Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 12-07-2010

Default Check those outdrive bearings

I just took apart the tranny on my Cougar and I was pleased to see that nothing was melted or worn. However, On further inspection I found that my outdrive bearings were absolutely trashed. I've seen outdrive bearings get gritty after months of playing with a car, but these were just screwed. A little concerning after driving the car for two days of practice and a total four five minute races. Not sure if I should call Schumacher or just order up some quality units from Boca. Anyway, heads up...anyone else had this problem?
~D
Old 12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCRACEMAN View Post
I just took apart the tranny on my Cougar and I was pleased to see that nothing was melted or worn. However, On further inspection I found that my outdrive bearings were absolutely trashed. I've seen outdrive bearings get gritty after months of playing with a car, but these were just screwed. A little concerning after driving the car for two days of practice and a total four five minute races. Not sure if I should call Schumacher or just order up some quality units from Boca. Anyway, heads up...anyone else had this problem?
~D
Had a problem with one bearing.. and the car have been used in rain/wet track and on a very dusty track!!

Otherwise, the small bearing inside the transmission was very dry and needs oil, after cleaning them and drops of oil, they spins again

Danish 4WD champion 1989, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

www.racegallery.dk
Old 13-07-2010

So annoyed...went to go order new bearings from Boca only to find that I left my bank card at the bar last night. Rabble rabble! I want to race!
~D
Old 13-07-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

So what bearings do people recommend?

I was planning on just getting a set from RC Bearings and then replacing them again and so forth
Old 13-07-2010

I would just get some cheap rubber sheilded bearings, and flush them regular till they are knackered, then replace.
Old 13-07-2010

if you wanted your bearings to last longer, then dont flush them. Bearings last longer when greased. I used to flush all my new bearings of all the grease and lube it with the lightest oil available, trinity royal. Now come to think of it, it was just unnecessarily obsessive behavior as the performance difference would be negligible
Old 13-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
So what bearings do people recommend?

I was planning on just getting a set from RC Bearings and then replacing them again and so forth
I'm a sucker for Bocas. If you can get them out there across the pond.
~D

Edit: I should say that I only know that I have never had a problem with Boca Bearings. I have no proof that they are "better".
Old 13-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCRACEMAN View Post
I'm a sucker for Bocas. If you can get them out there across the pond.
~D

Edit: I should say that I only know that I have never had a problem with Boca Bearings. I have no proof that they are "better".
Which BOCA bearings are you using?

I'll order some RC bearings in the short term
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

I'm currently rebuilding car. Yea I was racing in dusty condition and yea one of my outdrive bearings felt gritty - flushed it with brake cleaner, lubed with GT85 and it rolls like new - basically all schuey bearings work like this for me

Well, everyone have to consider that these bearings don't have rubber shields, so unless you're using grease, dirt will find way in. So just check it more often, clean and relube them again. I'm really using only GT85 for lubing all my bearings and they are nice free rolling.
Old 16-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

checked mine. all smooth rolling
Old 16-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Which BOCA bearings are you using?

I'll order some RC bearings in the short term
Shoot I can't remember. I have their standard rubber sealed bearings for my GT and some kind of shielded ceramic for the clutch bell.

I was thinking of going with MR6700-2GS. Standard Green Seal stuff.
~D
Old 16-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
I'm currently rebuilding car. Yea I was racing in dusty condition and yea one of my outdrive bearings felt gritty - flushed it with brake cleaner, lubed with GT85 and it rolls like new - basically all schuey bearings work like this for me

Well, everyone have to consider that these bearings don't have rubber shields, so unless you're using grease, dirt will find way in. So just check it more often, clean and relube them again. I'm really using only GT85 for lubing all my bearings and they are nice free rolling.
Even my rubber sealed acer bearings seized from dirt, regular cleaning is a must when racing on dirt.
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth898 View Post
Even my rubber sealed acer bearings seized from dirt, regular cleaning is a must when racing on dirt.
Yeah, everything needs to be cleaned time to time
Old 24-07-2010

ugh, these bearings are crap. One of the bearings supporting the slipper shaft was toast. Managed to bring them back to life but what is with the yellow paint on the bearings? Doesn't really do much.
~D
Old 28-07-2010

Looking at ordering the green boca bearings and then going from there. Anyone else changed all their SV bearings to a 3rd party bearing?
Old 28-07-2010

In this day and age of insane power available, I'd suggest that leaving the bearings fully greased would be the best bet. Back in the day you needed to get eveything as free as possible because it made a difference. I don't think that's quite so true nowadays.

IMHO
Old 28-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

funny you should say that. I'm sure mine has some play in it. I ordered 2 more bearings just to be on the safe side. I also have a bit of a varied mesh on the pinion to spur which can only be linked to the bit of play
Old 28-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
funny you should say that. I'm sure mine has some play in it. I ordered 2 more bearings just to be on the safe side. I also have a bit of a varied mesh on the pinion to spur which can only be linked to the bit of play
Main thing I'll be replacing is layshaft bearings in the SV and SX. SX is still on the originals from March 2009 and due a failure I expect...
Old 28-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I bought mine 2nd hand so no idea how old they are