Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 29-09-2014

Default Short course tyres

Hi I'm new short course racing what are the best tyres in the wet/dry best make to use ?? If any can help thanks ps I have a durango 210 desc if that helps!!
Old 29-09-2014

i run on astro, dry i run worn yellow mini pins up front, and koursekings rear, damp/ wet i switch the mini pins to silver mini spikes,
i have tried various combos but thats what works best for me and my style of driving
Old 30-09-2014

The main problem you will have is how your car is set up to you..I've tried recommended tyre combo's and it just didn't work,you need to get a basic set up then work through how and what works..I use Schumacher yellow mini spikes on the back and associated std fronts but I've also tried the rate Durango fronts and aka enduro fronts I've tried morse Kings on the back and found them very skittish but it's all down to the conditions and setup..your best going to a meeting with some tyres and running your car and see if anyone is selling some 2nd hand wheels and tyres to suit you car
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 30-09-2014

For a 2wd SC, my default choice for a new truck/track on astro is kourse king t1 fronts with two outer and two inner rows trimmed off, and mini spike yellows rear with one outer row trimmed off.
My driving style prefers a planted truck, and that combo when the truck is setup something like works on 99% of cases.
Saying that a minipin style rear tyre can work very well in the dry, esp if the pile is shorter, but although faster they can be less forgiving.
I only use kourse kings on the rear on v.high grip tracks, although traction wise they are ok, their side bite isn't as good as schueys and can make the rear feel loose on a 2ws. V.good on 4wd though...
What is the truck doing that you don't wants it to, if there is fundamental setup issues, then tyres will help, but will not get it 100%.
Old 30-09-2014
Mad Member

Team 36 - What track will you be racing it?

At Mendip R/C Raceway we run the Schumacher Yellow Spike on the rear and then the kit tyre on the front. I've had the same set on my car for about 10-12 meetings?! The kit tyres on the front don't wear at all and after all that running I could do with some new rears in a few meetings time

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 30-09-2014

Thanks for the advice guys the main track I will be racing is tiverton which is grass/ astro and at mendip next season hope to do some winter racing at mendip if they any racing also hoping to do the national short course championship next season !!
Old 30-09-2014

Sorry to hijack but what would be a suitable tyre for Tarmac?

Cold and damp tarmac if that helps
Old 30-09-2014

If you plan to run at Mendip then as Dan says .. Schumacher yellow spikes out back and stock tyres up front are hard to beat ...

If its wet or damp, then Dboot Multi spike in A compound give a little more rear grip and can be run thru damp to dry without any signs of wear ..

Same goes for Tivvy really although the truck will have a little understeer ..

.. and BTW .. Mendip run trucks all year round !!
Old 30-09-2014

Hi Mr essesx id imagine wrn mimi pin yellows would be awesome for the colchester winter series yes.