Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 24-08-2015

Default Sky toro 1s esc?

Been thinking of getting a sky toro 1s esc for my zen.has anyone experienced this esc? Are there any known probs with it thanx
Old 24-08-2015

Hey buddy
As you probably know there is one for sale, which I am selling on the For Sale section...
Has run like clockwork ever since I had it, reason for me changing is, I have spent out on every other new possible but of kit on my Zen so I thought I would do the only thing left which is my speedo.

If that makes sense... All the gear, no idea me! Haha.

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 10-09-2015

Question bluetooth module for toro 1s

So i have recently purchased a Toro 1s with a Bluetooth module. I am having trouble getting the Speedo to connect to the app.

The Bluetooth module is connecting to my phone but the app cannot find the Speedo.

I am running the latest version of Android and have downloaded the app from the Google Play store... Just wondering if any one has any tips or tricks for getting the Speedo to be seen by the app..

Thanks in advance
Martin
Old 10-09-2015

Hi Martin.s
Cant help with the bluetooth module but what i will say is get the setup box.

It does more than just adjust your speedo, and you cant beat a hard wired system in my opinion, plug in adj and away you go, no faffing around with bluetooth or w/less hoping you got a signal......

HTH's
Shiny.
Old 10-09-2015

I had a G-force (same thing, different label) and it worked well. Easy to set up and well made. The only issue I had was the program box required an immediate update to the firmware when I received it, so be prepared to do something similar. Worth checking if you're having trouble with your bluetooth too. Seemed to recall the update software from the website only liked working on Win 7, though I'm sure that's been resolved since I bought mine.
Old 10-09-2015
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

I've been running the Toro 120A 1s in my GT12 and been mighty impressed with it so far. I've found it really easy to program with the box (SK-300046-01)

Kev
Old 14-09-2015

Just bought one of these and without any kind of programming kit like the SkyLink, is there a way to set it for 'blinky' mode? Seems the default setting is something else as I get a solid red light in neutral.

TIA
Derek
Old 16-09-2015

Well I think I've answered my own question now and the answer is "no, you have to buy some kind of programming device!

Having now bought a Skylink and set 'Zero Timing Mode', blinky is now working. However, it doesn't disable all the settings, so I'm guessing I can still 'tweak' things but just not change the timing?

So, can anyone tell me or point me to some info that explains these settings and when I would use them?

Old 17-09-2015

In 'blinky' mode any timing and turbo settings are switched off as indicated by the screen shot but you can play with any other settings like braking force, brag brake, throttle curve etc, these settings are about driveability and not direct performance enhancers.

The only means of boosting performance is the static timing adjustment on the motor itself.

As for guidance then should you wish to play in non-blinky mode then trial and error or advice from others but it very much depends on your driving style and the circuit configuration.

One thing you do need to remember is that any additional boost timing should be added to the motors static timing setting and the combined value should not exceed the maximum recommended for the motor!
Old 20-09-2015

Xracer: Thanks for the info, I will consider anything on the 'timing' screen disabled and leave those alone.

How do you know what the max timing for the motor is? I see nothing in or on the box or motor, am I missing something?

Maybe you could assist with the other screens, as info seems to be near non-existent on what these settings actually do. Here's my take on the braking section, but some assistance with them would be appreciated.

Brake Input Curve: Line probably means Linear and therefore exactly proportional to stick movement.
Drag Brake: This is the amount of braking applied with the stick at neutral
Brake Rate Switch Point: Position of the stick where the 1st and 2nd stage brake rates are applied. If the brake rates can only be set from very weak to very strong in each case, does that mean there are only 3 brake positions in total? i.e. Drag at neutral, then 1st rate, then 2nd rate?
Brake Strength: Not sure what this is for if amount of braking is set in the previous setting. Is this the maximum braking level at the top of level 2?
Initial Brake: Again not sure what this does.

Old 20-09-2015

Some motor instruction sheets do define the maximum timing recommended others just rely on the end bell markings.

I think it fair to say that keeping inside the limits however they are indicated is wise especially if gearing is also not optimised too, the motor temperature will rise very rapidly and a loss in performance will be evident too, hopefully not to the detriment of the stator winding!

The motor instructions should give temperature limits but remember the case temperature will be lower than the core temperature.

As for the other settings the description in any of the esc manuals does leave a lot to be desired, especially for us newcomers to such technology as I was not so long ago.

A linear brake input curve is the usual selection I would suggest, this turns off the ability to create a brake curve which some cars and conditions may favour especially on bigger open tracks and slippery conditions maybe!

Drag brake is a love or hate setting, I do use some drag a lot switch it off.

The brake rate switch points are simple curve point settings and are not applicable if linear is chosen.

Brake strength is the total braking effect at full trigger or stick movement, 100% will lock the wheels easily, so backing this off depending on grip level is wise, it is surprising how little braking you can get away with depending on the motor wind and what type of car you are driving.

Initial brake allows the drag setting at neutral otherwise you have to apply brake for any effect as brushless motors coast at neutral.

I hope this helps and is fully correct of course, there may be other contributors that can expand our knowledge further.

Last edited by Xracer; 20-09-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 20-09-2015

That's excellent, thanks, makes sense now!

So basically, assuming I leave it on Linear curve, I get drag brake at neutral, and a proportional amount starting at Initial Brake through to Brake Strength dependent on the stick position?

Fancy helping me out with the Throttle settings too? This looks a little simpler, but knowing my luck probably isn't.

Again leaving it at a Linear curve, I get 1st Stage Throttle below the Switch Point and 2nd stage above that?

How does the actual Throttle Rate work, is it a gentle ramp up when set as 'Very Weak' but a greater rate of increase at the start when set as 'Very Strong'?

And the 'Dead Band' is showing in micro seconds? So it does nothing at all for that length of time. I've no idea on this one!

TIA, Derek