Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 20-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
You missed a trick there. You SO should have had your front wheel drive in your hands..
Yeah I know... It would've been the fastest ice cream box out there I didn't have it at the ready for pictures, and now I don't have that as marketing material, but it does give a glimpse of my ambitions for the third prototype

Edit: By the way, now the V2 is officially announced, I can confirm the FWD is both V1 and V2 compatible without design changes - just some setup changes are sufficient.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 12-04-2014

Very interested...
Any good news??
Old 06-05-2014

I can see it nose dive on the jumps like a rally car. Please submit a video I'd like to see it in action.
Old 06-05-2014
Mad Member

Update time! I have built the car just over a week ago, just in time for an opportunity to test the car. I must admit it wasn't a well prepared test, but things look promising: the car seems to handle more naturally. Like the last car it may take a few events to find a nice base setup for the car, but I can feel that the construction and geometry of the car is already a step ahead over its predecessor, now it's time to dial the first two key things: weight balance and dampers.

@J-milz: I recall there are plenty of video links earlier in the topic

The story in short: Cars can jump flat because their driven wheels spin up upon leaving the ramp as the motor is no longer under load. If this spin-up is too small or not present, the front end falls down like a brick (believe me, I've tried it and even rear-motor RWD buggies suffer from this).

As such, the FWD can jump flat, even with it's motor pointing towards the sky, because the wheels can spin up. However, it is crucial to make sure the wheels don't show (too) much wheelspin upon leaving the ramp. In addition, it's more sensitive to changing throttle input mid-air, or braking, the last of which I don't recommend

Old 06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Update time! I have built the car just over a week ago, just in time for an opportunity to test the car. I must admit it wasn't a well prepared test, but things look promising: the car seems to handle more naturally. Like the last car it may take a few events to find a nice base setup for the car, but I can feel that the construction and geometry of the car is already a step ahead over its predecessor, now it's time to dial the first two key things: weight balance and dampers.

Old 09-05-2014

Awesome, glad to hear that things are still moving on. The old "ice cream tub" looked wicked in action so I can't wait to see what the new version goes like. I really hope you manage to get this to a real viable state as the work that has gone into it is well beyond me but great to watch .
Old 09-05-2014

I stand corrected. It looks better than expected on the jumps. I like it!
Old 12-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi_110 View Post
Awesome, glad to hear that things are still moving on. The old "ice cream tub" looked wicked in action so I can't wait to see what the new version goes like. I really hope you manage to get this to a real viable state as the work that has gone into it is well beyond me but great to watch .
Should look less of an 'Ice cream tub' this time ... there's a new bespoke FF body and wing in the making
Old 13-05-2014
Mad Member

Hehe, I can't wait! The ice cream bug has brought me a lot of fun, but this car should look as good (if not better) on the outside as it does under the shell - and the matter of taste aside, I think it looks quite pretty under the shell

Whilst I can't yet show you any pictures or videos, I do have the first data of the car: Weight! In weighs in at 1495g. This is with the following spec:
- ProLine (clay) tires on all corners.
- Motor, ESC, battery and receiver (including all wiring).
- No transponder, bodyshell and sidepods.

The electronics I use are pretty heavy: Without ESC and receiver the car was 1365g!

Anyway, referring to post #252, the car is 80g heavier than the last one. I must admit I don't recall with what tires I measured the car then, but this puts the car in the range of the minimum weight. Previous experience tells me the car feels much happier with a bit more weight (at least on the bumpy tracks I drive on), so it's not crucial, but it's good to know the concerns for minimum weight are out the door.

Old 16-05-2014
Mad Member

Update time, this time with a picture!

It's a bit of a teaser, I know... I'm processing the other pictures as we speak, you can expect them to appear in the topic later today.

If anyone wants to know: No, the bodyshell is not yet the one made by mrspeedy, this is the bodyshell of the HB D413. It's temporary, to cover the car until the real bodywork arrives

Old 16-05-2014
Mad Member

And here are some more pictures

Old 16-05-2014
oOple Advertiser

looking great.
Old 17-05-2014

looking good, you've got some nice details on the parts we can see in the photos. really like the wing mounts and rear arms/ rear uprights fixing.

Do you have any body off shots.

Keep up with the good work, really like what you doing and always look forward to you new posts.
Old 17-05-2014
Mad Member

Is that a sprung carbon mount for the rear wing?
Old 17-05-2014
Mad Member

Thanks guys

@mattr: The plate doesn't have a spring mechanism connected to it, but the plate itself does act as a spring mechanism. It's meant to cause a bit more flex in crashes/impacts to protect the wing and chassis, whilst at the same time making the construction rigid to sideways forces which - though probably a minor factor - will increase the stabilizing factor of the wing.

@androo: For now the lid will stay on the car. I'd love to share the project completely and openly, it's not my style... however at this point I want to protect my investment until I either make a conversion kit, a new prototype or decide to end developments.

PS: This doesn't mean I will keep everything quiet... I will be sharing as much as possible on how the project progresses, and when available, action photos and videos too

Old 17-05-2014

Cant wait to see these popping up at tracks! Looking good Paul!
Old 18-05-2014
Mad Member

Yeah, that's what i meant by sprung. Carbon leaf springs seem to be popping up everywhere at the minute, and that's a novel use for one!
Old 18-05-2014
Gypsy Member

Oh the excitement
Old 26-05-2014
Mad Member

Yesterday I was at a club race, and I've driven the FWD in the last of the final heats.

The clay was recently treated with a compound to reduce the amount of wear and erosion of the clay - which also massively increased traction (lets just say grip roll was becoming an issue, many people were running clay geometry but dampers with an astroturf setup). Without preparation, my driving and my car were used to the track with zero bite - this (particularly my driving ) compromised my qualifying, becoming pole sitter for the B finals.

With the setup of my DEX210 fixed in the meantime, I had two decent finals, ending first and second. Just before the start of the last final, I decided to swap the transponder and put it in my FWD for the last final. I had driven it there last week - before the track was treated - and found it needed a softer front setup. Without any preparation otherwise I used it in the finals...

...and came in first it really went quite well and consistently, even the start was good (I managed to retain first place into the first corner without trouble).

More relevant is perhaps that FWD was only 7 seconds slower than with the DEX210 over the course of a final! Some notes: This was the fastest final with my 210, but I did have a bad start in that final, losing some 8 seconds. It was less dusty, so there was more bite, thus potentially more pace. The quickest lap of the FWD is off by about 0.9 seconds. Also, I let the winner of the club race drive it, and he was also only off by about 0.8 seconds from his quickest lap time (with only 3 minutes of practicing with the car)

So it seems the pace on more usual surfaces is starting to get there! The overall gap to RWDs on clay is already smaller than with the last proto, and I haven't played with many settings just yet. Also, the gap seems to have shrunken a lot in the hands of a top driver. I need to look into this further, but it may mean that either it has gotten a lot more potential pace that top drivers can squeeze out (which the last car didn't), or it has become much easier to drive/switch to from an RWD (which would benefit all drivers). Either way, it's only good news!

I believe some pictures have been taken of the car, and a video was made after the finals of the car in action.

Oh, and before I forget, last week the first version of the tailor made FWD body arrived. I couldn't paint it on time to race with it, but I'll get to this soon. It gives the car a very distinctive look, it really suits the car. So stay tuned!

Old 27-05-2014

Thumbs up