Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2016

Default Getting rid of the gears in the Optima Mid

It's been a long time since I was on Oople. Just to let you all know, I am working on a twin belt optima mid at the moment.
It will be a system similar to the Schumacher Mi1, in which a short belt is driven from the layshaft which connects to the rear diff pulley, which is basically a double diff pulley.The layshaft pulley will be a 14T or 15T S3M same as the Lazer size. Right now my second revision is using 14T over the 13T of the first revision. One side will be using Lazer ZX diff pulley and the other side my custom designed Optima Mid Diff pulley, only available in gear diff at this time. The gearbox must be drilled to insert new 3D printed shaft inserts , the center gear shaft and bearings will be used back.
For the first prototype I had issue of the new short belt slipping. Once I upped the pulley size to 14T and tightened the belt tension a bit, there is no more slipping of the short belt, but now I have a problem with my XL mid belt pulley somehow not having correct tooth cutting dimension causing the original long belt to slip the pulleys on high loads. I had this same issue for a ball diff pulley I made for first revision.
I am working with my supplies to resolve this issue, I believe its just a CNC radius issue, as the original kyosho pulleys are sharped edged on the inside, but my machine pulleys have some radius ,causing the belt to want to come off the pulleys.
I will keep you all updated, but some of you already on facebook have seen my prototype pics.
Right now Standard Mid gearbox ratio is 2.6, with this new system it will be 2.21, if I decide to up the pulley to 15T it will be 2.06.
The advantage of this system is you do not need to grease your gears anymore and even if some sand get in it wont cause damage. This will greatly reduce maintenance time. The only wear and tear item are the new short belt, and top pulley, in order of higher wear.

Last edited by Peakey; 10-08-2016 at 05:35 AM.