Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

View Poll Results: What should we do to keep the kids safe and keep them racing
Nothing leave it as it is 5 15.15%
Own heat but not exempt them from marshalling 7 21.21%
Own heat,exempt from marshalling and Marshall their heat with volunteers 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-03-2011
Mad Member

I am nowhere near Bury but my boy who is turning 8 in May has been racing for 3 years so I'll ad my 2 cents. At first the 10th cars worried me a bit in terms of his safety so we switched to 1/18th scale cars and that is what we are doing now mostly. They are still bloody fast but weigh half of a 10th buggy and much safer for kids and adults.

We both have new 10th cars and he has been doing a bit of marshalling at Ardent and a couple of other places (and has had a full on hit on the ankle as well!) but he still likes doing it and is getting better at it. Better than some lazy arse adults I have seen.

I feel it is important to let kids marshal. They need to learn that it's part of the game. I always make very sure he is at the safest possible marshal point and have never had an adult refuse to swap with him. It is also important for the dads to take responsibility and stand there and marshal with them as appropriate.

I think a kids only heat does work in terms of racing. Whatever the kids age doesn't matter, you will soon see he is ready for the faster heats. We have had those at Wycombe indoors and it worked very well but you still have them marshalling the next heat.
Old 21-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm certainly thinking a Junior Trophy is a good idea. Won't be expensive and might encourage some new blood.
Also makes sense to declare the novice heat as a separate and open class, allowing 2 and 4wd cars together even when the main heats are split.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 21-03-2011
Banned

Some sort of win the trophy and bring it back next week system would be great i think they would really like that!
Old 21-03-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
How old is Adam??
I'm refering to children as young as 6 with very low ability and they are very small indeed. When the kids ability is better then move them up but I think they should be at least 10 before joining the adults

Buds
Adam is 10
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Adam is 10
Prime example Adam is 10 raced for 3 years has track awareness he would not be in the beginner class unless you his father wanted him to be the club isn't responsible for his safety his father is

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 22-03-2011

I think having a heat for the youngsters is an absolutely sound idea

It's a good way of introducing them into racing against others of a similar age and ability, and then gradually build it up from there as they gain more experience

It's something which has been introduced at my local and with the help of volunteers for marshalling it works really well.
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Prime example Adam is 10 raced for 3 years has track awareness he would not be in the beginner class unless you his father wanted him to be the club isn't responsible for his safety his father is

Buds
I think that as Bury is BRCA you are not allowed to let under 10 or 11's marshal (I cant remember exactly) as the insurance will not cover them.

I remember something on the dreary rc racechat forum about it all ages ago.
Old 22-03-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:

Buds
You've got mixed up, he's only done 7 or 8 meetings
Old 22-03-2011

Default Numbers

It's all down to numbers as Sunday proved.
If I had split them up you would not have had as many rounds of racing.
The heats are always sorted by ability where possible. (Martin and Billy, your ability rating has been improved)
Safe marshaling positions and supervision/instruction should always be the norm.
HIGH VIS VESTS WILL BE WORN IN FUTURE

The new layout at the new track means the race controller will not be able to see all that is going on so it is down to everyone to help out. Don't just run to the race controller, go to the offender, NICELY

Also Fan of "Shepherd Neame"
Old 22-03-2011

Default The Handbook 2011

This is aimed at Nationals but rules are rules. Like the man says we are BRCA.

16. MARSHALLING REQUIREMENTS
16.1 Drivers will be expected to marshal during the race event. Failure to agree to this request, will be
deemed as a voluntary withdrawal of that driver‟s entry from the event. Having agreed to perform
marshalling duties, drivers can incur marshalling penalties.
16.2 Penalties will be applied by the Referees for poor marshalling, late marshalling or failure to marshal,
as detailed in Rules 17.10, 17.11 and 17.12. Late marshalling is clarified as being any marshal not at the
correct position when the first car leaves the Start line or Final grid (unless otherwise instructed by
officials). Failure to marshal is clarified as being any marshal not at the correct position within one lap of
the final car circulating. (unless otherwise instructed by officials).
16.3 A substitute marshal is allowed, providing that the substitute is a BRCA member, that they fulfil the
marshalling duties adequately and that a Race Control Official has given permission. At National events,
only drivers competing in the event are allowed to marshal Heats and Finals. (This does not include
marshals supplied by the host Club to cover unfulfilled places). The driver will be subject to any penalties
incurred by their substitute marshal.
16.4 Only drivers who marshal the correct final will score points in that round of the respective
Championship unless specific permission is given by the Race Director.
16.5 Marshals must have their hands free at all times.
16.6 Marshals must wear safe and sensible footwear that will not become detached when performing
marshalling duties. (Open toed shoes or sandals are not acceptable).
16.7 Marshals must remain at their posts until replaced.
16.8 At National Championship events, it is not mandatory to marshal practice sessions

Also Fan of "Shepherd Neame"
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The race controller View Post
The heats are always sorted by ability where possible. (Martin and Billy, your ability rating has been improved)
Safe marshaling positions and supervision/instruction should always be the norm.

The new layout at the new track means the race controller will not be able to see all that is going on so it is down to everyone to help out. Don't just run to the race controller, go to the offender, NICELY
So we would have had 4 or 5 rounds instead of 6 so what? As for your hi vis threat good idea I think we have tried before and I for one don't have a problem with just like I wouldn't have a problem volunteering to Marshall the kids either!!
The poll speaks for its self Roger

Dave

Old 22-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The race controller View Post

I personally did not have a problem racing in the bottom heat on sunday it was a laugh me and billy had a bit of fun which is what its all about at the end of the day.
I think it might be a bit hard to just run a kids heat there was only three there on sunday and one was old enough to marshall proper you need at least six regular kids to even think about it.
The other thing is if you start imposing to many rules and regulations for kids on club days which are meant to be fun then you will just end up pushing people away if people really want take the racing serious then do nationals and regionals etc club days should be fun days out in my eyes
we all have a good crack and a laugh at bury so we should keep it that way and may be just get volunteers to cover for the kids marshaling to keep them safe
Old 22-03-2011

at the end of the day its all in the name of fun. BUT for those of us who take this a bit serious and spend a lot of money and time on it we wont to make sure its worth doing. so i vote in favor of their own heat and people volunteer to Marshall. i will supply the high vis vests. i can get 6 if more is needed someone else can chip in. will bring them with me on the next meeting when ever that will be

Rob
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10fan View Post
at the end of the day its all in the name of fun. BUT for those of us who take this a bit serious and spend a lot of money and time on it we wont to make sure its worth doing. so i vote in favor of their own heat and people volunteer to Marshall. i will supply the high vis vests. i can get 6 if more is needed someone else can chip in. will bring them with me on the next meeting when ever that will be

Rob
I can supply some hi viz jackets aswell but only in adult sizes!!

Old 22-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I can supply some hi viz jackets aswell but only in tent sizes!!
Corrected it for you there Buds.....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
I think that as Bury is BRCA you are not allowed to let under 10 or 11's marshal (I cant remember exactly) as the insurance will not cover them.

I remember something on the dreary rc racechat forum about it all ages ago.
I would advise you contact the BRCA directly to clarify your post above, or dismiss it.

If you are correct then fair enough, but if not you could confuse a lot of fathers and mothers.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 22-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

You cannot allow kids not to marshal. Simple as that. What do you do when they turn 10 (or whatever ago is decided) and it's their turn to marshal for the first time? Fair enough, they have a bit more common sense, but still have no idea about how to quickly and effectively turn a car back onto it's wheels.
If they're old enough to race, they're old enough to marshal. Just put hem at a quiet location. Everyone's got to start somewhere!
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
I would advise you contact the BRCA directly to clarify your post above, or dismiss it.

If you are correct then fair enough, but if not you could confuse a lot of fathers and mothers.
Turd!!!!

Last edited by woOdy; 23-03-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 23-03-2011

I was just happy I was overtaking people in my race Martin!! even if they were 10 and below ha ha and Martin I know your lad was trying to take me out in the race good plan buddy
Old 24-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I was just happy I was overtaking people in my race Martin!! even if they were 10 and below ha ha and Martin I know your lad was trying to take me out in the race good plan buddy
The only problem was the plan did not work he took me out more than you