Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-07-2012
Mad Member

Default YoKoMo YZ-10 '94 rebuilds

Hi ppl,

You may recall my recent thread where I posted a pair of YZ-10 '94s that I bagged second hand (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98229)

Looking back, they were in a bit of a state.

I haven't posted a complete step-by-step rebuild, but snapshots of my progress throughout which has spanned a few months. Overall, I've really enjoyed doing this although some parts were tricky as the manual I had was difficult to read. I can't wait to take them out for a little spin!

Before going onto the pics, I'd like to thank the following peeps for helping me out (in no particular order):

Jamie
Steve (Pugs)
YunFei (llyf)
Ken (Cobra)
Lee (Ralphlee)
Mick (Moozo)
Steven (Fibrelyte)
John (JC Racing)

On with the pics....apologies if a few look a bit blurry! Enjoy!

1. This was better of the two rollers. You can see the coatings on the upper deck posts and magnesium motor mount. I used some iron wool, wet and dry and some polish to clean up these bits. Rear shocks were a joke! Adhesive residues are also seen.

2. This motor mount was coated in a layer thick like icing on a birthday cake. Some good 'ole elbow grease sorted this!

3. Some screws were literally screwed! This one from a FRP top deck was tough to remove.

4. Rust as expected. Most driveshafts needed a good clean!

5. Some bearings needed clear replacing. This one from a diff outdrive just fell apart!

6. One of two TCS hop-ups that came with the rollers. It took me some time to realise these were not installed the correct way! Looked at the Works '93 manual to sort this out. Spurs were obviously replaced!

7. Rebuild of the first roller!

8. Few pics of the second roller rebuild!

9. End result with the first roller - a vintage setup to go! I'll probably keep this as a "shelfer" with the odd run (like that nice sports car you only take out on the weekend!). What new features I have installed?

a. 90% stainless steel screws.
b. Full carbon setup including chassis, top deck, shock towers and battery plates.
c. v1 Associated shocks front and rear.
d. Team Suzuki's front 5 degree alloy front hubs and wheel adaptors all around.
e. New set of YZ-10 rims with Louise E-Duke tyre set.
f. Electrics: Tekin 610 ESC, Futaba 9001 servo, Trinity D3 14 x2, Ko Propo 297FZ receiver.

10. TCS kit sorted! For both rollers I replaced the spur gear with 81T and 84T Kimbrough.

11. Looking complete with the Sanyo SCRCs!

12. The second roller. This one I'll probably run.

a. 90% stainless steel screws.
b. Full carbon setup, except battery plates which I've left as FRP. Rear shock tower carbon brace and carbon steering linkage (like on '95 Pavidis?)
c. v2 Associated threaded shocks front and rear.
d. Team Suzuki 5 degree front hubs.
e. New set of YZ10 rims with Schuey mini-spikes.
f. Electrics: Hara Twister 2 ESC, Trinity 11T x2, Futaba S143 servo, Futaba 40mhz FM micro receiver.

13. Almost ready to go with Batt 4000 cells...However, still need a few more bits to complete - front bumper, wing mounts and undertray. Got a wing that needs cutting out.

14. The pair...

Old 02-07-2012

Nice - great job on the refurbishment of both cars, you've really turned them around! Have fun running them!

P.S; whereabout did you get your shell - is it one of Ken's?
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Thanks Dan!

I think it was ken or Dave? Goes by the name of cobra on oople
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Great job, you worked your butt off on these, and it shows, two lookers for sure!
Try get those Tekin's on the bottom deck though, they should squeeze in?
Ive just fitted a 410 M5 Novak into mine and it was tight, but it got down there.
Are you painting the shells yourself? I pondered it, but i lack the time to do a good job nowadays, so im looking for somebody to do me a Masami, just to be different eh lol.

lee
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Thanks again Lee...you helped me to complete aswell!

I will try and get those speedos down below...I won't be painting the shells myself...not too good!

That Tekin 410 is a famous speedo...it must have been tight to get onto the chassis as its quite big!
Old 02-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
Thanks Dan!

I think it was ken or Dave? Goes by the name of cobra on oople
Yes - Ken Reith is 'Cobra' on here

I have one of his shells too - but unfortunately it looks like I won't be using it... I ended up using one of MrLexan's (over on RC10Talk) instead, i'm sure that Ken wouldn't mind me saying that Jay's (MrLexan) shell is a crisper re-production (hence way I used it for my shelfer YZ-10) but for a runner car Ken's shell would my 1st choice as it sure feels more durable with the thick Lexan that it has been produced from
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Yeah i think i had a 410 in a Traxxas TRX3 way back, punchy!

lee
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Yeah...mines really as a runner shell.

I already have a decorated original YZ-10 shell...too fragile though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Yes - Ken Reith is 'Cobra' on here

I have one of his shells too - but unfortunately it looks like I won't be using it... I ended up using one of MrLexan's (over on RC10Talk) instead, i'm sure that Ken wouldn't mind me saying that Jay's (MrLexan) shell is a crisper re-production (hence way I used it for my shelfer YZ-10) but for a runner car Ken's shell would my 1st choice as it sure feels more durable with the thick Lexan that it has been produced from
Old 02-07-2012
Mad Member

Looking forward to seeing your installation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Yeah i think i had a 410 in a Traxxas TRX3 way back, punchy!

lee
Old 01-08-2012

Wow, those pictures gave a good flashback to the glory days, i still race, but not on a competitive level anymore, but what a car the -94 were, came originally without slipperclutch, i took mine from the -93 works, and moved to the -94, great car. keep it up, great work
Old 01-08-2012
Mad Member

Hi Kiixx..

Thank you for your comments. I am yet to finish a few things with both cars but they are almost there!

I never had come across the Yz10 series until recently. Never raced one, but my fascination with Yokomo has led me to restore these! They look awesome and look better than the pics can do justice.

Yes, both of mine came with TCS hop-up which I had to fiddle with.

Do you have your YZ10 still? If so, I'd love the see it! I have a few more special yokomo restores coming up soon.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiixx View Post
Wow, those pictures gave a good flashback to the glory days, i still race, but not on a competitive level anymore, but what a car the -94 were, came originally without slipperclutch, i took mine from the -93 works, and moved to the -94, great car. keep it up, great work