Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-04-2017

Default Losi XXX Kinwald Edition rebuild (another one)

Really fancied doing another losi kinwald rebuild (First one I did in 2012 click here). Found one on ebay recently which is actually in pretty good shape so if anyone is interested I will post pics as I go.

I'm also finally joining a club (Southend SRCCC) so I plan on running it if they do any vintage racing

Will post pics as I go. Thanks - John.

Last edited by losimad; 04-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2017

Well I have had the gearbox and shocks off and all looks pretty good inside. The gearbox does make some whirring noises so I think the diff might not look so good inside, but we will see.

Last edited by losimad; 04-04-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2017

OK Here's my progress so far.

The diff wasn't too bad and just needed a good clean. The rest of the gearbox parts looked almost new so that was a nice surprise. Outdrives don't have much wear either, and most of the bearings look like new. I don't think this car has seen loads of use.

Shocks have been cleaned and rebuilt with new oil. One shock had a seal broken so will need to find a losi cartridge rebuild kit.

I've given all the removed parts a good clean and ready to reassemble them.

At the moment my primary goal is making the buggy run like new. I will worry more about the appearance etc. once it does.

Old 04-04-2017

quick update...

Diff cleaned / rebuilt

Gears cleaned and reassembled

Gearbox back together...

Slipper clutch reassembled...

All fitted back on buggy...

Last edited by losimad; 04-04-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: images didnt show up
Old 04-04-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

To be fair John, that looks like a nice find matey. I loved the Kinwald xxx when it came out. I remember removing the graphite chassis for a plastic chassis then giving the plastic chassis to Paul Worsley to machine battery slots down the centre to get the cells lower.

Should give you peace of mined now the gearbox/diff is all mint and in great condition. Looks to have the alloy driveshafts, rpm rod ends and some nice bits.

What's your plans for it now....
Old 04-04-2017

Thanks xfactor, I was quite pleased with the condition when it turned up.

I've got the original blue kinwald wheels for it, and if I can find a better condition blue bumper and motor guard that would be nice, although I will probably be running this car so maybe I won't go too mad.

Ultimately I just want to replace any broken or worn parts and get it running nice and smooth. The last one I did ran like a new buggy and was a lot of fun to restore. I've got an original XXT as well but not sure if I will rebuild it as the parts are so expensive what with crazy US postage prices!

I'd love to know where you find all those nice trinity parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
To be fair John, that looks like a nice find matey. I loved the Kinwald xxx when it came out. I remember removing the graphite chassis for a plastic chassis then giving the plastic chassis to Paul Worsley to machine battery slots down the centre to get the cells lower.

Should give you peace of mined now the gearbox/diff is all mint and in great condition. Looks to have the alloy driveshafts, rpm rod ends and some nice bits.

What's your plans for it now....