Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 24-11-2012

Definitely needs discussion, but if the team of builders who've never seen an RC track before can build what we already have, then i'm sure we can improve on it. I remember building the old double coming off the brickwork on the old track's back straight. Main memory is that it astro packed with sand is REALLY heavy.

We'd need to know what to use underneath for adequate drainage, some grade of gravel i guess, but it has to not move when it's walked on.

We also need to know where to get the same astro as the rest of the track, and the cost of it.

Other than that we need to design and agree on the new features. Get your sketch pads out, and we can all discuss it. Need to keep in mind that all features need to be drivable by kids, and avoid dips and holes where water would collect.
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Like I said we should discuss it tomorrow at some point through the day
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Would it be builders sand?
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygibbon View Post
Hmm astro covered jumps look good
and I see ya point but there track hasn't got as much space as ours even enlarging or reshaping what we got would help
Any one on here got any track design or even cad design experience
We could get some 3d plans of features to give us an idea
Photoshop em In we can see how they fit

Sis right if we do it
We do it properly
:thumb down:

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 24-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
We need more track building experience for me, somebody to take charge and keep things moving. If we start hacking away at the astro without proper guidance we could end up making more of a mess.
That said, if we can get it well planned out it will definitely improve the track no end.

Chris
This is the key point.
The truth is we already have a good track. Ok, so some members are after some changes, but the track we have does work.
More than a few people have told me that the old tracks big jump down by the cabin is what nearly killed Bury club. People got annoyed with the breakages and stopped coming, to the point when Buds, Johnny and I joined there were about a half dozen racers.
Ill thought out features, especially jumps can kill a track. The old Keighley tracks massive double was a 'do or die' feature some loved and some hated.

The message is clear - just don't f*ck it up!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 24-11-2012

I thought Stu originally designed the track we have now and the builders built it to his specification. You would have a hell of a lot of work to rebuild the track we have and even if you laid down loads of permanent fixtures they would soon get boring as well..
Surely it would be quicker and more cost effective to make some really nice jumps and features that can be moved around the track and be built and put away easy
Old 24-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The track is mostly as designed, but the table top at the far end was meant to be higher and longer with the strange slope in the centre being a wall-ride - and the banked bend much higher.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

Stu has told me he designed it but the builders didn't do it how it was supposed to be. Nah temporary jumps are poor, it's not off road it's man made, you may as well race indoor. And si people break cars, not the track. If they don't have the ability to jump properly there's always a safer way to take them (bump slowly over them) and what you said about the jump near the cabin is rubbish that was part of the track for years and years, end of the day if you don't want to break your car then it's simple..... Slow the **** down.
Old 24-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
Stu has told me he designed it but the builders didn't do it how it was supposed to be. Nah temporary jumps are poor, it's not off road it's man made, you may as well race indoor. And si people break cars, not the track. If they don't have the ability to jump properly there's always a safer way to take them (bump slowly over them) and what you said about the jump near the cabin is rubbish that was part of the track for years and years, end of the day if you don't want to break your car then it's simple..... Slow the **** down.

So is sticking cobbles down etc.. its all man made once you build a permanent type track there is only so many ways you can set it out so it would still get boring where as if you build movable decent jumps humps or what ever there is millions of ways of integrating them in to what we already have
Old 24-11-2012
Mad Member

I've never said I'd like cobbles, for me all astro is fine. It just needs fast bumpy sections, level changes, whoop jumps just a few more features to make it more like it used to be rather than it being too flat as it is right now. There's quite a lot of other people with the same opinion so I must have a point...
Old 24-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I've never said I'd like cobbles, for me all astro is fine. It just needs fast bumpy sections, level changes, whoop jumps just a few more features to make it more like it used to be rather than it being too flat as it is right now. There's quite a lot of other people with the same opinion so I must have a point...

People always want what they don't have
As I said, we were all set to put in some paving a few months back but then I got into a conversation with the Southport committee and found their members were asking to astro over their hard surfaces due to tyre wear. You can't please everyone - and the most vocal people tend to be those not currently pleased.

I know drivers break cars not the track, but you know what - if they break their car for whatever reason, go home and don't come back thats a member lost. A harsh reality of our current racing scene is that, whilst its full of people who raced at Bury years ago very few have been back for even 2 years. New members are the clubs lifeblood. In addition, many of the returnee's are now parents, so the track should be newbie and kiddie friendly. That means even a bad driver shouldn't break too much stuff!

People leave the club for money or family reasons - not because of the track. But if the track isn't accessible to the new people that replace them numbers dwindle and the club dies.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 25-11-2012
Mad Member

Si you seem very negative about this. Once again I will say it. I've never said anything about concrete or cobbles
Old 25-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Si you seem very negative about this. Once again I will say it. I've never said anything about concrete or cobbles
Not negative, just tired! (due to baby before anyone takes offense)

We've had the conversation a lot of times already. After weighing up all the factors we normally end up back where we started!
Stu's initial idea remains sound - we just don't work it properly. The question is do we change the track to how we can work it, or change how we work to the track?

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 25-11-2012

Quote:

we not saying that is what you are suggesting that was just an example of a permanent fixture.. All I was suggesting is that it would be a hell of a lot of work just to put some more humps or dips in when you could build movable ones that would be just as good and could be moved around. Where as if its under the astro once you have raced it half a dozen times it would get boring to... I quite like whats there at the moment I dont think its any flatter than alot of clubs I have raced at outside this year
Old 25-11-2012
Mad Member

To be honest thinking about it I'd like a bumpy section more than anything and I don't think it would get boring as ther could be a number of ways you could build it and or run the track on it and it would be the easiest to build and cheapest. What do we think?
Old 25-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think another summer like the last one and we'll have a bumpy section without having to do any track lifting!
The old track was very bumpy, Southport is too - so having a bumpy section makes sense. However we'll have to do something to 'mark out' that section for track building or it will get lost - bigger features are clear visible when laying hose but bumps not so much.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 25-11-2012
Gypsy Member

Bumps yeah
Proper jumps Definatly
Looks like goshen is due some updates and hopefully we can improve on what the builders have left using what we no about racing on the track
It's a good space with unique astro and it does race ok , but some new exciting features and reshaping and repairing of current ones will only improve it
Old 25-11-2012
Mad Member

Si you're on the commitee, get the ball rolling
Old 25-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've also got a son who is less than a month old! The only reason I'm on here quite a bit is I can Oople on my phone whilst holding him.
I'm most certainly not the person for this job.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 26-11-2012
Mad Member

No but you're part of the commitee who can influence other committee members