Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-08-2017

Default High voltage LiPo

Hi

I was looking online to buy some new 2s LiPos for my touring car and found that shops are selling new high voltage LiPos. Has anyone tried using these yet?

I've been looking online for more information about them and I'm struggling to find any decent info related to use in the rc world. There's a bit of info about them but it's mainly about use in phones and laptops etc.

What I have found is they can be charged to 8.7v (8.35v per cell) and seam to have a higher capacity but the BRCA limits the maximum voltage to 8.4v (4.2v per cell). If I only charge to 8.4v I'm going to lose the extra capacity. Some people say they are lighter, safer and less likely to swell than traditional LiPos but other say there is no difference over than the voltage.

Is they any advantages of using them if only charged to 8.4v?

Are they worth getting or should I stick to normal LiPos?

Thanks for your help
Old 20-08-2017

My understanding is that because we only charge them to 8.4V i.e. not 100% capacity, the number of charge cycles will increase and therefore increase their lifetime. And also because it's not at max voltage when charged, the cells can stay in a charged state longer before the swelling starts.
Old 20-08-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbl3r View Post
My understanding is that because we only charge them to 8.4V i.e. not 100% capacity, the number of charge cycles will increase and therefore increase their lifetime. And also because it's not at max voltage when charged, the cells can stay in a charged state longer before the swelling starts.
In spec racing the cells offer no gain in perfomance, only when charged at higher voltage is there a gain, but were bannned from doing that as brca members, from club meetings to nationals.
Some say as they are not as stressed on thier voltages, they last longer, but as yet seeen no evidience of that
Old 23-08-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivenParker View Post
If your lipo full charger, its voltage will over 4.2V per cell, high capacity means high voltage, you don't worry about it.
Except for UK Racers, the BRCA states 8.4v is the maximum voltage you can charge to, regardless of whether you are at a national or a club day.