Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 15-04-2014

Default motor burnout

I have recently put a 14t brushed motor in my Tamiya avante 2001 and it burnt out on the first run. I sent it back and got another, this too burnt out on its first run. I don't know why, the drive train is running as free as I can get it.

both times I was driving on hard pack sand/mud.

I run an Mtronics trident 12 esc, apparently able to go down to 12t brushed and use lipo 2S 4000mah core rc stick pack

any ideas please
Old 15-04-2014

If you're using the pinion that came with the kit, then the car is likely over-geared for a 14t motor. The kit pinion's are generally good for the silver can motor that comes with it (27t). You want to put on a smaller pinion, or use a larger spur gear to make it easier for the motor to push the car (a 14t motor will have quite a bit less torque than the silver can).

If when running, the motor is getting hot in 2-3 minutes, then that's a good sign that it's working too hard.
Old 17-04-2014

thanks for the reply, I was told to use a larger pinion which I queried but was assured this would be better so I put on a 21. I shall get another motor and try a smaller one. think i'll also try a double turn motor to gain more torque.