Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 14-04-2015

Default differences between rear and mid motor

hi, after a long time away from the hobby , i started to race again this year, i had a rear motor but everyone advised me against using that on astro but on my first race back i was surprised how different the two types drive and react, me not being used to anybut a rear motor embarrased myself by driving probably the worst ive ever driven on a track. I did not come last haha but i know i could do better ( may be a bit rusty)

so i need to adapt and change styles and learn a complete new way of driving and set ups etc.

is there any advice anyone can give to help with adapting?, because im struggling with it.

I am now using an sv2, a pre made one that was not very well built i must say, so also had problems there, and i am thinking of going back to rear motor which what i know and am used to.
Old 14-04-2015

Personally is stick with the mid and try and find a setup for a track you race at from the website below. After a few weeks of driving mid if you go back to rear you will realise how much less corner speed a rear car carries and the mid can b faster in low grip due to the amount of steering they generate

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/schumac...CougarSV2.html

Currently I can't recall the last time I sawa rear car run competitvly - last year I ran a hybrid front motor car and it was as fast if not faster even on blown out grass over most mids so that sort of defied convention lol

I was never a fan of schumacher cars (fiddly and over complicated IMO although there's no doubt the Kf is fast) and if you are still thinking about having rear and mid options you'd be better off picking up a used yokomo bmax 2 kit that can be swapped from rear to mid in about 30 mins if required, durability on this car is very good and they are popular at many tracks also.
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 14-04-2015

yes thanks , im sure it is faster but i do have to change driving style, probabyl a few meetings and practice sessions i will get used to it, and your right about cornering itw where i suffered the most, its was allot of over steer into the fiddly corners , there is way more front grip than im used to and means i turn to much, and habbits are hard to break, and the setup is something else i need to learn with these cars, that clearly is not the same at all,

thanks for your link , ill read it and see if i can improve my car

schumacher cars are ok i have a couple , a kr i built and thats fine but i got lazy and ordered the své built and it was terrible, so much was not in order and i had problems when i raced it with things just not being right with the build and spent the time not racing , trying to put it in order, ive rebuilt it now ( properly ) and when i complained i gotnot reply from them.

thanks for your time
Old 15-04-2015

i find my mid motor car much more forgiving to drive than the b4 it is based on. the b4 was always quite bitey on the steering and a bit snappy on the arse end, but the mid has just as much steering, but with a smoother feel, and a more gentle slightly drifty back end that is much more controllable on throttle, really just a much better behaved car, mine is a homebrew one though and in the end it is all about a setup that works for you on virtually any chassis
Old 20-04-2015

ah yes indeed, set up is different for driving styles, i did ask a question in the schumacher section about tyres, was thinking of running wider tyres (4wd) just to see what happens, or would it be best to stick with slimmer ones?

i have a set of yellow mini spikes lying around and may aswell use them, ive been away so long from the hobby and allot has changed

i have however changed allot of the set up on the car and hopefully that helps( smaller spur and larger pinion for one main change) i should also mention its converted to take a stick lipo and i know that is going to change the charactor of the car probably allot.

guess ill experiment with it until i find what works for me
Old 20-04-2015

i find 4wd fronts good on the front of my 2wd, seems to have a little less bite but just as much overall steering, after surgery with the nail clippers to remove the outer rows that is. saying that, the new car for this year has much more steering so will probably be back to 2 row studs.
Old 20-04-2015

Wbridge, it sounds as something is off on your car, setup-wise. Mid-motor 2wd are much easier to drive on grippy tracks. Make sure that your tyres are good and use a good all-rounder setup. Good luck!

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 21-04-2015

nothing is off on the car(well not now anyway , im just not used to the differences is all i mean , it is easier to drive it just reacts in a way that im not used , the set up sure is ok now, and i think ill try the front 4wd tyres for a round , the way you drive a rear and the way you drive a mid motor is not the same and im stuck in the rear motor habbits that i had. as i said ive just come back to the sport so have to learn it all again

i took a look at the setups on the link and i have coppied one over to mine , with the acception of front tyres, ill keep going until i get used to it
Old 22-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok I have read your post.
If you have not been in the sport for some time, of course things have changed. You tried a SV2 and didn't like it, BUT don't even consider going back to a rear motor car after just 1 meeting!!! That's crazy!! Give it some time. There is some great advice in this thread and be patient!
Old 22-04-2015

yeah your correct, at first i was a bit surprised at the differences and how it affects the cars , but i will be patient and keep going with it, it will take time but im sure ill get it in the end, with the set ups ive seen i should find one that works for me.

not sure what to do with my rear motor cars if there no use these days, may be try it on wet astro when its a bit slippery i guess

but after reading the advice here i will just keep trying until i adapt to it

thanks for taking the time
Old 22-04-2015

I have re read the post and i think it looks like im impatient, and its not what i mean, i know i am not going to do that well being so rusty and just comming back to it, my meaning is for me its difficult driving a car that for me is not so easy to predict ( but i guess that takes time) and that is a little frustrating . its not the first time i drove it at the meeting but it was the first meeting i raced, i did a few practice runs before hand .

sorry for any missunderstanding with this, and thanks allot for the advice
Old 22-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No worries! Hey I've been racing over 10 years and still can't get it right lol.

Give it 6 meetings and then let us know how your getting on.

For me the mid motor cars are sooooooo much better to drive than the rear motor cars. But we all are different. Good luck.
Old 22-04-2015

thanks man haha, appreciated, i will let you guys know how i get on, but horses for courses i guess, its just a different drive and when your not used to the way it behaves its a lil harder, im sure once i got the right setup for me and im used to the way they drive then im sure it will be ok , everyone says its easier and i dont argue with it at all......... but it is a new thing for me and all new ways to learn all part of the challenge
Old 22-04-2015

Tbh if you can get a rm to go round as good as a mm then
it is a good job as there is no excuse for a good set up
im sure if lee martin started using a rm on high grip people would follow off road is the latest trend im just as guilty as the next person ive got a yz2 now but surely if a rm suits you do it and good on ya
Old 21-06-2015

hey, some one said to keep this thread posted so here goes, today i used my new kf2 and the difference between my fastest lap with the sv2 and that car was - the kf2 was 7 seconds faster, so i dont know if the sv2 has problems or it just does not work for me
Old 22-06-2015

hi Wbridge, i too have come back after 20 years off, started with an rc10, love the way rm drive and the techniques used is great fun, but sad to say fm and mm have taken over, i now use a kf2 and within 4 meetings back up in to high b low a finals, good to read your post and here your doing well once adapted.
i keep my rc10 for street use and over the field with either a 2.5t or 4.5t brushless in and the way it goes from understeer to power oversteer is awesome, i long for a wet meeting where i can use it just for fun. i recently used it on an indoor circuit where it was on the shiny sportshall floor, qualified 4th and used thr 4.5t motor in lol is a shame to use astro and not real surfaces but thats progression and change for you.

take care and enjoy your racing
Old 22-06-2015
Mad Member

LOL I can back after 20 odd years and the rc10B4.1 I had was every bit as disappointing as it was first time round. Even in the wet or on dirt.
Old 23-06-2015

hi thanks noddy, yes im doing allot better with the kf2 than the sv2 , i find its all ok now ans new stuff is sinking in , i see you from milton keynes , i used to live there before i left the uk

i have a kr that i may try on soggy wet astro one time for a fit of giggles , other than that its a spares shelfy thing