Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 13-10-2016

Default Save for a B6D or a new ESC?

I'm looking for some advice. Currently using a cheapie Trackstar 120A Turbo v1 ESC in my B5m lite. Not sure what I should be looking to invest in next if it should be change to a B6D or change the ESC. The existing car handles pretty well and seems fairly quick with a Reedy 6.5T. Im getting there with my driving. What should I look to do next - new car or ESC?

I drive a mixture of indoor mixed surface and outdoor. Im looking to gain an extra second a lap between both my driving and equipment upgrade. What gains do you think would be possible with car or esc change? Any advice or recommendations gladly received.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D
ae RC10 Team Car (original black tub version)
Sanwa - Reedy - Savox - Hobbywing - Centro - THR

If I have any stuff for sale you will find it here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncanglas...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 13-10-2016

I'd go with the new car. If the esc is working then I don't see why you'd want to change it.
Old 13-10-2016

B5m still a hugely good car

spend the money on tyres and then practise
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 13-10-2016

If the car is working well and in good condition and the ESC is the same, why change either? Parts and mods are still available for the B5M and it's a good speedo.

They'll always be other things needed...spares, wheels/tyres etc. Playing around with the set up might be more rewarding than get a new car straight away...
Old 13-10-2016

I'm just looking for a quick lazy way to gain time... Lol.. I know practice and setup will make most of the gain.. My esc has cut out a few times when I've taken a heavy landing. Not sure if this is a connection in my receiver or speed controller or a sensor wire problem. It was absolutely fine in the last meeting though. I've not been able to track down the fault yet. Am still keen to hear people's views if there is any time to be had on either of these upgrades...

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D

Old 13-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydevon View Post
B5m still a hugely good car

spend the money on tyres and then practise
Excactly this.

If the esc is playing up then change it, if not the trackstars I've driven are actually nice escs, so don't bother. There is better out there but doubt you'll see benefits on the clock.

6.5t for ,what I assume, is a novice driver is a bit excessive, you'll probably find if you tone your motor selection down you'll definitely more consistent and faster. 8.5t is plenty in a 2wd , especially with a touch of timing/turbo. If the tracks you go to aren't big or high grip (which by the fact you're thinking of a 6d makes me think they're not) then even a 10.5t

There is no substitute for practice I'm afraid, and to that extent although the b6d might be a better car, getting used to what you're driving and getting it setup right is going to pay dividends...

Practice, practice and more practice is the way I'm afraid.
Old 13-10-2016

I used to drive a RC10 team car back in the early 90s to national level. I drove for about 8years before that. I haven't driven at all until this season and not that often.. Definitely not a newbie to being able to handle a car although I'm still learning you can get on the power a lot quicker with these new cars, improving corner speed, learning how to take big jumps on some tracks and a few other differences .. Thumbs are slowly coming back and I know there is a minimum of 0.5seconds a lap from my driving to improve. I didn't do any national competitions this year as I'm more concentrating on my sons car, and trying to support club meetings with him, but we have done few of the bigger regional meetings up here.. I can handle a 6.5t no problem but I do think a 7.5t might be a better all round 2wd motor for me. I got the 6.5t because it was cheap! Im still working on my setups and weight distribution for different tracks but I know I'm not far off with this car..

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D

Last edited by oldschooldriver; 13-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 23-10-2016

Duncan

I had a B5m with a 6.5, went down to a decent 7.5 and saw an improvement in my times.

Worth considering what car your son runs too? If you're both B5m probably not worth changing until you can change both cars?

Re the electrics and cutting out, I'd try and isolate that first as it might be necessary to buy something if you find the fault is in the speedo?
Old 24-10-2016

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. What you say makes a lot of sense. I really would love a 7.5t as it would be a little more drivable and can work well on most tracks. I'll keep an eye out for a Reedy 7.5t when I have the money (I'm a Reedy FanBoi).

In regards to cars, I'm running a B5m lite and my son is running a Centro C4.2. It's almost certain that I will switch him first to a B6d. My car is fine, it's the driving and consistency that needs to improve.. Obviously, some things can make the car easier to drive fast, like a 7.5t, like a speed controller with a really good feel/resolution, like a good setup and also decent servo and radio gear. I think the kit I have either meets or is not far off suiting what I need. I would like eventually to run both the cars o the same platform..

With regards to the cutting out, I thought I had that sorted with a receiver change. Unfortunately, the problem reared Its ugly head again. I got a big whack square on the back of the car at the weekend. The cars steering was working, but the throttle did nothing for about 3seconds, and then continued working absolutely without issues. I think it is the speed controller as I have checked all the connections and I have swapped the sensor wire.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D

Old 25-10-2016

Any way for you to replicate the fault on the bench?

As you've got two cars would be worth swapping the motor out too just to make sure it isn't that...but only if you can replicate the fault of course.

Is your son the better driver or you? Personally I'd get the B6d for whoever is quicker/more consistent, the B5mCE for the other...but then I'm not a dad and you might well just be being a super dad and giving the boy the better car! : )

One more thought; people who can solve the ESC fault won't be reading this thread due to the title...why not post the ESC fault/specifics to the electrics forum and see what comes back? Couple of people on here who can repair them too.

Do you have low voltage cut off switched on? I'm sure I've read somewhere about big impacts causing this to trigger momentarily on some ESC's? Post it in electrics mate : )
Old 03-11-2016

I can replicate the fault on the bench giving it a big whack. I don't like doing it though. Ive swapped everything over that I can. Not sure a sub £40 ESC is worth repairing, unless it's a simple thing. Fingers crossed it's to do with the voltage cut-off that I have switched on.

On the subject of cars, I'd rather see my son with the better car first. I'm the quicker driver at the moment. He is only 5 and already beating some adults, and I think it won't be long till he is beating me!

Thread posted on the electrics, just about the ESC.

Thanks Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Any way for you to replicate the fault on the bench?

As you've got two cars would be worth swapping the motor out too just to make sure it isn't that...but only if you can replicate the fault of course.

Is your son the better driver or you? Personally I'd get the B6d for whoever is quicker/more consistent, the B5mCE for the other...but then I'm not a dad and you might well just be being a super dad and giving the boy the better car! : )

One more thought; people who can solve the ESC fault won't be reading this thread due to the title...why not post the ESC fault/specifics to the electrics forum and see what comes back? Couple of people on here who can repair them too.

Do you have low voltage cut off switched on? I'm sure I've read somewhere about big impacts causing this to trigger momentarily on some ESC's? Post it in electrics mate : )

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D