Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 17-03-2012

Default Losi XXX Kinwald Edition Rebuild

Hi all,
I've recently been rebuilding an xxx kinwald edition that I found cheap on ebay. Just thought I would share the pics if anyone is interested. Maybe someone out there can help me source a few bits. (Blue Front bumper, Phobia body?)

So far I have completely stripped the car down and cleaned all the parts. The gearbox was in a bit of a state, and lots of rusty screws. The rear outdrives and dogbones are pretty worn out.

Here's how it was when I got it... Will update pics as I go.

The gearbox was a bit of a mess!

Old 17-03-2012

And here is the car almost completely stripped down and cleaned.

I have found a new graphite battery strap, some brand new kinwald wheels and new tyres, trinity blue motor plate (not sure whether to use the original or not) and also have lots of new in bag losi parts ready to be fitted. New graphite arms, diff balls, e-clips, screws etc. I've fitted the original kit springs.

More to follow soon...
Old 17-03-2012

Good job, I love doing stuff like this, just never get round to taking pics.
Old 17-03-2012

Thanks Andy.

Here's the gearbox all cleaned, bearings replaced/cleaned as required.

All nice and smooth now...

Just need to find some decent outdrives and cvd's now.
Old 26-03-2012

Hope can see the complete soon .
Old 05-04-2012

There's been a slight delay with this project due to sourcing the new parts I needed. The diff, outdrives and dogbones were all very worn.

The good news is I found a job lot of new in pack losi xxx spares on ebay which included practically every thing I needed, so I can really get stuck in now and finish it off!

I've got new outdrives, cvds, all new diff parts going in, carbide diff balls, thrust bearing / screw set, shock rebuild kits and lots of other goodies. It should be a nice buggy when it's done.

I've just received a new in pack phobia rear wing from america, and also found a half decent phobia body which will have to do until I can find a new one (if I ever do!).
Old 07-04-2012

Here's all the new diff parts ready to be assembled. All gearbox moving parts have now been replaced with brand new parts, every single bearing, gear, screw and washer, new kevlar spur and slipper pads, new thrust bearing and harware parts etc.

Now super smooth like new! New outdrives also fitted.

Old 07-04-2012

New rear pivot plate as the current one wasn't up to my standards (shame not in graphite, but it will be fine)...

Pivot block cleaned and assembled...

New graphite rear arms fitted...

Gearbox fitted onto pivot plate...

Old 07-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good rebuild! Keep the pics coming!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 08-04-2012

That looks like fun to do,

It's still for sale at losi i see http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA0029
Old 15-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
That looks like fun to do,

It's still for sale at losi i see http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA0029
Hi Qwerty, I'm 99% sure this kit has long been discontinued (Losi don't seem to update their information about old kits!). The XXX BK2 was released after this one, and the XXXCR after that. With the release of the Losi 22 last year I think even the CR has now been discontinued too, although I am sure I read on here somewhere that DMS racing bought the last batch from Losi? (Might have to grab one soon).
Old 05-05-2012

Finally got all the parts to finish the buggy!

I found a brand new set of CVDs to replace the really worn out XXXcr dogbones but it turned out that they were GENII (Losi XXX BK2) and are a little bit shorter!

So that held me up, but I was lucky to find a rear end of a CR for 99p on ebay which just happened to have the correct original Kinwald CVDs fitted in fairly good condition.

Here's the old CR ones that had loads of play in them, and some very worn out rear hub bearings...

And here is the correct XXX / Kinwald CVDs with BK2 CVDs below...

Some nice new bearings for the rear hubs, new 'foam things' and cleaned up spacers...

Lots more to follow tonight!
Old 05-05-2012

Rear hubs fitted onto wishbones, and shock tower also fitted...

Here's all the graphite parts replaced / cleaned...

And here is the gearbox assembly / rear end fitted to the chassis... coming along nicely. (The bright flash has highlighted a few rusty screws which I will take care of at some point)...

Old 05-05-2012

Started on the front end...

Replaced all hinge pins with Titanium Nitride, replaced hub bearings and stub axles, unfortunately only in silver (the blue ones were rounded off and worn).

Steering rack fitted...

Front end assembled and ready to fit to chassis...

Old 05-05-2012

Front end fitted to chassis, shock tower ready to go on... it's really starting to look like a buggy again now!

Servo ready to be mounted...

Servo mounted, shock tower fitted and battery strap...

I've fitted some new turnbuckles but have yet to replace the ball cups with the Kinwald blue ones. I may upgrade to super duty ball cups yet as the blue ones are not all matching. Must replace those last few rusty screws...

Old 05-05-2012

And now to sort the shocks out. I've done away with the non-matching front silver shock bodies that were on the car and replaced with the bronze coloured. Not sure what colour came with the car, seen a lot of Kinwald editions with silver shocks, yet on Losi's site they look like the bronzy ones.

Also replaced the plastic shock adjusters with some later losi aluminium ones. Replaced springs with original kit springs.

I keep trying to find some good hi-res pics of an original kinwald edition built to the box art, but none seem to exist! If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

So here I have started rebuilding the shocks... one kept leaking so I have inspected it closer...

And a circlip had sprung off and jammed into the shock cartridge...

Here's the shocks cleaned up and ready to fill with oil and reassemble.

And all ready to be fitted...

Old 05-05-2012

Here's the shocks fitted, rear dogbone/cvds fitted, wing mounts and rear turnbuckles... not long now!

Old 25-06-2012

After months of looking for a brand new phobia body, I became impatient and decided to use my spare bk2 body (which is in very good condition).

I fitted a new cr gearbox cover as the original clear ones are a bit flimsy and not all that great at keeping the dirt out. I also reverted back to the original kinwald blue motor plate. The trinity one looked nicer but had those grooves and didn't really seal very well, also letting dirt in.

Here's a pic after its first run since the rebuild! It runs as smooth as silk, super quiet gearbox compared to how it was. Lots of fun over a local gravel/dirt car park!

and with the phobia body

Old 14-11-2012

Default Been awhile, but thought I would ask ...

Great job on the rebuild? Have you tried any club racing?
Old 14-11-2012

Great pictures. that must give you lot of Satisfaction to see it complete.