Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 12-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
You racing at mendip bud? worm still a thing?
Yes mate, racing 1/8th Onroad RX still! We only change our tyres every 3-4 months . Also at Bristol club racing indoor on a Thursday evening.

Hope you are tempted with a comeback seeing as you are lurking oOple!

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 12-02-2020

Default Usa 🇺🇸

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyRacer View Post
A 17.5t class could help

- Closer racing
- Less tyre wear due to slower motors
- Potential to have a nominated tyre like a Schumacher Spike that lasts longer
- Most offroad tracks are less powder dependant due to the bumpy tracks

People wouldn't be forced to run this class, there would still be the open 'mod' class - this would just be an option. We're not talking at national level either, where 'everyone would buy the fastest available motor'... we're talking club level.

It would be more about tuning your car, getting the most out of it and driving to carry corner speed. Rather than how it is at the moment with absolutely nailing it between turns.

As someone pointed out above, this is the class of choice over in America after all!
I would like to see a stock class over here,but they have had a lot of problems in the last couple years in America and most clubs have gone to 21.5 to try and stop people from cheating if you look on YouTube there should be a video from the J concept national which has gone 21.5 racing
Old 13-02-2020

There is actually some middle ground here that no one has mentioned so far I believe.. 10.5 motors

Very quick motors still but smoother than full mod so you don't kill your tyres every run ..

I came back for a little buggy racing at my regional last year and ran 10.5 in with full mod class .. my car was very nearly as quick as mod on the straights but much smoother through the corners and getting the power down was really easy making the car super consistent and to be honest it was a joy to drive !!!

and because of the smoother power delivery 1 single set of tyres was good for a days racing
Old 14-02-2020
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post
There is actually some middle ground here that no one has mentioned so far I believe.. 10.5 motors

Very quick motors still but smoother than full mod so you don't kill your tyres every run ..

I came back for a little buggy racing at my regional last year and ran 10.5 in with full mod class .. my car was very nearly as quick as mod on the straights but much smoother through the corners and getting the power down was really easy making the car super consistent and to be honest it was a joy to drive !!!

and because of the smoother power delivery 1 single set of tyres was good for a days racing
So no need for a a separate class just run the motor to suit the track or the driver.
Old 14-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyRacer View Post
A 17.5t class could help

- Closer racing
- Less tyre wear due to slower motors
- Potential to have a nominated tyre like a Schumacher Spike that lasts longer
- Most offroad tracks are less powder dependant due to the bumpy tracks

People wouldn't be forced to run this class, there would still be the open 'mod' class - this would just be an option. We're not talking at national level either, where 'everyone would buy the fastest available motor'... we're talking club level.

It would be more about tuning your car, getting the most out of it and driving to carry corner speed. Rather than how it is at the moment with absolutely nailing it between turns.

As someone pointed out above, this is the class of choice over in America after all!
I'm sorry but it will encourage drivers to seek the latest motor, lipo at club level, it happens in tc gt12 at club level now.

spikes of any sort give max grip when new.
Old 14-02-2020

If you're all worried about tyre wear. Simply pick a tyre with less grip that's harder simple really. That will then Force people onto slower Motors
Old 14-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Yes mate, racing 1/8th Onroad RX still! We only change our tyres every 3-4 months . Also at Bristol club racing indoor on a Thursday evening.

Hope you are tempted with a comeback seeing as you are lurking oOple!
i may or may not have bought a buggy....

where is the bristol track?

PHULL PHAT - Phat Bodies
Old 14-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
i may or may not have bought a buggy....

where is the bristol track?
Good to hear mate! I'll fire you a message on facebook. I've bought one too because there's a load of events at Mendip this year... oOple., regional and end of season finals! Haven't had a buggy for a while (not as long as you lol)

Got a tonne of electrics kicking around if you're after anything

Old 14-02-2020

This thread shows another thing that happens with stock racing...

In one page we've got one guy who wants a 21.5, another a 17.5, and another a 10.5.

So what you end up with are lots of stock classes so everyone can run a motor that suits their preference, and heavily diluted racing. Look at any american race and you'll see 15 classes each with a heat or two.

One of the best bits of buggy racing is turning up to a club race and racing against a whole field of people, rather than just 4 or 5 who happen to have chosen the same class/motor.
Old 14-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
This thread shows another thing that happens with stock racing...

In one page we've got one guy who wants a 21.5, another a 17.5, and another a 10.5.

So what you end up with are lots of stock classes so everyone can run a motor that suits their preference, and heavily diluted racing. Look at any american race and you'll see 15 classes each with a heat or two.

One of the best bits of buggy racing is turning up to a club race and racing against a whole field of people, rather than just 4 or 5 who happen to have chosen the same class/motor.
Old 16-02-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

This is exactly why so many buggy racers 'join' the Schumacher team... for the tyre discount!!
Schumacher aren't daft - they make tyres that wear out fast and then quietly chip away at the racing community - giving average drivers 'B' drives - where they basically get a discount for buying direct and cut out your LHS

It's all wrong IMO - we should run harder compound tyres - and everyone (except perhaps the world class / full time team drivers) should have to buy them from their LHS.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 16-02-2020

Yes, Schumacher are not really helping the situation with this but until there is a tyre limit rule put in place it will continue. it seems the general feeling on the expense of tyres per meeting is an issue that alot of people feel is a problem so it needs to be taken seriously. One question is......will this have a damaging effect on the hobby in terms of people quitting if it doesn't change and how damaging will it be ?.

Last edited by adey; 16-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 16-02-2020

People go back to limit on tyres but I remember Nationals in the day with this rule. If you made a mistake on the first lap you just pulled off to save them for the next run. Have limited track time as it is and that made it worse. We now have a lap or 2 warm up which doesn't help. Not just the Brand mentioned. Any new tyre will have an advantage over a one run set. We save hundreds on batteries and motors now compared to 20 years ago the tyre part is not as bad as made out to the whole budget for racing. Should just make the most of what you can afford and just be out having fun racing.

Would you enjoy the day less running on a blue instead of a yellow compound and saving money? Still be on the limit driving all day but maybe a few places back. Still out racing.
On track days my 96bhp xr2 is just as much fun on track. Yes get passed on the straights but price per smile on the bends is great.
Old 16-02-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you race indoors on carpet - it's simple really - Buy tyres or don't be competitive.
Our club limits rears to 1 set per meeting for the 'Championship' meetings - but at regular club and Wednesday nights meetings - anything goes. A new set of tyres is the difference between the A final and C final - racing is very close and maybe a couple of seconds split around a dozen drivers. New set of tyres can give you a few 10'th's per lap....

Tyres are everything in buggy racing as everything else (kit wise) is a level playing field these days.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 17-02-2020

We race micro's indoors on carpet - virtually everyone uses foams so the racing is pretty evenly matched. Foams last 6mths+. Micros very rarely break even in pretty big crashes. We want to see youngsters join & race with us & tyres are a big ongoing expense.

Each to his own really.
Old 17-02-2020
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Having a quick scout through this thread and it’s quite interesting! I had my best result at southport oople last year, I qualified 7th in the A (usually just about make the A on a club day!) I used the proline pyramid in the harder compound and used the same set all day, I’ve used them for two club meetings after that and they’re just about dead for racing but fine to do some practice laps... As such they will be my tyre of choice (where permitted) for the upcoming season

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 18-02-2020

Good inputs about tyres. So if you wanted to use a firmer, better wearing tyre that still went well. What would you suggest for astro? Anyone tried all 3 of the below?

Proline Pyramid Z3 vs Proline Pinpoints Z3 vs Schumacher Dart Blue

It would still be nice to see a stock class using the above tyres to tighten up the field and get some closer racing with slower motors.

Last edited by BuggyRacer; 18-02-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 21-02-2020
Mad Member

Schumacher even have a lightweight Laydown out, love this! - https://www.racing-cars.com/cougar-l...-spec-kit-k181

Old 21-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Schumacher even have a lightweight Laydown out, love this! - https://www.racing-cars.com/cougar-l...-spec-kit-k181
Who decided to use the captain America colour scheme
Old 22-02-2020

I am pretty sure it is the late Nicky Hayden's helmet design