Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > SERPENT

Old 02-12-2011
Legendary dude

The normal like wishbones , hubs ect but to be fair i never broke a plastic part. You dont need the different ackerman racks. Maybe get the ali servo horn as its fit and forget. Then to be honest everything else is just bling.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 02-12-2011
Legendary dude

Sorry i did get this to increase my range of anti squat http://www.serpent.com/product/600265/ i would say get this.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 02-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
The carbon towers are strong but because i like shiny bits i fitted the ali towers to my nitro version. Also may i suggest at some point getting the webbed membranes http://www.serpent.com/product/600357/. I felt these made the shocks more consistant and also i fitted the coned pistons.
+1, i use these on my 811T, makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
Thanks for the info Johnboy. Are there any recommended spares to carry like the servo saver and arm, or other option parts like the different sway bars and Ackerman option steering links?
I havent broken anything on my 811T yet (i said it now ), its been very reliable

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 03-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Did you degrease all the screws before assembly as recomended in post 25 by Ross as you have not included this yourself in your build guide.

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/serp...-building.html

Pre warning.
Clean all threads of the screws use even if they go into locknuts with motorcleaner or any other fluid that removes the machine oil that is on them.
Trust me if you do not.................you learn the hard way just like we did

Would like to see more breakdown details of the actual build rather than just final fits.
Old 03-12-2011
Mad Member

Must say....it looks ACE

Cheers for documenting the build Lip
Old 03-12-2011
Banned

Front end done!

No hicups and went together perfectly

the only thing that will need playing with to each persons liking is the shocks, Im defo going to get webbed bladders, tapered pistons and play about with the bore size of the pistons....this is a must I feel and will be something I change alot over the coming months to find best setup.

Motor mount and motor have an ace design where motor slips in and is held in place with one bolt, make adjustingt the mesh and removing motors quick and easy, no problems here....

Wing fitted.....
I must say I feel there will be need to have a spare wing mount in the box as its clear that this will take all the abuse,

Old 03-12-2011
Banned

Steering....

now this went together effortlessly and was silky smooth. but once completely hooked up its clear it needs some bedding in to free it all up, nothings binding just needs a bit of use....

im interested to see what difference a different lenght ankerman plate does as they are option parts.

and fitted...

Old 03-12-2011
Mad Member

Looks very very nice. Good Job Lip
Old 03-12-2011
Banned

There are a few niggles that I want to share with you all and tips to remember when building this kit, a couple of things that bug me but I will also mention these points when I get to posting them.

My shell has gone to mike parker number 5 designs today, used him twice before and he does a fantastic job cant wait to see it!
Old 03-12-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
Steering....

is sensor lead touching stering post?
Old 03-12-2011
Banned

The lead is now moved, thats not its final position as you will see in the next update.
Old 03-12-2011

be interesting to see how all the electrics fit. love the looks of the dex408 but im not fancying having the esc mounted high up.
Old 03-12-2011

(im interested to see what difference a different lenght ankerman plate does as they are option parts.)

In brief-Short ackerman is sharper and more steering, while long ackerman is smoother and less steering. But not only more or less steering, it's more or less at different points in a turn. A long ackerman has more mid corner and exit steering. A short ackerman enters the corner more aggressively, but can't hold the line as well, because the outside wheel turns less, and at that point has more weight on it, thus more traction.
Old 03-12-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
be interesting to see how all the electrics fit. love the looks of the dex408 but im not fancying having the esc mounted high up.
one of the reasons I went for the serpent, build quality of these kits is up there with the best.
Old 03-12-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
(im interested to see what difference a different lenght ankerman plate does as they are option parts.)

In brief-Short ackerman is sharper and more steering, while long ackerman is smoother and less steering. But not only more or less steering, it's more or less at different points in a turn. A long ackerman has more mid corner and exit steering. A short ackerman enters the corner more aggressively, but can't hold the line as well, because the outside wheel turns less, and at that point has more weight on it, thus more traction.
super thanks! I hear the #2 plate gives better results.
Old 04-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Whats the max hieght battery it will take or does the hinge assembly allow for shimming to gain hieght.
Old 04-12-2011
Banned

max height its 27mm I think, it allows me to fit the 6500mah sticks in but not much more.

as for transponder ive mounted it as per manual but Ive been advised of a very very handy hidden mount shown here needless to say mine will be moved to the same location.

Old 04-12-2011
Banned

Things that id suggest as I have forgotten a couple of points and any negatives...

1. shocks will need work to get them the way you want, ive said it before but im going to order webbed bladders, other springs and tapered pistons.

2. PT mount in manual say mount on side of servo, but see picture above...

3. when building the input gears dont forget the serperate sheet provided for the new method of shimming, when doing the front I realised id overlooked the sheet and forgot to shim the rear mesh the new way so now I have to pull it out at somepoint.

NEGATIVES.....

one that will really bug me is if you want to remove the center diff, or even just the diff cover, complete removal of the radio and electronics tray is needed. its only 3 more screws but its a ballache youd rather avoid.

but if thats the only downfall so far were onto a winner
Old 04-12-2011

Looking good.

How much did you end up paying for the kit in the end? Did you get stung for VAT and Import Tax?
Old 04-12-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4n View Post
Looking good.

How much did you end up paying for the kit in the end? Did you get stung for VAT and Import Tax?
Not sure completely yet as waiting for a second serpent to arrive but looking around £420.

I would have bought in Uk if id realised it was £435. and not £500