Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 13-03-2012

Default Project Durango is getting there slowly!

well, project Durango is slowly making progress.

The durango arrived and very well packaged it was too. obviously used but it has been well looked after. i don't like the paint job one bit but it'll do for now.

i began to source the electrics after discusssing with Dave and Les (many thanks)

i decided on team orion lipos 5500mAh 90c, found them reasonably priced at my local model shop. £70.99 but, i hit a snag. they seem too big but after some swearing and brute force the battery holder fits ok and the driveshaft clears fine? normal or not?

I also purcahsed the servo at the same place, a Savox 1257tg fast, Strong and reliable according to team durango themselves. £44.00 this fits fine but not sure where the cable is supposed route through?

now, after selling my soul on ebay (still got the kids, it was against ebay policy! ) i have managed to raise the funds for the motor and Speedo and TX/RX.

These came from Modelsport UK next day delivery which was really impressive, if not a little pricey at £6.00 per item.

i decided on Speed Passion for both items as these seem to get good press everywhere in publications and on the the internet.

The speedo is Gran Turismo GT V2.0 LPF and came with programming card( what that does is beyond me!) for £95. this model sells in my local store for £139

The motor is a speed passion Ultra sportsman 13.5T V3 sensored brushless obviously. £40.99 both prices included delivery.

now, here is where i get stuck. HOW ON EARTH DO YOU GET ALL THAT IN A SPACE NO BIGGER THAN MY iPHONE?!

i need serious help.

i have looked at many images of 410's here on the boards and it seems like a work of art, or for those old enough to remember...a Krytpon factor challenge! i have more cables than SEEBOARD and as much space to fit it in as a matchbox! obviously i need to keep the driveshafts clear but i havnt even got the RX yet so thats got to fit in as well, and not to mention a transponder.....

I think i may pay someone to do this for me, cos i definitely aint the right man for the job!

right, seriously though i have noticed i am lacking a few things to get this running.

1. servo arm. team durango alloy part? or aftermarket part?
2. allen head screws for servo and motor. where can i source these?
3. arial mount. does it need an exteranl arial? didnt see them at maritime raceway?
4. Lipo charger/balancer. but i've got an idea of my chosen brand.
5. wheels and tyres to suit club rules.
6. Second mortgage to pay final bill!

i am hoping that i'll be up and running for April and then i'll see if i can drive the bloomin' thing!

Thanks again to those who have taken the time out from busy lives to help with via email and Text. without you guys with the know-how i would be struggling to understand the requirements.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0247.jpg (92.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (112.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 13-03-2012
Mad Member

Are you going to faversham tomorrow night?
If so come and see me and I will sort it all for you
Just ask for Scott Dickinson, not dixon! Lol
Old 13-03-2012
Mad Member

Ian - as Scott says - come up when you're able to as it'll be a lot easier to get someone with "the knowledge" to show you how to cram it all in than try and explain on here.

Glad you're getting along nicely with the kit. We'll soon have you out on track wondering what you've let yourself in for!!!

Any help I can give - you've got my email address
Old 13-03-2012

Cheers guys, no can do this week. got parents evening for my 17 yr old son from 6-8pm by the time i get back home and i've hung drawn and quarted him it'll be too late.

i'll be there soon. at the moment real life just seems to getting in the way. i keep this thread updated with purchases and who know's i may even have a go myself...just need a soldering iron as well.

Thanks for the offer of help, you guys are great!
Old 13-03-2012
Mad Member

Have a rummage thro the "lets see your" thread on 410s, or search for electrics and 410. It is VERY tight as you will see!

If you haven't yet bought your Rx/Tx it might be worth having a look thro those threads first, as most (?) many installs (mine included) have resorted to micro receivers. It makes life a lot easier.
Old 13-03-2012
Mad Member

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31939

Some ideas for you.
Old 13-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Thanks matt, slowly wading my way through the images in that thread, it certainly looks like a work of art once it is all squeezed in!

i'll wait until i have the receiver in my posession until i see what goes where and lay it before i try to install it.

does everything just get stuck in with double sided sticky?

oh, and can someone tell me where i get extra bolts/screws from? for servo and motor?

also what about the pinion? where do i source that?

sorry for all the questions but if i can get all parts before i start to locate everything it'll make it easier.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 13-03-2012

Definately speak to Scott as he is the pro when it comes to RC cars..

I'm the other Scott and race a DEX410 at the mo and Scott did my install a while ago and it is still the same, brilliant!!

Good luck with the racing,

Scott.. (the other one)
Old 14-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000rider View Post
does everything just get stuck in with double sided sticky?

oh, and can someone tell me where i get extra bolts/screws from? for servo and motor?

also what about the pinion? where do i source that?
Yup, double sided tape, strong double sided tape!! Or Shoe goo has been mentioned. ESCs are quite weighty and *can* come loose if you have a big landing (or crash). Have a rummage round on any of the mail order websites or ask at the club/local hobby shop and you'll find tape or glue of some description which is rated to hold ESCs in.
According to the manual its M3x6mm TD705001 bolts for the servo, then M3x8 TD705002 bolts for the motor and 3x6x0.5 TD709007 washers for both...... you can get them from most of the TD stockists, or just look for the equivalent metric sized bolts (they are all buttonheads).
Most (metric) manufacturers use those sizes in many places.
Pinions, same thing, can get them from any of the mail order places/LHS, you'll probably need to get a couple or three to experiment with, and changes to inside/outside, track and so on. Something around 19-22T would be a passable start point (i have 19 thro to 23 kicking around, will probably get some more soon, and some different sized spurs too), you'll need a 48DP pinion for your durango, get anything else and it'll eat spur gears, and it'll run even louder than a 410 does normally
Old 14-03-2012
Mad Member

For fav you will need 26/27/28 pinions 48dp I run 27
All the screws are sold trackside by xtremerc
Servo tape is sold at maplins ( double sided black foam tape ) in a large reel that will last years , about £4.50
Hth's
Old 14-03-2012

you dont want button heads for the motor, use a cap head bolt 2.5mm socket head, so you can crank it in without stripping the bolt head, not to tight as all brushless motors are ally cans!
Old 14-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkclifford View Post
you dont want button heads for the motor, use a cap head bolt 2.5mm socket head, so you can crank it in without stripping the bolt head, not to tight as all brushless motors are ally cans!
Bit of a trade off there Either strip the bolt and struggle to get it out, or strip the can.......
Old 14-03-2012

as all 410 owners know its a bit of a crotch, to do the motor up and the 2mm hex in the button head is to easily rounded.
Old 15-03-2012

Best i go easy then.....
Old 20-03-2012

The final pieces of the durango jigsaw are coming finally together, i have ordered a Spektrum DX3C with RX and a core digital lipo charger and all the neccessary bolts/screws and sticky tape and it all should be here today at some point.

i must say, i have been using modelsport and i have found their service to be fantastic! order before 3pm and receive next day. prices are the most reasonable on the net too, cheaper than most ebay outlets. I have also been using JESpares, they seem pretty good too.

once i have it all in my posession i can think about the install, i know i have been offered help for this but i have found an install pic that works with my ESC and i am gonna attempt it myself. more of a sense of achievment that way seeing as i didn't build the 410 myself.

The last things i need are new wheels and tyres. but they can wait, as i am not ready to race yet.

Oh, ive also ordered a new shell and with graphics sheet, cos the one it came with is awful. anyone know where i can it airbrushed, local to me in kent?

Thanks

Ian
Old 21-03-2012

it all arrived yesterday and today i laid it all out in position ready to install and have soldered the motor wires to the ESC and connected the sensor wires and servo cable, it is a tight fit but it'll go in no problem but i do need to shorten cable lengths.

is it ok to cut down motor cables shorter and battery cables too? they seem far too long and the servo cable is massively long too, this though, i can deal with.

i have this picture which i am working too, so i know what goes where. does this look acceptable? (taken from install thread).

what i cant see in this pitcure is the arial? where does that go?

i'll take some pictures this week once everything is in position, before i go sticking it all down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed passion install.jpg (316.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 21-03-2012

The aerial fits in a plastic holder the screw for this is just behind the servo horn offset to the right. In this pict the proper hope is covered with with the speedo, so ots been moved to behind the reciever.

2 point to note,

Are you not running the capacitors?

Will the shell fit with the reciever on its side?
Old 23-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkclifford View Post
The aerial fits in a plastic holder the screw for this is just behind the servo horn offset to the right. In this pict the proper hope is covered with with the speedo, so ots been moved to behind the reciever.

2 point to note,

Are you not running the capacitors?

Will the shell fit with the reciever on its side?
i will be running the capacitors and they fit next to the RX towards the front.

now, i have a problem, i want battery cables that solder directly to the ESC and just push into the Lipo's but the standard cables have the balancing cable fitted as well. which means they'll be flapping around.

can these be made? as you can see in the picture, this guys cable look bespoke for this purpose. so, when i charge, i unplug the cables from the ESC and plug in the standard ones that come with the Lipo's with the balancer cable. does that make sense?
Old 23-03-2012

You mean the link wire to pair the two halves of the lipo?

Yes short price of wire and 2 4mm gold banana plugs.
Old 23-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000rider View Post
i will be running the capacitors and they fit next to the RX towards the front.

now, i have a problem, i want battery cables that solder directly to the ESC and just push into the Lipo's but the standard cables have the balancing cable fitted as well. which means they'll be flapping around.

can these be made? as you can see in the picture, this guys cable look bespoke for this purpose. so, when i charge, i unplug the cables from the ESC and plug in the standard ones that come with the Lipo's with the balancer cable. does that make sense?
Ian - what cables are supplied with your charger to hook up to the lipo? Positive, negative, and a balancing plug of some kind?