Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 08-12-2007

Default slipper advice?

hi, my slippers been backing off too much lately so im about to rebuild it with new threadlock. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips for maintenance on the pads and plates, also how can i tell when the pads/plates need replacing?

ta in advance
Old 10-12-2007

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Hi,
The plates shouldn't really need replacing unless they look burnt or warped. It should and normally is the pad that will take the majority of abuse.

Maintenance:
Once your slipper starts slipping on a setting you've had for a while it usually means your pads are starting to glaze over. This is a warning sign to rebuild ASAP. You can turn over the pads as the the pad only works on one side, but when you do it I suggest you order yourself a new set of pads the next time you rebuild, you'll want to put new pads in.

The glazing on the pads is real easy to see and feel, the pad will have a mirror style finish to it and will feel real smooth. There's no point tightening up your slipper at this point to make the slipper feel like it's working again. Once it's got glazed it never works quite right, it loses consistency and actually get worse (starts slipping more) faster as heat builds up.

If you have no spare pads you can 'rough up' the surface of the pad using a scalpel by dragging the whole of the blade across the surface. It will get you out of trouble until you can order some new ones from your LHS..

Hope this helps