Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-07-2014
Mad Member

TBH, unless you are racing on a MASSIVE track or at the pointy end of regional/national A Finals something like a 6.5 will be wasted.
With proper set up and gearing something like an 8.5 will be all the motor you need.
Old 20-07-2014

Hi Matt,
That makes sense, I'm a novice too so I'm sure an 8.5 will be more than enough and I'll still be avoiding full throttle. May make a difference in my old axis2 4wd tourer but I can't imagine getting anywhere near the power down in a 2wd buggy. I can only imagine the right motor for the speed, with the right gearing can only be better than a faster setup that's limited to say 70% by the program on ESC
Old 20-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters86 View Post
Motor seems a lot lower spec on paper, is it just a better quality motor? Guess I could upgrade the motor at a later date if I get such a beefy ESC.
Quality of the esc and motor is better - the Turnigy Trackstar stuff is excellent. In terms of the motor, a 5.5t in 2wd buggy is way to fast - most people I race with run 8.5t or higher (and my local indoor track is HUGE).
Old 20-07-2014

Which track is that out of interest Chris? Noticed your from Notts.
Old 20-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters86 View Post
Which track is that out of interest Chris? Noticed your from Notts.
Its West Bridgford - during the winter (sept -may) we race in the sports hall of West Bridgford school. Massive hall and 100% carpet. Where are you based?
Old 20-07-2014

Stay away from the leopard sensorless finned cans.

This is a good starter power system, about £29 delivered to your door:

http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...Path=1560_1301

The turnigy charger and battery is fine.

Spend all your money on the radio gear and servo.
Old 21-07-2014

I'm from Mansfield, Chris so not miles away.
I'll get some indoor practice in before then and have to pop over in the winter. Especially if you can get some speed up there.

In the end I've gone for a Turnigy Trackstar 9.5T Motor with Hobbyking 120A ESC and USB programming Lead. The trackstar esc was back order and I'm very impatient when it comes to new toys. I've read a few reviews and generally they seem fine if you don't fit them to your front bumper!

Thanks for the link 200sx, I'll have to check out what else they have. I have my old 40Mhz radio equipment for now, I'll probably hold onto it until it dies or I get laughed at at the track. It's Sanwa Exerd Gemini Controller, Futaba Microreceiver and Futaba metal gear servo. #Retro
Old 22-07-2014

I would say a 9.5t is too much motor if you've been out the game a while. Whatever you do with the end points it's still going to accelerate like a 9.5t. Throttle feel will be compromised if you lower punch on the esc. A 13.5 would be more suitable and still a handful. A modern 13.5 is about as powerful as a 10t brushed.
Old 22-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
I would say a 9.5t is too much motor if you've been out the game a while. Whatever you do with the end points it's still going to accelerate like a 9.5t. Throttle feel will be compromised if you lower punch on the esc. A 13.5 would be more suitable and still a handful. A modern 13.5 is about as powerful as a 10t brushed.
I'll second that - in my Team C I have a 14T Orion and it is very quick - much faster than what I could handle (although I was out of the RC game for slightly longer). Unless the track has a very long straight you won't notice the reduced power as it will be more than enough in the in-field. Even on the long straights you will only notice a small top end difference between you and a seriously quick car. But, too much power in the windy bits and you will lose lots of time. And tyres

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...