Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 26-06-2014

Default Newbie to TC needs help with Mi3.5

Hi there,
I have just bought an Mi3.5 to have a go at touring car. it seems as though the diffs are completely jammed and there are a few parts that look like they need replacing.

diffs- if you turn one wheel, its opposite wheel should turn in the opposite direction, yes? these don't twist one wheel and all four turn.

spares- are these available or do I need to use parts that are compatible with other models, which models are compatible?

how do I know the dp of the spur gear to get the correct pinion?

thanks

Matt
Old 26-06-2014

Go on the schumacher web site and search vintage cars you will find parts lists and exploded diagrams a lot of parts will be the same for other models so still in production. You may have a spool in front that is not a differential as it locks the front axle or people used to take out the diff balls for the same effect.
Strip the car clean it and replace the parts needed it does help in the future when you need to replace something, especially if you intend to race it
Old 26-06-2014

pretty sure it will be either 48 or 64DP for the pinion.... most likely 48dp
Old 26-06-2014

Hi Matt, Pop down the track and see us before you in to deep. You want the front diff locked. We race most Sundays
Old 27-06-2014

thanks all. I have checked and it looks like a spool up front. why do you want the front end locked?
Old 27-06-2014

Spool or fixed front will make the car easier to drive. Check Schumachers website for spare parts, all still available.
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

You can fit some parts from Mi4 series and possibly some of the parts from Mi5 as well (never ran Mi5 so not entirely sure), especially diff parts.

I did little bit of racing with friend's Mi3.5 when I only had one Mi4 to run and wanted to run 2 classes - serviced his car with parts that I had readily available to my car.

Standard gear was 48DP, but best thing to do is to send us number of teeth on spur - 64DP usually have significantly higher number of teeth than 48DP spurs.
Old 05-07-2014

its 85 tooth so 48dp if it is the standard Schumacher part.
Old 07-07-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

If it's 85 then it's 48dp for sure. There basically aren't aftermarket spur gears for Schumacher range due to their unique shape
Old 08-07-2014

You may have 2 spools in the car, front and back, have you got a pic of these so I can confirm what they are?

Also you can tell if its 48dp or 64dp by looking at the spur, if the teeth are close together its 64dp if there apart then its 48dp (bigger gap), what numbers are on the spur? I can to tell you what DP it is by the number of teeth.

48DP is normally below 100t, and 64DP is 106/8t+.

So for example if the spur says 85, 87, or 89, then its 48DP.
If it says 108, 114, e.c.t then its 64DP.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
You can fit some parts from Mi4 series and possibly some of the parts from Mi5 as well (never ran Mi5 so not entirely sure), especially diff parts.

I did little bit of racing with friend's Mi3.5 when I only had one Mi4 to run and wanted to run 2 classes - serviced his car with parts that I had readily available to my car.

Standard gear was 48DP, but best thing to do is to send us number of teeth on spur - 64DP usually have significantly higher number of teeth than 48DP spurs.
Correct, some diff part and others like spurs e.c.t are pretty much the same, and are should be usable on all Schumacher TC's