Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 27-01-2007

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser
Default Tamiya connectors

I am in the process of preparing my B4 RS for its first race appearance. I have been mucking about over the last few weeks with a couple of sets of stick packs, getting the hang of the handling etc. Now it's time to think about getting some cells that are more race orientated and I am stuck between getting pre-assembled stick packs or getting loose cells and making my own racing packs.
I have read that Tamiya connectors are not the best and I also notice that they only seem to come with rtr or lower spec models. So is it worth investing more in stick packs with Tamiya connectors or would I be best to change now to a different (deans) type and start assembling my own?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 27-01-2007

Im no expert, but what ever the route you choose to take with pre built packs or your own built packs, Deans or corally connecters are the popular choice amongst others.
The Tamiya connecters really aren't that efficient with respects to current flow.
Old 27-01-2007
Mad Member

Deans are a good choice, you can use them on any kind of battery, just take care when soldering them not to get them too hot and melt the plastic, makes them tricky to plug in.

Corally-type connectors are very popular with side-by-side and saddle pack users, but they are not really suitable to use with stick packs as they are easy to short out.

You can't go wrong with either though.
Old 27-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
I have read that Tamiya connectors are not the best and I also notice that they only seem to come with rtr or lower spec models. So is it worth investing more in stick packs with Tamiya connectors or would I be best to change now to a different (deans) type and start assembling my own?
Thanks in advance for any help.
The Tamiya connectors are cheap and readily available and are on all the built stick packs.

If you are going to stay with stick packs then I would say go with the Deans.

Assembling stick packs is a pain but most of the cars allow you to assemble the cells so that they are all next to each other. That is a lot easier and you can pick up jigs to help in the assembly.

Corally connectors are the most popular but you can reverse connect them if you don't have measures in place.

Last edited by Slowcoach; 27-01-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo