Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 02-01-2019

Default TRF211 3 Gear Laydown conversion kit

Thought I'd share a conversion I've been working on this summer for us Tamiya fans out there. It's a 3 gear laydown conversion for the TRF211XM and TRF201XM/XMW. I designed a new gear case and got it printed at Shapeways. The shock mount and battery strap are also bespoke and available from Fibre Lyte. It uses the Yokomo YZ2 CA 43t idler and motor mount, but everything else is Tamiya. Mine's got the TA06 gear diff in it, but you can fit the ball diff with spacers and shims, just like the 211XM and 201XMW.

You need to lop off the rear battery posts on the 211 tub and drill a hole in the lip at the rear to access the bottom motor fixing screw. I did a hole guide on Shapeways as well to get the new holes for the battery stop.

This is my electronics install. Hobbywing Quicrun BL120 ESC and 4000kv Speed Passion 10.5R MMM. I still like 40Mhz radios, hence the size of the Rx

I'm running 26/77 gearing for a 7.7 FDR. I've not raced it, but it's been run plenty at RHR on track days.

The body is a Team Azarashi Fascia for a YZ2 which incorporates the spur gear cover. Ken Reith from Cobra Products has built his onto a custom made aluminium chassis and used a Penguin XB2 body.

The parts list and instructions are over on my Shapeways store, CTE RC

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cotic-rc

Hope you like it. Cheers!
Old 02-01-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That looks great. Nice to see another option. You could also try the Kyosho RB6.6 or RB7 body. These both are a perfect fit.....

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 02-01-2019

Send a message via MSN to jasonrcb

This is Kens Cobra Racing version,cobra chassis and side rails,ken also made a custom motor plate which bolts to the chassis so being able to run without a waterfall

We had the test day at Coventry last sunday and in low grip wet slippy conditions the car went great with positive feedback from those who drove the car,more testing this weekend and track time to get used to the car

The gearbox is great work and super quality,so tamiya fans it's worth giving it a try,nice to race something different from the rest
Old 03-01-2019

Thanks for the kind words. Would be great if it got a few more Tamiya buggies racing again.