Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 14-04-2009

Default Aircraft Brushless motors a go go ?

Dudes does anyone know if a brushless motor from an RC plane will work in a buggy ? It seems the choice for dedicated buggy motors are limited. Im sure that i read somewhere in the past that NEU motors where from aircraft, if so im guessing any airplane motor will work... Been looking at some turnigy brushless motors that look just the trick but does anyone know ?
Jimmi.....
WWW.JAMESPRICEMOTORCYCLES.CO.UK
Old 15-04-2009

The main difference would be the kv's available,
you could look at motors designed for ducted fans
another company is similar to neu is lehner(from germany)but you will end up paying a premium for these aswell.
Old 15-04-2009

It depends on their quality, and as mac says, the KV, and the size (which helps determine torque).

If they are low quality, mass produced ones then the torque probably won't be enough to keep up with the demands of an 1/8 buggy/truggy.

Look at motors for Heli's as they need more torque - an Align 600XL isn't too bad.

The best motors are Neus, the Castle Motors (also Neus), Hacker motors and Lehners.
Old 15-04-2009

Default Align 600XL

just be carefull if you go for the Align 600XL as some of the earlya models had a tendency to of the shafts snapping off
Old 16-04-2009

It's unlikely any of the earlier models are left on sale by now, just get one with 5mm shaft diameter and you're fine, probably.
Old 16-04-2009

Thanks for the replies fellas but as my last 8th brushless conversion (Novak HV & 4.5t Combo into an Xray XT8) lasted 1/2 a lap before bursting into flames i have decided to air on the side of caution. Maybe an aircraft motor would of worked but i didnt want to risk it.
Ive went for a 1700kv losi motor run by a Mamba V3. Im going 6s 5000mah lipos so im hoping the high volts through the lower kv motor should be great. Im after good performance and 20 mins runtime. Ill let you know how i get on.......
WWW.JAMESPRICEMOTORCYCLES.CO.UK
Old 16-04-2009
Woop Woop Member

have tried to helli motors. they worked fine but were torquey motors so had no top speed so wernt really right for the aplication. have had experience of the mamba motors and also mr helliwells neu motor. both worked faultlessly through neo and took lots of abuse

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 16-04-2009

As Nathan says, they are torquey motors, so the gearing must be changed, though you could also use a higher voltage Lipo (I know some people who are using about 1100kV motors with 22.2V) to counter this too.

It is a lot easier to go with the car motors though, although Neu's, Hackers, Lehners etc are all originally Heli/Plane motors anyway. Even the Castle Neu's are based on the original Neu motors, so are really heli/plane motors.
Old 28-04-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiprice View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas but as my last 8th brushless conversion (Novak HV & 4.5t Combo into an Xray XT8) lasted 1/2 a lap before bursting into flames i have decided to air on the side of caution. Maybe an aircraft motor would of worked but i didnt want to risk it.
Ive went for a 1700kv losi motor run by a Mamba V3. Im going 6s 5000mah lipos so im hoping the high volts through the lower kv motor should be great. Im after good performance and 20 mins runtime. Ill let you know how i get on.......
Interesting info on the Novak
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 04-05-2009
Mad Member

If the KV rating on a motor is higher does that mean more or less power?

Thanks
Paul
Old 04-05-2009

Send a message via MSN to electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUpton View Post
If the KV rating on a motor is higher does that mean more or less power?

Thanks
Paul
more power but more amps being drawn through your esc and out of your battery
Brushless CRT - Mamba monster - Neu motor - RCPD conversion kit {for sale}
Ebay items : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/terzo53
Old 04-05-2009
Mad Member

Thanks, ive got a Novak 5.5t HV which is 3100kv, is pretty quick, but broke the rota on it and have ordered one from the states but has been over and month and not received it yet, so looking at other possibilitys!

Paul
Old 04-05-2009

Overall, higher kV = higher revs but lower torque than lower kV motors. That's why crawlers use 21.5T motors which have loads of torque but no revs.
Old 04-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Overall, higher kV = higher revs but lower torque than lower kV motors. That's why crawlers use 21.5T motors which have loads of torque but no revs.
It takes of like a rocket, but seems to lack on top speed!!

Am looking at a Speed Passion 5.5t silver arrow motor to go in it!!

Paul
Old 05-05-2009

It's gearing that controls overall speed and acceleration. A high kV motor geared down is theoretically going to be very similar to a low kV motor geared up. A lower kV motor will have more torque (turning power) than one of high kV.

Also, the Speed Passion motor is likely to be very similar in construction to the Novak, so will probably suffer a similar fate to the Novak you have. That's why people pay stupid money for Neu motors (about £150-200) as they have far better rotors which don't break up. This has always been a problem with the cheaper motors (especially the Feigao based ones - like Speed Passion and LRP), which also get quite very hot.
Old 20-07-2010

KV ratings have very little to do with power. The only reason a low Kv motor has more torque is because you run it on higher voltages. Watts determine the power of your setup (volts * amps) and also gearing.

A high kv motor on lower voltages will pull more amps than a low kv motor on higher voltages.
Old 20-07-2010

i have this in a losi 8

SPECIFICATION

• Stator Diameter: 30.0 mm (1.181 in)
  • Stator Thickness: 26.0 mm (1.024 in)
  • No. of Stator Arms: 12
  • No. of Magnet Poles: 8
  • Motor Wind: 6 Turn Delta
  • Motor Wire: 24-Strand 0.25mm
  • Motor Kv: 1400 RPM / Volt
  • No-Load Current (Io/10V): 3.33 Amps
  • Motor Resistance (Rm): 0.010 Ohms
  • Max Continuous Current: 80 Amps
  • Max Continuous Power : 1680 Watts
  • Weight: 199 Grams (7.02 oz)
  • Outside Diameter: 37.5 mm (1.476 in)
  • Shaft Diameter: 4.98 mm (0.196 in)
  • Body Length: 48.4 mm (1.906 in)
  • Overall Shaft Length: 74.2 mm (2.921 in)
  • Max Lipo Cell: 6s

• 1 x Scorpion Outrunner Brushless Motor HK30 Series 22.2V 1400Kv (HK3026-1400KV)

it is quite small, is very smooth and has very good torque but as is said earlier needs to be geared up to get good speed. i am on 22.2V, using a 15 tooth pinion on it, giving a similar top speed and acceleration as my nitro 1/8 (losi 8 w caster grenade 5 port) and really good driveability with none of the heroics of having too much power. the local track is quite small for an 1/8 so it suits it fine. when i can afford to i will probably get a proper motor, but for now and at a price of £54 it does the trick
Old 20-07-2010
Banned

what pinion gear would you use with 2045kv and 1900kv 2200kv and 2650kv the spur gear is a 68t but for the 1900kv and 2045 i got a 54t spur for these 2 motor what pinion gears would you buy as they cost alot
Old 21-07-2010

Dodgydiy,

I had the 1600kv version in my Trex 500 heli, very nice motors and the 1400kv is the most powerful but the most power hungry. The bearings also require frequent lubrication. Hyperion do there own version of the Scorpion motors for the same price but the bearings are better quality.

I think a good motor to go for on 6s would be the Align 600M motor 1220kv, although it would be better suited to a truggy as it is a big motor.
Old 21-07-2010
Banned

anybody know about gearing some motor plz