Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-08-2015

Default Help please on over heating motor issue

Hi there

Im running a Speed Passion combo of Reventon Pro and 6.5t motor. The firmware is fully up to date.

I have gone through 4 motors in a few months on what seems to be an over heating issue. I have replaced the ESC yet last night it cooked another motor. Im running low boost and mid range braking. The car seems to have decent air flow from a few cut offs, and theres no obvious cabling issues or loose connections.

The motor now wont pull away, but if I press the throttle, then manually spin two wheels it kicks in, almost like its killed the sensor boards.

The mesh seems fine, and its geared on a 23 tooth pinion.

I run indoors so it is quite warm. Last night as the car cut out, the temp gauge showed it at mid 130 degrees, and the ESC was fine for heat.

If anyone can give me any pointers on how I can prevent losing yet another motor, it would be very much appreciated.

I am at work at the moment, but can post pictures of the internals of the car so you can see how its set up tonight

Thanks so much in advance
Paul

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 18-08-2015

What static motor timing and boost timing are you using?

The two values added together should not exceed the maximum recommended timing for the motor!

I assume all of the transmission/bearings are free running and the belt is not over tight?!
Old 18-08-2015

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I will hook the ESC up tonight and reply with the full settings, as to absolutely honest, being still new to this scene I have no idea.

Both belts are a nice tension, not tight at all. Front diff is slightly hard, but nowhere near enough to cause issues I would think. Running a pretty standard oil in both, and regularly clean and service them

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 18-08-2015
Mad Member

You may be well over geared...

95 spur and 23 pinion is a ratio of 7.43
98 spur and 23 pinion is a ratio of 7.67

I would try a 19 see what happens from there

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 18-08-2015

It has to be a gearing issue Paul, I run the same kit with ridiculous amounts of boost and never have a heating issue or motor issue, with you having to manually spin the wheels to move have you checked sensor cable and the solder joints on motor wires both ends, if one is a dry joint you will have to push car to get to work !!!

www.racing-cars.com
Old 18-08-2015

Ive checked, and replaced the sensor cable and its ok. I have a spare motor which is a 10.5t and when connected to the existing wiring it runs fine, then as soon as put one of the problem ones back in, it wont fire without pushing the wheels off

Ill get a 19 pinion. What spur would you suggest, and Ill try that at same time too?

Old 18-08-2015

Sounds like you've lost a phase in the motor i.e burnt out a winding so probably a lost cause, I have a heat issue with a SP6.5 in a DEX410 but only when using shorties saddles are fine? Yes bizarre 3 different shorties same problem but must have something to do with C rating and gearing as everything is free running when motor removed.
Old 18-08-2015
Mad Member

I think the clue is in the word "braking". When you brake a BL motor it has to fire the coils to work. That generates a lot of heat. If you have drag brake set then take it off. Try just using the brake manually when needed.

If you combine that with your potential over-gearing and over-timing issue, then it would be my view that you are bound to fry the motor every time. HTH