets confusing Maddy,

The xxx is to all intents and purposes a modern car, It was released in 1999 and run in one guise or another up until 2011 when the 22 came out. Despite that what we don't want to do is turn anyone away who does want to run.

In an ideal world for authentic, close racing all running the re-released 1986 RC10 classic's would be awesome fun but I'm not stupid enough to think everyone will go out and buy one for the series.
In my opinion the appeal of the rc10/vintage racing is the classic look of the cars and the fact that the handling isn't very good so you do the best you can with what you have but maybe that's just me?

Even cars that fall within the years I would deem vintage 1986-1992 approx vary massively and get considerably better as the years went on. The RC10 classic is the most primitive of all the buggies we could run (and the one I would use) but Associated have also just re-released the worlds version of the rc10
From 1991 which is practically the beginning of the geometry of what would become the modern style 2wd buggy.

Control motors would be good, I see you can get a speed passion reventon R with 13.5 motor for £75 which would be ideal but control tyres would be a little trickier as anybody with the original RC10 would have to convert to adapters to also fit 2.2" wheels that we use now as the classic has 2" wheels.

How many people are seriously considering a bit of classic racing and what car's do you have?

Chris
Old 15-09-2014

Cougar 2 team with work's gearbox conversion, lipo's and a 15 double.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 15-09-2014

I do and will be using an original rc10
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 15-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Period electrics are hard to source. It ends up coming down to who can find the best brushed esc etc. At least with brushless and lipo everyone can have as much power as they can take which is actually more even!
But tyres are a good idea - I propose the Schumacher Block. Really they should be in Blue which was the only compound available back then but unless we want to be fussed with checking compounds I'd suggest we allow yellow and green. Its a very hard wearing tyre, comes in 2in (but can stretch onto 2.2's) and offers good but limited grip which will restrict speeds.
RC10 classics, Scorpions etc can use either the kit tyres in their non-standard sizes (since they offer no advantage) or Blocks if fitted with 2/2.2in wheels.

No Maddy your Losi is far too good and too new. Just look at the performance difference between your Losi and my RC10 compared to your RB6 and my 4210. With the modern cars we aren't that far apart, with the older ones its multiple laps. Admittedly I was having issues with the RC10's but thats not enough to explain the difference.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-09-2014

My losi wasn't fast by any means,I was on nims with a 9t motor,35amp esc and 90%of the time I was on full power even round the long corners,and berm, it's the fact that the losi was that slow I could blast round without making and real errors,I was just consistent in my lap times that's what made my times look good and finished 3rd in the final.
I set a better lap time with the xxx than I did with the Rb6 that day.
Your not a little bit jealous are you Si hehehe
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 16-09-2014

Si you car is slow because you have, 50lbs of blue tack stuck to the front
I would live to join in but cannot afford a vintage yet, could I run my brushed x6 ? 2006? :=)
knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit,
wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!

Last edited by Critch; 16-09-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 17-09-2014
Mad Member

All seriousness boys think we're dreaming that we'll have enough interest for a series.... Roger's meeting was the biggest it's been and we could only manage 9...... In an ideal world sounds great but people want to run their modern 2&4 cars.
So basically you'll be lucky just to get a heat together without all these limitations ect....
G Paint
Answer RC