Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals

Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Nationals commentating

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the commentating on the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the double acts of TT, Rob Rasey, Tony Evdoka and of course DC. I stood and watched a whole load of finals that I didn't even know any one in, you guys really raised your game on the weekend and the atmosphere round the track really benifitted from it. I for one hope that you guys carry on, big thumbs up
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What did other people think? I did here a few people saying it was putting them off while racing, I loved it!
Old 22-06-2009

Cheers for that Craig, had not turned up with commentary in mind but when Truman asked for assistance we had a go and really enjoyed it.
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

I shall watch this thread with interest
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

Its excellent to have the commentating and the team are doing a great job. I think it helps spectators enjoy the sport and watch the fast cars. it helps drivers know where abouts they are and if theyre improving and it also helps the referees out who cant always watch the race and the laptop they get. Plus the added bonus of a bit of comedy
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

I think anyone who can speak clearly and who is willing to spend their time and do the job for free deserves thanks. I think that running commentary during a race is worthwhile and useful... It woudl be great if we were made to submit more details about ourselves when booking in at the start of the season so comentators had to the lo-down and specs on each of us..

What I did find a bit annoying was the non race related random talking.. that stuff should either be left out or done between heats.

Overall though - good job and the mix of talents made for variety over the weekend.
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

Gotta say that i really enjoyed the commentary... It made the meeting feel like a UK National!!
Was informative for spectators and even had some humour in there!!

Reminded me of watching formula 1 with Brundle and good old Murray Walker....

I did hear some moaning but that wasn't about the commentary that was on Racing...
Some drivers were annoyed about hearing weather reports, Legends race and who is in it while they where trying to concentrate on there run... I think the time for that is between heats not during, yes let them know but lets think about the 10 guys trying to put the 'smack down' as Truman would say.

I would hope the commentary stays and Truman has earned the position along side DC and others...

Truman - The Pred is flat but come on a 'Skateboard' ????

Quality job to everyone at EPR... One of the best Meetings i have EVER attended.
Old 22-06-2009

Truman rocks!!!

I am Joe Cockill
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its very good, I like it.

On Saturday a lady came over with her daughter who'd heard it from her house, saw what was going on and came to me and asked "Is this open to the public to watch? Its just my son would really love to see this" so I told her "Ofcause, just make sure to stay behind the fence as it will protect you but your welcome to watch, and come back tomorrow" she seemed quite impressed.

But thats the thing, as normally they just see RC cars and hear the beeps and some dulcet tones over the PA. But the current commentary is top class and easy for somebody who doesn't know us, doesn't know the working, never seen it before - to simply arrive, watch and understand it enough to enjoy it...

*thumbs up*
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

I think the commentary helps to make the meeting, it indirectly introduces all the racers to each other as the names are read out. It also helps spectators to follow the racing and lets people from outside of the hobby know what is going on. I reckon if it puts you off your racing you aren't concentrating hard enough on it, well thats what I got told when I started doing nationals.

All good in my view and long may it continue.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob8246 View Post
Maybe next year the club will remember to inform the local residents that there is a 2 day meeting at the track to avoid any issues.
Yes I am afraid there was an oversight and lack of communication on our part with regard to the neighbours. Since getting the venue up and running, we havent had any noise complaints with our own PA system from the neighbours who literally back on to the venue.

It was our mistake and a shame that it put a dampner on the event for a few of us associated with the club who will have to deal with the backlash. Issues like this can cause long term problems as we all know. We will endeavour to smooth things out with the local residents in the next couple of weeks should we put in/get considered for a National round in 2010.

I did like the doubling up on commentary but we just to have different settings for each of the commentators and their excitement levels!
Old 22-06-2009

Each of the commentators have their own unique style and each one did a fantastic job.
Tony and Rob should (IMO) go into stand up - I was almost in tears listening to them whilst I was in the pits.
MCDC - the perfect blend of race pace, current standings and assistance for the referees to help call the cars through
Tony E - phew - I can't keep up with you fella. Can you talk at all after a national or do your vocal chords need surgery after the weekend.

Atmosphere is everything and you guys all rock.
Cheers for everything
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I was chatting to some old chap who lived locally, he was sat on the picnic tables. He said he had been there 30 minutes and he new which cars was winning, how long the races were, how many laps cars were getting and how fast they were lapping. He was amazed how acuratly the timing equipment was and wanted to know how the laps were counted. After I'd explained how it worked he said he was off to get his grand kids to bring them to watch aswell. Great publicity IMHO
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

How can they complain about the noise when they live next to a railway and sit under one of the busiest flight paths in the world??

seriously, keeping the neighbours and co-facility users happy can be a nightmare.. we have similar issues with 'dog people' and 'chicken people' at oz...

N
Old 22-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloliver View Post
How can they complain about the noise when they live next to a railway and sit under one of the busiest flight paths in the world??
N
So there we have it. Irrefutable fact that Tony E is actually louder than a 747 and an intercity 125 (of which I was surprised to learn still run at 1am on a Sunday morning)
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
So there we have it. Irrefutable fact that Tony E is actually louder than a 747 and an intercity 125 (of which I was surprised to learn still run at 1am on a Sunday morning)
My 3 month old will confirm that trains definately do run past EPR at 1am on a Sunday morning, so will my wife who had to try and get him back to sleep
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It doesn't put me off. In my final I was driving to catch the lead 2 who'd made a gap, I was 3rd from 10th, and DC was reading out the gap to me every few laps which I find VERY encouraging and focusing, didn't do it but I knew I was reducing the gap, and I don't think id have driven to reduce the gap without that from DC....
Old 22-06-2009
Mad Member

Being told that Alan was catching me up through the bum hole made me go quicker....
Old 22-06-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

painful mate!

totally agree with gnarly. Good work guys, keep it up, deffo adds to the national atmosphere
Old 22-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Many thanks for all the kind comments!!!! I really appreciate it