Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Basingstoke Radio Car Club

Old 08-07-2011

Default a stand for the new track

hi forward thinking,but the pic i posted show westmills track,if you look at the container it been converted to a stand,it proberly the cheapest way to make a stand for the drivers and gives the heigth you need to see the track as well as storage or a club room,so if anyone got contact where we could aquire one?stand.jpg and a good welder ?
Old 08-07-2011

very nice
Old 20-07-2011

the container thing is a nice idea . Where i work we are getting rid of something similar to that but it is square rather than a long container it has windows as well .. would it be worht finding out what is happening to it ??
Old 20-07-2011

Yes please, that would be a great help.
Old 20-07-2011

I would caution the use of a container as the stand.

Through experience I have prevented storage on top of containers at work as they bend and this creates an area where rain water pools.
The result of this is they rust easily and you end up with a hole in the roof.
If this is to be the route we go down then we will need to put additional support inside the container (a couple of acro props should do it) and think about putting an additional flooring layer on top of the container (marine ply or something similar).
I am in the process of pricing an amount of scaffold tube from a supplier and will pass this info on as soon as I have it. This would be for the creation of stands / hand rails etc.
I also have access to containers and vehicles to move them. If either is required, let me know.
Old 20-07-2011

You may find that a container is approx a thousand quid for a good one where as I paid 200 quid for this beauty!!

I made the stairs myself and the floor boards are reclaimed scaff planks. the pit bench being OSB board all in all cost about 350 quid
Old 20-07-2011

yes we will need to cover over the top to stop the water,but the container will provide a club house tea making place and somewhere to store the bbq,and i am sure we could convert a container to a toilets,if the club get bigger
Old 20-07-2011

well this a good alterative and at a good price,let see how much we can get a container for only because of storage and a small club room are the extras.the racking a good idea and it looks solid and safe,
Old 20-07-2011

WOW, nice job steelie.
Old 20-07-2011

Telling ya that thing is STURDY, Its got 15 feet angle iron hammered into the ground as anchors and bolted to the frame and 8 foot pegs hammered into the ground on every foot, two in some!!

Just passed its safety ticket with flying colours!
Old 20-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvandal View Post
WOW, nice job steelie.
That is the dogs dangle part that is!!

I am MUCH impressed.

I don't suppose you drew a set of plans for it did you?
(Drink in the post etc etc etc!!!)
Old 20-07-2011

are any of you familiar with what the old race track at basingstoke Viables centre had .
Basically it was a container with windows and a frame over the top of it with planks on much like Steelies design .
It meant that you were never stood on the container itself also had stairs at both ends as i remember .
I shall have a chat tomorow when i am back in work see if i can get the military to just write it off or give it to you
Old 20-07-2011

Wow awesome.
I think you have the same idea as me, build a scafold rostrum around a container. Makes great sense to me.
Phil (our health and saftey official) and myself will discuss how to make this solution safe.
Old 20-07-2011

Viables has an old track, which still partly exists under the overgrowth. We contacted the Council ages ago about this land. The plot is currently under plans for re-development so the track cannot be rebuilt at present, this situation may change but not until the end of the year.
On another note, their may be an issue with running Nitro's there anyway.
Old 20-07-2011

well ill see whats going on . this container block was used by our airfield lighting guy and did him alright for a few years and now its just sitting dormant after he moved into the gliding club building with us ..
there is also a toilet block just sat next to it . but fear that is jumping the gun a bit .
Old 20-07-2011

Hi

At the Bury club we use two 20' containers placed end to end. The top sections have been decked out with handrails and mesh for the rostrum. One container contains race-control with the other being used for storage.

Here is a picture of the final thing. We did consider having a cover to it like the rostrum on our old track, but being in a public park, this attracted undesirables in the evening taking shelter and throwing their cans/bottles onto the track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6380526...57626773129999

Hope this provides some further inspiration. I do not know the costs as we already had the containers.
Old 20-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvandal View Post
Wow awesome.
I think you have the same idea as me, build a scafold rostrum around a container. Makes great sense to me.
Phil (our health and saftey official) and myself will discuss how to make this solution safe.
Sorry, the "fun police" strike again!!

There are plenty of adaptions that can be made to a container that will make a perfect stand but I just want to ensure it is built with a long life in mind.

I would like my hobby to serve me into my retirement!
Old 21-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxydude View Post
well ill see whats going on . this container block was used by our airfield lighting guy and did him alright for a few years and now its just sitting dormant after he moved into the gliding club building with us ..
there is also a toilet block just sat next to it . but fear that is jumping the gun a bit .
I don't suppose you have any spare land aswell, say around 100M x 60M lol
Old 21-07-2011

basicly we need a container and a generator,so if we can get one free with just removeal costs would be great,i could store a container in burghfield common for a short while if needed,but i feel 2 containers and is what we need,1 for race control ,tea storage 2.as a toliet block,if your going to get 40 plus racer at a meet we will need a toilets later on.if there free containers and last 2 years,then we get the money from haveing open races to replace them in a couple of years.land,track and stand are proity then we should get money from pratise sessions to impove the track and a bigger membership base,build the track and the members will come,
Old 21-07-2011

I've already got a small generator sorted. Its only 1KW but should do for the short term.