Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-05-2013

Post TRF511 Upgrade Set (#84315) Parts Availability

Update 02 April
So to save others some time I thought I'd summarise my findings having spent a little time on web and phone looking into this.

Problem
I needed individual kit parts from the TRF511 Upgrade Set (#84315), belts and pulleys in my case however this adventure applies to all 1 vehicle parts in the kit (i.e all the bits for this kit alone).

Findings
They're not available from Tamiya Japan. There's no indication that they will be made available in the future but you'd hope it was likely. There has been no mention of a future release which probably means that if they do come it will be August or later.

Apparently there have been similar occurrences in the TC world with the ball diff pulleys being a culprit there too.

On that note it does appear as if the TA06 ball diff pulley (39T) will fit but neither is that available as a single part from Tamiya. The 37T pulley as an individual part evidently arrived some ten or more months after the full assembly!

As a consequence there is an aftermarket for TC pulleys in Japan (and elsewhere I suppose) because apparently the drift guys eat through them, I have no idea.

Reading around (mostly Japanese sites) these are a credible replacement:

Link: Eagle Racing 39T Delrin TA06 Solid/Ball Diff Pulley (DP01-39T)

I can't personally recommend these yet, I've ordered a handful because they're inexpensive and will report back when I get them (and sell some if they're okay).

If you need a new belt, chassis, diff joints, or any of the alloy bits from the set as individual parts then you're stuffed for the time being.

Conclusion
I purchased a handful of aftermarket pulleys (see above) and also a NIP Upgrade Set (thanks Kennith). I'd hate to need another complete set when they're out of stock again and who knows if there'll be another run.

Hey, they may just be withholding individual spares for suckers like me but it's a PITA!

Hope that helps someone,

Dave

--- Original Message ---

Hi there,

I need new pulleys and belts for my 511 w/upgrade kit, has anybody had success sourcing them? (Warning: don't use aftermarket diff covers with the 39T pulleys, insufficient clearance if something does get in).

I've tried my usual TRF stockist in Germany and they say the part numbers (8 digit from the Upgrade Kit manual) are not listed on the Tamiya Japan dealers site. They've never had a problem supplying me hard-to-find TRF parts in the past.

It's a pretty useless upgrade it we can't get spares. I'm on the verge of buying another complete kit just to secure the parts which would sort-of suck.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Last edited by djmcnz; 02-05-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Updated with findings
Old 01-05-2013

Same as me: I want a spare of the new and big Axle Washer (#19804655) included in the 502X upgrade kit (#84310) but it is imposible to find it...
Old 01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by taomo View Post
Same as me: I want a spare of the new and big Axle Washer (#19804655) included in the 502X upgrade kit (#84310) but it is imposible to find it...
54488 TRF201 Large Rear Axle washer (2 Pcs.)
Old 01-05-2013

Can we use '54305 TA06 Front Ball Diff Set - 39T' (or rather the pulley from it) on the 511.1 does anyone know?

If so, is there a part number for the pulley alone?

Any suggestions on belts?
Old 02-05-2013

Will the 369mm belts fit the larger 39 pulleys on the loosest setting on the cams?
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz View Post
Hi there,

I need new pulleys and belts for my 511 w/upgrade kit, has anybody had success sourcing them? (Warning: don't use aftermarket diff covers with the 39T pulleys, insufficient clearance if something does get in).

I've tried my usual TRF stockist in Germany and they say the part numbers (8 digit from the Upgrade Kit manual) are not listed on the Tamiya Japan dealers site. They've never had a problem supplying me hard-to-find TRF parts in the past.

It's a pretty useless upgrade it we can't get spares. I'm on the verge of buying another complete kit just to secure the parts which would sort-of suck.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
I have a NIB upgrade kit if you need it.
PM me if you want it. I'm sure we can agree on a price.

The pulley should be the same as in the TA06 front ball diff though.
Old 02-05-2013
Mad Member

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/

German Tamiya webshop, who has pretty much everything and also sells pretty much everything seperately, things like the WO Universal Shaft cross joint parts (which is really nice as those shafts have an off diameter) and rear axle washers. It's not the cheapest store but to be fair Rene Seidel does have everything Tamiya you might need and postage has always been pretty quick in my experience (to the Netherlands, though to the UK can't take much longer). Only downside are postage costs, it's a flat rate, regardless whether you order one washer or a whole kit.

The 19804655 axle washer is currently sold out, I'd just contact him and ask him about it
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
Will the 369mm belts fit the larger 39 pulleys on the loosest setting on the cams?
Not sure actually, might be a 'last resort' option. If I try it I'll let everyone know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
I have a NIB upgrade kit if you need it.
PM me if you want it. I'm sure we can agree on a price.

The pulley should be the same as in the TA06 front ball diff though.
Thank you, can't seem to find the TA06 pulley by itself at the moment. Will spend some more time on it today, thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/

German Tamiya webshop...
Yep, that's who I use and they're really reliable. So when they tell me they checked the Tamiya Japan dealer site and found nothing I tend to believe them and this concerns me...
Old 02-05-2013

So I found these:

https://eagleonlineshop.com/eaglesho...px?id=DP01-39T

My ability to translate Japanese is limited to Google and it's a little ambiguous as to whether it will work with the ball diff. Looks like it should though and they're not too expensive.

Apparently this problem has affected the touring car crowd for quite some time so I'm not expecting it to change quickly.

I still need a new kit if I want new belts!
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
54488 TRF201 Large Rear Axle washer (2 Pcs.)
This could be what I want, thanks!
Old 18-05-2013

Did you see this on ebay? Expensive, but kinda cool...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-TA05-...-/251173076944

Old 18-05-2013

Yes, I did actually but only after I'd picked the the Eagle ones. Looks heavy to me... and I wonder about overall wear on the other diff components. Don't know myself.

As I said I picked up the Eagle ones and they've arrived, direct from Eagle in Japan. They even sent me a picture of the package and label before they sent it! Mind you shipping wasn't cheap so I averaged it out over a few.

The quality seems fine, they're a little bit harder than the Tamiya ones and the teeth have a flatter, wider peak but the mesh to belt is perfect.

We'll see how they go.
Old 18-05-2013

Those look good. Hope to have them in my DB01 some day. Are you still using the old style cap screw & plastic nut holder?

BTW: I had a friend measure inner diameter of the older 37T pulleys and it seems they will work fine with these new rings & outdrives. ID of the 37T pulley is 28.30mm and you said the rings are 26.5mm OD.
Old 18-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
Those look good. Hope to have them in my DB01 some day. Are you still using the old style cap screw & plastic nut holder?

BTW: I had a friend measure inner diameter of the older 37T pulleys and it seems they will work fine with these new rings & outdrives. ID of the 37T pulley is 28.30mm and you said the rings are 26.5mm OD.
Yes, I'd expect them to fit (TA06 guys interchange 37/39T bits), that's good news. Although it seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for keyed diff rings.... (which is the only benefit I can see)?

And yep, I still using the stock cap screw and plastic holder. Never had a problem with either actually. What are the alternatives? I know you can get an alu nut holder but I've never had the need. And I think the cap screw is fine unless you over-tighten the diff. The thrust bearing should go really before those bits and that is something I'd consider upgrading...

Oh la la:

Old 18-05-2013

I have yet to upgrade my DB01 diffs, so I'm just holding out for the latest & greatest. I'm also hoping the price will be better than the 501x version (probably not)
Old 27-06-2013

If your looking for Belts these come highly recommended and in many different sizes to suit what ever car they are needed for

http://www.tetsujin.biz/32.html
Old 02-08-2013

Belt are have from tamiya not sure of the part number but a mate of mine just ordered six
Old 19-08-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
If your looking for Belts these come highly recommended and in many different sizes to suit what ever car they are needed for

http://www.tetsujin.biz/32.html

What size or part number are the belts for he upgrade kit from that store?
Old 20-08-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Help

Belt part numbers for the upgrade kit, or alternatives?

Please
Old 21-08-2013

The belts are 372mm 124 tooth count, just one more tooth than the older 369mm belts. The part # is 16248001, problem is this part # is not listed and does not appear to be available as of yet! I also checked that site for belts, they do not currently carry a size that we would require. I haven't found any other belt of the right size from any other RC manufacturer yet either! It's looking like Tamiya will be releasing another version of the 511 maybe after the Worlds, whether or not this newer version with updates like Big Bores, etc. will become available and use the newer 372mm belts remains to be seen. If it does become available, maybe these new belts will become available. Also interested to see if the New not yet released DB01RR will use the larger 39 tooth pulleys and 372mm belts! If so then they should start becoming available. Other than that, I have no idea where or when you can purchase the 372mm belts, other than contacting a belt manufacturer and special ordering them in quantity.