Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 21-06-2012
Mad Member

Default 201 Vega's performance on clay

Hi everyone,

The title pretty much is the question what this topic is about. My club's track (and actually most of the 'nearby' tracks) are clay tracks (no real blue groove or very high bite what I'm aware of). I currently drive a TRF201 and it's a nice drive, but I was offered to drive/try a mid DEX210 and an X6 a while back.

I was very impressed by the way they drove! I didn't expect them to drive that well on anything else than carpet and astroturf, and it seemed I didn't need to focus that much on getting around neatly, so I could focus on flooring it instead!

I am not necessarily looking to get another car, but if the right opportunity occurs I may want to give a mid motor car a try. What immediately popped up for me was a conversion for the car I already have.

So I was wondering... Might the 201 Vega be something for me/the surfaces I mainly drive on?
Old 21-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well the Vega is certainly a good Mid Motor conversion for the 201 so why not!

As to it working well on clay not sure as all the tracks in the UK are high grip.

I'm sure you'll have enough adjustment on the car to get it working if the 210's and X6 work well on your surface.

Go for it!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 21-06-2012

on astro it's good, but on clay...let's say it's not designed for that. probably you could get away with it if setup specifically , but... there are better cars for that purpose...

according to me the biggest problem is the stiffness of the car...it's ultrastiff...and that just can't be good on clay, you will always be looking for grip.
Old 21-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpower View Post
on astro it's good, but on clay...let's say it's not designed for that. probably you could get away with it if setup specifically , but... there are better cars for that purpose...

according to me the biggest problem is the stiffness of the car...it's ultrastiff...and that just can't be good on clay, you will always be looking for grip.
Such as? I'd love your suggestions! The reason I'm asking about the Vega is because I just felt that on my home track I could focus on lapping quickly rather than working the car around the track driving both the mid 210 and the X6. Both cars were set up by two of the top Dutch drivers by the way, but I doubt they'd get my 201 running that nicely!

If stiffness is the problem, perhaps I need a Vega gear case and motor mount and build my own conversion? Of course, it probably won't perform 100% the first time and it will need development, and I doubt actually it will ever be as refined as the work of a company (I don't have the experience and extensive resources), but there's a big fun factor involved!
Old 21-06-2012
Mad Member

I have a Vega and yes, it is mega stiff! The X6 works on clay because of the way it handles due to the design. Going from what I've seen, the Vega shouldn't work on clay. But I may be wrong......
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 22-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We run a very low grip dirt track at club, I have never yet used my RB5 vega on it, I use a heavily reworked madmonkey...as it's fun.

I find mid works very well in the low grip conditions. one of our club members runs his vega on the dirt and it would seem to work very well as long as the setup is right, There seems a fine line between right and wrong tho, as if he gets the setup even a little wrong the car can go from a lap up,to a lap down it seems that sensative.

our track is ultra low grip as here in norfolk our soil is mostly sand and loam so very little grip! if a car can be made to work on this I think you should be able to get some sort of workable setup on clay.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 22-06-2012
Mad Member

Hehe, mixed opinions and expectations it is then?

So the Vega may have potential to work well on clay, but from what I understand (it may be due to it's stiffness?) this right setup can be very tricky to find?

Maybe I should ask Lee about it as well? Surely he has tried it on dirt or clay once?
Old 22-06-2012

Here in France we have very different tracks to run on, from astro tracks, grass tracks, to slick unprepared dirt tracks.

I think that the performance of a mid motor depends a lot of the layout of the track. If it is a big, open track with smooth curves, mid-motor cars performs as well, if not better, than rear-motor cars. But if the track is small, with hairpin turns that ask for point-and-shoot style driving, then you need a rear-motor (on slick dirt tracks, that is).

Also, all mid-motors are not the same. X-6s and Cougars SV2 are good on slippery dirt, where C4s, Vegas and mid-motor 22s seem to struggle quite a bit. I think this is mainly due to the weight distribution and setup possibilities of the cars. For me, C4.1s are only for medium to high grip tracks.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 22-06-2012

for me, my vega rb5 works really well on loose dirt. I find it more forgiving and less on edge than the rear motor, but thats just my opinion. And yes there are x6's and sv's that go very well at my club too.
Old 22-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Hi everyone,

The title pretty much is the question what this topic is about. My club's track (and actually most of the 'nearby' tracks) are clay tracks (no real blue groove or very high bite what I'm aware of). I currently drive a TRF201 and it's a nice drive, but I was offered to drive/try a mid DEX210 and an X6 a while back.

I was very impressed by the way they drove! I didn't expect them to drive that well on anything else than carpet and astroturf, and it seemed I didn't need to focus that much on getting around neatly, so I could focus on flooring it instead!

I am not necessarily looking to get another car, but if the right opportunity occurs I may want to give a mid motor car a try. What immediately popped up for me was a conversion for the car I already have.

So I was wondering... Might the 201 Vega be something for me/the surfaces I mainly drive on?
You have PM