Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 06-07-2014

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo
Default Squared v Cubed v S

I've been out of the loop for a while and am catching up on the latest developments. I note there are a few X6 variants now, and was wondering how they differed (handling, maintenance, running costs etc)?

My Squared was the best racing buggy I used in a short, mediocre career.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 07-07-2014

Can't comment on the squared but I had a cubed and now an S. I prefer the S as I like the superb steering and front end grip I get from it. The high speed corner grip is much better, the downside is that you can't just nail it out of a corner like the cubed unless the grip is very high as on power traction is lower. I drive it on indoor carpet mostly and I am much faster and consistent than with the cubed, usually a final better than before.

I have a Durango gear diff for the S which I like most of the time but I do swap for the ball diff if there is a lot of slippy or wet outside.

Running cost wise, I have hardly spent anything on spares for either car, a ball diff rebuild every couple of months and that's it. The S does eat tyres faster than the cubed though but that goes for all the front motor cars I believe, down to the faster corner speed and lower traction spinning up the rears more.
Old 07-07-2014
Mad Member

I bought a cubed a while back to build a S version but never got round to it. I used the cube and was surprised how good it was. I ran it on wet grass and it was awesome.

I tried it on astro and it was really good on that too.

I would recommend one. You can pick them up fairly cheap.

Parts are cheap too.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 14-07-2014

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll first try to get the squared back on the track and take it from there.

I note that with the B4 lineage finally retired, parts will perhaps become a little less plentiful, but they are very robust buggies, and I do have a good stockpile.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 13-08-2014

Cutting 42 I have just purchased a cubed and also have a squared, does the durango gear diff fit straight into these do you know?
Old 13-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus.1 View Post
Cutting 42 I have just purchased a cubed and also have a squared, does the durango gear diff fit straight into these do you know?

No it does not. To my knowledge there is no way to fit a geared diff to the cubed or squared as the associated geared diff has metric outdrives and the XFactory gearbox is imperial only.

The durango diff could be made to fit the X6-S as it has a B44 rear end and gearbox. The conversions are done by Ben Jemison - Ben - on oOple but now the new B44.3 is coming out with geared diffs as a AE part that would be the best and cheapest way to get them.
Old 26-08-2014

The new B44.3 comes with gear diffs and uses the same gear cases so a drop in will be available soon.
Old 27-08-2014
oOple Advertiser

The X6-S will take any gear diff intended for or adapted to fit the B44 range, the X6 Cubed (or X6 Squared for that matter) use the original B4 "imperial" ball diff (not the newer metric one found on the B4.2) and at present there is no geared diff that will adapt to fit these cars.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636