Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 05-09-2014

Default Currencies on TD website

Hi,

First of all, I'm a happy TD owner, and a huge fan, because TD took 1/10th scale to the next level in strength and durability.
Any driver of any brand should be thankful to TD because of that.

But I just noticed TD owners in US are even more lucky then here in Europe

Example:

DIFF. RING GEAR 42T (1pc) TD310004 by Team Durango

When selected United States:
$12.00

When selected Belgium:
15.99 euros
1 U.S. dollar = 0.772499034 Euros
then I get 20.96 dollars instead of 12 in US

When selected UK:
12.99 pounds
1 British pound = 1.63266 U.S. dollars
then I get 21.2 dollars instead of 12 in US

Anyone knows where this price difference is coming from?
Because when I order from US to Belgium, customs ask for about 25% import tax, but here the difference is over 40%
Am I missing something?

Last edited by Gonzo; 05-09-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2014

Default Lots of companies do this

Lots of companies do this, it is only since the WWW that it has became evident, most American products are priced as dollars for pounds in the uk, I can remember paying £600.00 for a helicopter that sold in the U.S for $600.00 when the exchange rate was 2: 1. so it should have been £300.00

I did hear that the Big Mac is a indicator of a countries economy now it can be brought world wide, check the price of one in Japan for instance. and why a lot of modellers buy direct from Hong Kong although the uk customers are starting to catch people for VAT and import duties.

Last edited by CARB; 09-12-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2014

It is a bit off, to buy the V2 chassis & side pods in the uk was about £50 whereas buying in the USA would cost me £32.28. So even if you allowed for VAT & some import duty we are still getting turned over by Durango.
Old 10-12-2014
Administrator

It's probably out of the hands of TD now guys - Revell Germany distribute in Europe and in the USA Hobbico (TD owners) likely set the price along with their huge shop Tower Hobbies.
There are a whole load of political reasons things in the USA are cheaper than elsewhere in the world.

Saying all that however - it's still bollocks that the prices can be so wildly different. I talked to an employee of Adobe the other day about the pricing of the Adobe 'Creative Cloud' suite. It's getting on for half price in the USA and there is no distributor, there is nothing like that - it's a digital download product. The Price here I can't afford, the price in the USA I could just about do - so she told me to basically find someone in the USA to pay for me and do it that way. Madness.

Rant over.
Old 10-12-2014

I don't think its an issue specific to Team Durango most items bought outside the uk can be found cheaper.

I imported a camera and lens and it was 1.5k cheaper than in the uk.

It always feels like we get the bum deal over here in the uk but all the prices are connected to that countrys financial setup I would presum.

Old 11-12-2014

I know a company that is in the euro zone and the sell products throughout the EU all in the euro through distributors and they have a different price list for each country, it is all based on how much they can get and how much the distributor gets in terms of discount. the days of a RRP has gone and who actually ever pays the full price nowadays, everything is discounted.
One of the only companies in the world that gets the full price for their product is Morgan, the secret is to not over produce so there is always a waiting list,
if you look into any of the manufactures on this site and check the prices I am sure you can find a price differential.
What is worse not being able to buy your parts or camera at a lower price from somewhere on the planet or being stuck with the same price everywhere.
Durango are not any different to any other modern company, they are in business to make money the fact that they do not manage their web site so the price list can not be viewed in different countries is a benefit and I think is very open and it makes full use of the WWW.

Last edited by CARB; 11-12-2014 at 08:33 PM.