Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 13-08-2013

Send a message via Yahoo to spybot
Default Looking Forward To Sunday

Now that I've finally got my speed controller & motor up and running I'm looking forward to starting racing again after over 20 years. Took the car out on the street to give it a test run earlier tonight & jeepers I couldn't believe just how fast it was, so much quicker than I remember, in fact it was as quick on grass as the Procat I last raced with & on the tarmac road it was ridiculously fast. that's why I'm waiting till Sunday to start racing again need a few days to learn to control my little pussy CAT if I went Wednesday night I'd just be all over the track completely out of control.

So all things willing I'll see you all on Sunday for a good afternoons racing.

Michael
Old 13-08-2013

what we used too call fast in the good old days is now beginners pace lol. you will get addicted to the speed, trust me
Old 16-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
what we used too call fast in the good old days is now beginners pace lol. you will get addicted to the speed, trust me
I may have to come over and have a look on a Sunday with the kids thinking about racing again. The last time I raced at mansfield it was at the old mansfield lesure center on chesterfield road. And yes the pace of cars is so much faster than my lazer would ever go. Not sure if after 23 years my eyes could keep up , but would like to find out. I started racing back in 1982 were has all the time gone.last raced round 1991 I think .any one else race round the late 80s at mansfield ?
Old 19-08-2013

Things didn't go as well as I was anticipating, didn't even get to book in mainly because I am an idiot. I used a charging lead to connect up to the speed controller - result 2 1/2 laps of practice and smoke pouring from under the bodyshell, lifted shell off & found melted wiring. So I went home kicking myself all the way.

Removed all wiring and replaced it with the correct gauge wire, it now looks a lot neater under the shell & the shell fits properly again. Tested the car out using the L IPOs that were in when things shorted out and luckily Speed Controller, Batteries & Sensor Board were all fine but it could have been a very costly mistake.

Now I'll try again on Wednesday if I can make it otherwise next Sunday.

Michael
Old 19-08-2013

The best thing to do is let someone have a quick look if this is your first intall. There may be a better way of doing things..

All the lad are really helpful and can normally get you up and running track side. Theres no point going it alone , when I started I knew nothing and thanks to the guy's I can just about hold my own.

We are always happy to help and it always a challange to getting a car ready with seconds to spare before the race LOL...
Old 19-08-2013

After my car had decided to take up smoking one of the guys did have a look at things, I don't know his name but I believe he works for Rolls Royce. He told me that my wiring was of the wrong sort & I needed 12 gauge, told me my soldering on the speedo needed sorting out (I never was the worlds greatest solderer), he also spotted that the speedo & fan were rubbing on the front belt pulley & needed re-positioning, in fact the only thing I had got right was the pinion/spur gear mesh which he said was perfect. I think The wiring should be ok now it's certainly neater, what do you think I've put photos below.

Old Wiring In Car ---- 01. Old Wiring.jpg

New Wiring In Car ---- 02. New Wiring.jpg

Michael
Old 19-08-2013

You may need to be a bit careful of your black battery cable over your rear belt, but from what I can see that loads better….

Are your tyres bold, or are they just some you mess around with? They may work at Mansfield with some additive but you need some mini pins… You can use the baking method or acetone to remove old tyres. Sally’s hair and beauty – Nr Rosemary St sells the stuff if you need some. Someone at the club may be able to help until you’re sorted. You will find your CAT will eat tyres…

PBM is the best place for tyres and someone from the club is always there for something. Ask around if you can’t get there.

Also may be worth looking for a High grip carpet set up, 4wd tend to grip roll quite a bit if things like ride height and droop is not quite right. Do you own any roll bars?
Old 19-08-2013

Hi spybot, it was me who was looking at your car on sunday, the names Tony although it seems i just cant get away from that rolls royce bit lol....it dont make us all clever and bright you know, i just have done similar things myself so you're not on your own.
I cant see too clearly from your photo how the car is now but if you can make it on wednesday i'll happily take a look for you and i'll make sure i've got my soldering iron too if needs be.
You'll be lining up on the grid by hook or by crook and loving every minute of it soon enough.
Cya wednesday, Tony